“A Wonderful place to rest and,take walks and swim while attending the Castlton Festival” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Airlie

Win a FREE Meeting
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Warrenton
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

This is my first time here.The wonderful Castleton Festival,45 min of back roads is on its fifth year and had a package arrangement with the Airlie Center.I got here at 1pm on Friday,swam and took walks,was greeted like a VIP with a Welcome tray of fruit,crackers,cheese and wine.
The grounds have winding roads and several lodges/cottages.My room was in a charming lodge,with the living/sitting room area looking like a ski lodge.Breaksfast buffet was wonderful.
I would recommend this for a weekend away even if you do not have an event to attend!

Room Tip: You may ask for the type of room you want,and there are handicapped access rooms.My room was on the...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Bre D, Public Relations Manager at Airlie, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
We're so glad you enjoyed your stay and our many amenities on property. Please come back and see us again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Madison
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

The food is Amazing! The chefs at Airlie create tasty dishes and fabulous food displays. It's great that the food is local and their Kitchen Garden called the Local Food Project provides fresh organic food for guests to enjoy.

I highly recommend that if you stay at Airlie then you absolutely must stop by the 4 acre Local Food Project vegetable garden onsite. It's a great setting for a Vintage shabby-chic outdoor wedding as well.

Garden Tours, a Fall festival and garden workshops are great activities for groups of all ages to enjoy the outdoors! Winetasting Parties, Local Food Picnics and Capture-the-Flag teambuilding are some of the most popular activities within the fall Cornmaze at the Local Food Project garden!

If you're looking to enjoy the great outdoors then visit here:

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Bre D, Public Relations Manager at Airlie, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
We're so glad you enjoyed the food and the Local Food Project. Come back soon!
akloer
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

My company had its annual retreat at Airlie Center for the second year in a row, and the whole experience was amazing. The grounds are some of the most beautiful I've ever seen in a retreat center, and full of great amenities like free bikes you can take anywhere on the property, a beautiful farm that grows local food for the dining room, and exciting wildlife (take the warnings not to mess with the swans seriously!)

But perhaps Airlie's best gem is their staff. We were a group of 170, sometimes boisterous, sometimes ESL-speaking, sometimes full of urgent requests, and they were all met with friendliness and helpfulness. By the end of the week, we knew the names of many of the staff and they knew ours. No request was too big or too small. They felt like part of our company family.

I would highly recommend Airlie for impeccable service and lovely views. It's a fun, relaxing, sort of place.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
We are so glad you enjoyed your retreat. It was as much fun for us as it was for you! Come back and see us soon!
Leesburg, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

My husband and I just returned from a weekend stay at the Airlie Center, we were hoping that it would be a lovely luxury getaway weekend for us, but it was definitely a bit more miss than hit.

The Airlie Center property is beautiful with lots of meadows and wooded areas, abundant wildlife, and a garden where we were even able to pick and eat some strawberries. Sadly though, the real beauty ends there. The property has a lot of geese, some bunnies, squirrels, and swans, and a even a few fox, great for nature lovers! However, the lakes and ponds on property are overtaken by a lot of very unattractive pond scum, the swans actually came out of the mucky water looking gray and dirty. The garden grows some veggies and even has an apiary section from which they get their very remarkable and yummy honey that they sell, but many of the plants looked like they were being wasted, we just wanted to pick them to take home and make good use of them!

So, all in all, the property is a nice getaway, but sadly, the rooms and breakfast left a lot to be desired.

When we arrived on property we were unsure of where to go, it is a campus style property and with such has many different entrances and buildings, none of which clearly denote where you should go to check in, more signs would be helpful! Once we figured out to check in at the Airlie House itself, we were greeted and signed in. During the process the hotel agent was very friendly, but not very informative. There is this huge, great property, we expected to get a bit of insight into what we could find to do and where, but none was offered, we were even told the wrong location for our breakfast.

We went back to our car to drive over to the Lodge which is where our room was and entered our room. Immediately we were greeted by 4 stinkbugs! Even worse in my opinion, we had purchased a deal which included a wine and cheese presentation that was waiting for us in the room... so someone had been in there not too long before and there were 4 stinkbugs in one small room... had they just overlooked them? We also found several more dead around the room... I am not a fan of bugs or unclean places, so this was not the start I was looking for.

The King bed was actually two smaller beds pushed together with a pretty obvious gap in between and the bathroom was small and very unremarkable. For the amount of money the rooms typically go for, I was pretty shocked. I am not sure that I would even pay the half price that I did to go back again! The walls were pretty thin, we could hear our neighbor singing to himself and anyone in the hallway.

The job that the housekeeping crew did the next day while we were out was poor, just a quick pull up of the covers on the bed really, they didn't even replace our toiletries.

Breakfast was not much better, there were good choices for beverages, lots of juices, coffee, and tea, but no milk. There were some breads and pastries and a tray of slices of a smoked meat and a very hard over-smoked salmon, both of which looked like they had been sitting our too long. Then there was one waitress that could make waffles or omelettes. Thank goodness for her, or there would be nothing else to eat! She did her best, but was set up with a tiny table and pan, not making her life any easier, and again, she was the only one, so the line got long.

What made it worse was that there was another buffet area that we had to walk through to get to where our breakfast was served, so we also got to see all that we were missing by being shoveled into this hot back room.

Pretty on the outside, but expect anything special on closer inspection.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dave H, Public Relations Manager at Airlie, responded to this review, June 7, 2013
Lauren – thanks for this feedback. This is a very comprehensive review, and helps us tremendously. While we love praise as much as anybody, that’s not what helps us get better. We can only improve by learning where we fall short in a guest’s eyes. There are several things that you pointed out that are addressable, and will be corrected. We sincerely apologize for anything you found lacking in your stay. We hope that in the near future you will give us another chance to give you the best experience possible here at Airlie.
Ashburn, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

What a spot theplace is just quality from the food to the gardens it is a magical place. I would say one of the most beautiful places I have been. The only downside was ac was broken in the room but beyond that top knotch

Room Tip: Stay in main house bed was great but room like a dorm
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dave H, Public Relations Manager at Airlie, responded to this review, May 8, 2013
Dear Hogan2013 -

We'd like to thank you for this wonderful review. And we'd like to thank Mother Nature for our beauty – we couldn't have done it without her. As employees, we also think it is a magical place, and to be honest it really never gets old seeing it all. For those things out of our control, like nature, we are extremely fortunate. For those things under our control, like the food, the décor, the rooms and even the air conditioning, we certainly try our best to make sure everything is as perfect as we can make it. But if you do experience a problem, we also pride ourselves on listening to customers and reacting quickly. To that end, we certainly apologize for the problems you had with your air conditioning, but also hope we resolved it for you in a timely manner. Thanks again, and we hope to see you here at Airlie again very soon!
Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

Not much to say. Like many older historic hotels it is NOT up to date and all remodeled. My first day there I had no hot water, for ex. but then the rest of the time it was fine. I think it bases itself on tradition and history and the beauty of its grounds and main center. I say this because the rooms are not enough to bring people back. Oh, but the food truly is spectacular. I enjoy it. I enjoy the bike riding available and the relaxing atmosphere. Unfortunately, I am usually there (I have been there 2 times) for business. Staff is nice but not overwhelmingly nice (professional). So: Food: excellent. Rooms and the rest - good. The grounds - beautiful. Difficult to get to unless you have a vehicle - that is an issue for business travelers.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Christy P, Manager at Airlie, responded to this review, October 23, 2013
Hi desertmidwife: great news! We are in the midst of a room refresh so now you can enjoy our accommodations as much as you do our food and idyllic, natural setting. We hope to see you again soon!

Airlie Management
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

My work held a conference here. The grounds were beautiful - it was a very relaxing area.

I stayed in the Silo building. At the time, there was a stink bug infestation and despite the best efforts of the staff, I ended up killing about a dozen of them before going to bed (I didn't feel like bothering housekeeping when I had a nice magazine that worked just fine). The bedroom was large and overlooked the pool, while the bathroom was nicely redone. The free WiFi worked great as well. I liked that the building wasn't a typical 'high-rise' hotel with a huge parking lot. There were bicycles available to bike between the Silo building and the main building, although it was not a far walk. The walls weren't extremely thin, but I could still hear some people enjoying watching a football game in another room.

I cut through the English garden at one point and was dismayed that it was full of spider webs and overgrown greenery. It's beautiful to look at, but it seems as though it wasn't very well kept up.

The room we held our conference in had some temperature difficulties - the cold air blew right on me in one corner of the room, but the room was a bit warm on the other side.

The food was good - a decent variety of foods that were all organic and some made from the manor's own garden. I especially liked the honey butter - I could have eaten that for a meal itself.

From what I overheard, the conference was a bit expensive (and they charged something like $100 to add a guest speaker for dinner), but I think the quality was very good.

I enjoyed having our work conference here and think if you're looking for a beautiful spot for a wedding, this should be a place to check out.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business

Been to Airlie? Share your experiences!