“Beautiful property, sub par rooms and amenities.” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Celebrate Summer
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Warrenton
Leesburg, Virginia
“Beautiful property, sub par rooms and amenities.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

My husband and I just returned from a weekend stay at the Airlie Center, we were hoping that it would be a lovely luxury getaway weekend for us, but it was definitely a bit more miss than hit.

The Airlie Center property is beautiful with lots of meadows and wooded areas, abundant wildlife, and a garden where we were even able to pick and eat some strawberries. Sadly though, the real beauty ends there. The property has a lot of geese, some bunnies, squirrels, and swans, and a even a few fox, great for nature lovers! However, the lakes and ponds on property are overtaken by a lot of very unattractive pond scum, the swans actually came out of the mucky water looking gray and dirty. The garden grows some veggies and even has an apiary section from which they get their very remarkable and yummy honey that they sell, but many of the plants looked like they were being wasted, we just wanted to pick them to take home and make good use of them!

So, all in all, the property is a nice getaway, but sadly, the rooms and breakfast left a lot to be desired.

When we arrived on property we were unsure of where to go, it is a campus style property and with such has many different entrances and buildings, none of which clearly denote where you should go to check in, more signs would be helpful! Once we figured out to check in at the Airlie House itself, we were greeted and signed in. During the process the hotel agent was very friendly, but not very informative. There is this huge, great property, we expected to get a bit of insight into what we could find to do and where, but none was offered, we were even told the wrong location for our breakfast.

We went back to our car to drive over to the Lodge which is where our room was and entered our room. Immediately we were greeted by 4 stinkbugs! Even worse in my opinion, we had purchased a deal which included a wine and cheese presentation that was waiting for us in the room... so someone had been in there not too long before and there were 4 stinkbugs in one small room... had they just overlooked them? We also found several more dead around the room... I am not a fan of bugs or unclean places, so this was not the start I was looking for.

The King bed was actually two smaller beds pushed together with a pretty obvious gap in between and the bathroom was small and very unremarkable. For the amount of money the rooms typically go for, I was pretty shocked. I am not sure that I would even pay the half price that I did to go back again! The walls were pretty thin, we could hear our neighbor singing to himself and anyone in the hallway.

The job that the housekeeping crew did the next day while we were out was poor, just a quick pull up of the covers on the bed really, they didn't even replace our toiletries.

Breakfast was not much better, there were good choices for beverages, lots of juices, coffee, and tea, but no milk. There were some breads and pastries and a tray of slices of a smoked meat and a very hard over-smoked salmon, both of which looked like they had been sitting our too long. Then there was one waitress that could make waffles or omelettes. Thank goodness for her, or there would be nothing else to eat! She did her best, but was set up with a tiny table and pan, not making her life any easier, and again, she was the only one, so the line got long.

What made it worse was that there was another buffet area that we had to walk through to get to where our breakfast was served, so we also got to see all that we were missing by being shoveled into this hot back room.

Pretty on the outside, but expect anything special on closer inspection.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dave H, Public Relations Manager at Airlie, responded to this review, June 7, 2013
Lauren – thanks for this feedback. This is a very comprehensive review, and helps us tremendously. While we love praise as much as anybody, that’s not what helps us get better. We can only improve by learning where we fall short in a guest’s eyes. There are several things that you pointed out that are addressable, and will be corrected. We sincerely apologize for anything you found lacking in your stay. We hope that in the near future you will give us another chance to give you the best experience possible here at Airlie.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Ashburn, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

What a spot theplace is just quality from the food to the gardens it is a magical place. I would say one of the most beautiful places I have been. The only downside was ac was broken in the room but beyond that top knotch

Room Tip: Stay in main house bed was great but room like a dorm
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dave H, Public Relations Manager at Airlie, responded to this review, May 8, 2013
Dear Hogan2013 -

We'd like to thank you for this wonderful review. And we'd like to thank Mother Nature for our beauty – we couldn't have done it without her. As employees, we also think it is a magical place, and to be honest it really never gets old seeing it all. For those things out of our control, like nature, we are extremely fortunate. For those things under our control, like the food, the décor, the rooms and even the air conditioning, we certainly try our best to make sure everything is as perfect as we can make it. But if you do experience a problem, we also pride ourselves on listening to customers and reacting quickly. To that end, we certainly apologize for the problems you had with your air conditioning, but also hope we resolved it for you in a timely manner. Thanks again, and we hope to see you here at Airlie again very soon!
Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

Not much to say. Like many older historic hotels it is NOT up to date and all remodeled. My first day there I had no hot water, for ex. but then the rest of the time it was fine. I think it bases itself on tradition and history and the beauty of its grounds and main center. I say this because the rooms are not enough to bring people back. Oh, but the food truly is spectacular. I enjoy it. I enjoy the bike riding available and the relaxing atmosphere. Unfortunately, I am usually there (I have been there 2 times) for business. Staff is nice but not overwhelmingly nice (professional). So: Food: excellent. Rooms and the rest - good. The grounds - beautiful. Difficult to get to unless you have a vehicle - that is an issue for business travelers.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Christy P, Manager at Airlie, responded to this review, October 23, 2013
Hi desertmidwife: great news! We are in the midst of a room refresh so now you can enjoy our accommodations as much as you do our food and idyllic, natural setting. We hope to see you again soon!

Airlie Management
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

My work held a conference here. The grounds were beautiful - it was a very relaxing area.

I stayed in the Silo building. At the time, there was a stink bug infestation and despite the best efforts of the staff, I ended up killing about a dozen of them before going to bed (I didn't feel like bothering housekeeping when I had a nice magazine that worked just fine). The bedroom was large and overlooked the pool, while the bathroom was nicely redone. The free WiFi worked great as well. I liked that the building wasn't a typical 'high-rise' hotel with a huge parking lot. There were bicycles available to bike between the Silo building and the main building, although it was not a far walk. The walls weren't extremely thin, but I could still hear some people enjoying watching a football game in another room.

I cut through the English garden at one point and was dismayed that it was full of spider webs and overgrown greenery. It's beautiful to look at, but it seems as though it wasn't very well kept up.

The room we held our conference in had some temperature difficulties - the cold air blew right on me in one corner of the room, but the room was a bit warm on the other side.

The food was good - a decent variety of foods that were all organic and some made from the manor's own garden. I especially liked the honey butter - I could have eaten that for a meal itself.

From what I overheard, the conference was a bit expensive (and they charged something like $100 to add a guest speaker for dinner), but I think the quality was very good.

I enjoyed having our work conference here and think if you're looking for a beautiful spot for a wedding, this should be a place to check out.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
San Diego, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

First, yes there are bugs in the rooms here. That being said, a notice is posted in every room alerting guests. I also never saw them anywhere except the window and one or two on the air conditioner. I had a second floor room in the Silo house and others in my conference said they didn't see any bugs in their first floor rooms. The downside of the first floor rooms is noise from the pub. Aside from that, the room was great - bed was comfortable, everything was clean, and the shower was fairly small.

Now, on to the good stuff -- what an astounding piece of property. The grounds are impeccably maintained, the buildings and facilities are great, and there are miles of walking trails for guests to use. The smoke house offers conference guests a chance to have a private dinner; otherwise you eat in a large dining hall with buffet-style food. The food is great and there's a wide variety. There's a pub in the Silo House that has darts, pool, crokinole, foosball, and a decent selection of drinks/snacks (popcorn, nuts, mix).

The staff was very helpful when anyone had questions. I'd definitely return.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

Our work group stayed overnight and had a one day working retreat the next day. The setting is beautiful - peaceful and pastoral - great for walks any time of day. One of the reasons we chose to get away from the office to Airlie was that we had heard about the food - most of which is locally sourced and much actually from the garden grounds. The food did not disappoint and perhaps because we were a small group of 10 and had chosen what time we wanted our meals, we were able to avoid the problem of a previous reviewer of food not being replenished quickly enough. But from the breakfast to desserts, Airlie is worth a visit just to try the food - oh and the peaceful grounds. The rooms are great, simple, but very comfortable and the bathroom sink and vanity was quite nice.

Room Tip: Great for working retreats or relaxing retreats!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
South Florida, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2012

You could not ask for a lovelier setting than this facility in rural Virginia. The buildings were all attractive, the conference facilities were exceptional and spacious. Delightful pub. The staff was uniformly excellent; friendly and accomodating. Flaws: the room was comfortably furnished and spacious but had some problems with the temperatures and many of my colleagues reported bugs in their rooms (management warns you about them, kudos for that.) The reason I had to give an average rating was quite frankly the food. It is buffet stayle and unless you go early or are visiting during low occupancy, expect to find items missing and infrequently replenished. The staff tried to keep up with the demand but the kitchen was just not up to it so if you had your eye on a particular dish, you had to visit the buffet several times in the hopes of getting it. And at the cost of the buffet (lunch was $25 I think) you naturally expect more. Quality of food was adequate, it is buffet after all so not cooked to order. But the setting and the staff were exceptional, so if you have an event in this area, Airlie is worth considering.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Warrenton
Hampton Inn Warrenton
Black Horse Inn
Black Horse Inn
#1 of 1 in Warrenton
4.5 of 5 stars 98 reviews

Been to Airlie? Share your experiences!