“Top of the list” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 6 hotels in Warrenton
Ashburn, Virginia
“Top of the list”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

What a spot theplace is just quality from the food to the gardens it is a magical place. I would say one of the most beautiful places I have been. The only downside was ac was broken in the room but beyond that top knotch

Room Tip: Stay in main house bed was great but room like a dorm
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dave H, Public Relations Manager at Airlie, responded to this review, May 8, 2013
Dear Hogan2013 -

We'd like to thank you for this wonderful review. And we'd like to thank Mother Nature for our beauty – we couldn't have done it without her. As employees, we also think it is a magical place, and to be honest it really never gets old seeing it all. For those things out of our control, like nature, we are extremely fortunate. For those things under our control, like the food, the décor, the rooms and even the air conditioning, we certainly try our best to make sure everything is as perfect as we can make it. But if you do experience a problem, we also pride ourselves on listening to customers and reacting quickly. To that end, we certainly apologize for the problems you had with your air conditioning, but also hope we resolved it for you in a timely manner. Thanks again, and we hope to see you here at Airlie again very soon!

54 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

Not much to say. Like many older historic hotels it is NOT up to date and all remodeled. My first day there I had no hot water, for ex. but then the rest of the time it was fine. I think it bases itself on tradition and history and the beauty of its grounds and main center. I say this because the rooms are not enough to bring people back. Oh, but the food truly is spectacular. I enjoy it. I enjoy the bike riding available and the relaxing atmosphere. Unfortunately, I am usually there (I have been there 2 times) for business. Staff is nice but not overwhelmingly nice (professional). So: Food: excellent. Rooms and the rest - good. The grounds - beautiful. Difficult to get to unless you have a vehicle - that is an issue for business travelers.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Christy P, Manager at Airlie, responded to this review, October 23, 2013
Hi desertmidwife: great news! We are in the midst of a room refresh so now you can enjoy our accommodations as much as you do our food and idyllic, natural setting. We hope to see you again soon!

Airlie Management
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

My work held a conference here. The grounds were beautiful - it was a very relaxing area.

I stayed in the Silo building. At the time, there was a stink bug infestation and despite the best efforts of the staff, I ended up killing about a dozen of them before going to bed (I didn't feel like bothering housekeeping when I had a nice magazine that worked just fine). The bedroom was large and overlooked the pool, while the bathroom was nicely redone. The free WiFi worked great as well. I liked that the building wasn't a typical 'high-rise' hotel with a huge parking lot. There were bicycles available to bike between the Silo building and the main building, although it was not a far walk. The walls weren't extremely thin, but I could still hear some people enjoying watching a football game in another room.

I cut through the English garden at one point and was dismayed that it was full of spider webs and overgrown greenery. It's beautiful to look at, but it seems as though it wasn't very well kept up.

The room we held our conference in had some temperature difficulties - the cold air blew right on me in one corner of the room, but the room was a bit warm on the other side.

The food was good - a decent variety of foods that were all organic and some made from the manor's own garden. I especially liked the honey butter - I could have eaten that for a meal itself.

From what I overheard, the conference was a bit expensive (and they charged something like $100 to add a guest speaker for dinner), but I think the quality was very good.

I enjoyed having our work conference here and think if you're looking for a beautiful spot for a wedding, this should be a place to check out.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
San Diego, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

First, yes there are bugs in the rooms here. That being said, a notice is posted in every room alerting guests. I also never saw them anywhere except the window and one or two on the air conditioner. I had a second floor room in the Silo house and others in my conference said they didn't see any bugs in their first floor rooms. The downside of the first floor rooms is noise from the pub. Aside from that, the room was great - bed was comfortable, everything was clean, and the shower was fairly small.

Now, on to the good stuff -- what an astounding piece of property. The grounds are impeccably maintained, the buildings and facilities are great, and there are miles of walking trails for guests to use. The smoke house offers conference guests a chance to have a private dinner; otherwise you eat in a large dining hall with buffet-style food. The food is great and there's a wide variety. There's a pub in the Silo House that has darts, pool, crokinole, foosball, and a decent selection of drinks/snacks (popcorn, nuts, mix).

The staff was very helpful when anyone had questions. I'd definitely return.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

Our work group stayed overnight and had a one day working retreat the next day. The setting is beautiful - peaceful and pastoral - great for walks any time of day. One of the reasons we chose to get away from the office to Airlie was that we had heard about the food - most of which is locally sourced and much actually from the garden grounds. The food did not disappoint and perhaps because we were a small group of 10 and had chosen what time we wanted our meals, we were able to avoid the problem of a previous reviewer of food not being replenished quickly enough. But from the breakfast to desserts, Airlie is worth a visit just to try the food - oh and the peaceful grounds. The rooms are great, simple, but very comfortable and the bathroom sink and vanity was quite nice.

Room Tip: Great for working retreats or relaxing retreats!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
South Florida, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2012

You could not ask for a lovelier setting than this facility in rural Virginia. The buildings were all attractive, the conference facilities were exceptional and spacious. Delightful pub. The staff was uniformly excellent; friendly and accomodating. Flaws: the room was comfortably furnished and spacious but had some problems with the temperatures and many of my colleagues reported bugs in their rooms (management warns you about them, kudos for that.) The reason I had to give an average rating was quite frankly the food. It is buffet stayle and unless you go early or are visiting during low occupancy, expect to find items missing and infrequently replenished. The staff tried to keep up with the demand but the kitchen was just not up to it so if you had your eye on a particular dish, you had to visit the buffet several times in the hopes of getting it. And at the cost of the buffet (lunch was $25 I think) you naturally expect more. Quality of food was adequate, it is buffet after all so not cooked to order. But the setting and the staff were exceptional, so if you have an event in this area, Airlie is worth considering.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Springfield, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2012

My family and I attended a wedding rehearsal dinner at this location, and it was beautiful. The food was delicious. The setting was great, with manicured gardens and Virginia magnificence all conveniently located to Warrenton.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family

Been to Airlie? Share your experiences!