“A piece of heaven” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Meadow Lane Lodge & Cottages

Meadow Lane Lodge & Cottages
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Warm Springs
Meadow Lane Lodge & Cottages
You added Meadow Lane Lodge & Cottages to your Saves list
646 Meadow Lane Trail, Warm Springs, VA 24484   |
Ranked #4 of 5 Warm Springs B&B and Inns
Greenville, South Carolina
“A piece of heaven”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2014

It is such a peaceful place .A great place to unwind from our stressful life and take in God's creations.We saw 4 deer bathing in the river. We also loved our soak in the historic Jefferson Pools! We also recommend Jason's Pizza and country cafe for great southern dinners and atmosphere. The homemade pies are superb at the cafe!

Room Tip: You can watch the horses and deer from the Car Barn! :)
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Virginia Beach, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

I booked 3 nights for Room Alice fortune.I have two small kids,1 year old and 2 years old.We usually have a king bed room when we are on travel.I knew many hotels and resorts are free for kids under 2 and half.After one night stay in Alice fortune,The manager asked us to change room to swiggles because they don't allow kids under 7 stay in the logde.I dislike swiggles.It has a narrow long entryway up the hill to the house.I am always afraid to pass an entrance like this during summer time.I was bite by a snake on a similar way when I was a kid .At first they said if we disagreed to change to swiggles we need to find another place to stay.We only had 3 days vacation.Who want to waste time on booking and changing a hotel !! I asked them to show me the policy as they told me 7 years old are not allowed in the logde.I only remeber they have no pet policy which they make it clear on their wedsite.The manager said she need to make a phone call.At last they changed us to a samll cottage called jackson cottage which doesn't has a narrow entryway.It locates on flat lands and we can drive in front of the house.But it only has a queen bed and two twin beds.So I feel alice fortune is more fits our needs.We stayed at jackson cottage for two nights.I feel jackson cottage is a clean and morden style cottage.It would be perfect for a family with school age kids.It has two bedroom.Alice fortune is a comfortable suite .It is spacious and I really enjoy the front porch.It is a large land retreat.It is very wild.I feel it is a little too wild for me.They don't have many landscaping.Grasses grow as tall as me But they do cut grasses around the house area.It has a beatiful jackson river in the retreat.
Pros:It is a quite location.relaxing
They rasied my kind of animals in the barns.My kids love to watch them.
Cons: I feel the hardwood floors in the logde are not in good condition.
The bed is not very comfortable.The matress is on soft side.Sheets are OK.

Room Tip: Alice fortune is a spacious king bed room.It has a front porch.The hardwood floors are not in good c...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Harrisonburg, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

We spent our 15th wedding anniversary in the Boola room of Meadow Lane. The house was great and the upper balcony was a restful place to read and stare out over the grounds.

There were nice walks both to a working farm and an overlook, and one that went by the river with places to put your feet into the water.

Breakfast was simple, but good, and the staff were attentive.

Pros: nice, quaint, quiet place surrounded by wilderness.

Cons: wifi router is in building next to main lodge and it is difficult to get wifi anywhere besides the corner of the lounge/tv room (but it was nice not to have internet for a while).

Room Tip: Bed in Boola room is soft. Room is great if no one is staying in room next to you, but walls are th...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Warminster, Pennsylvania, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

Trip Advisor
Natural Retreats Virginia
Ralph Maltese

At a fly fishing show, my wife Polley struck up a conversation with two gentlemen representing Natural Retreats in Warm Springs, Virginia. We contacted the Concierge for Natural Retreats and reserved a three day stay. After a visit with our son in D.C., and an adventure driving the streets of the nation’s capital, I realized the name, Natural Retreats, was appropriate. Our tensions wrought from urban driving unwound as we headed west on the winding roads of western Virginia. By the time we arrived at the Meadow Lane Trail Lodge we were already relaxed. “Natural” is right. Located on a farm, nature is all around. At night we saw deer in the fields, and listened to the sylvan sounds of night. “Retreat” is also appropriate. Away from the bustle and hustle of daily life, we sank into a slow but exhilarating pace, enjoying the terrific fly fishing, beautiful setting, and very pleasant and accommodating staff. I contracted for a guide for one day, and Jason Woods put me onto trout. At my age, fly fishing is about the experience and not the tonnage of fish caught. Jason provided a wonderful experience, and I hope to get him again when I return.
As I understand it, Natural Retreats will soon be providing a pool and horseback riding to add to its offerings of kayaking, hiking, fly fishing, and mountain biking. Lots of “ings.” For its beautiful setting, fly fishing, relaxing atmosphere, and superb staff (thank you Debbie, Pam and Gilbert!), I give it four out of four stars.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Denton, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

I stayed in one of their cottages last year and reviewed that. This time I stayed in The Lodge, an old farm house turned into a hotel, so I'm writing a second review.

The Lodge offers similar high end rustic luxury as the cottages. The fly fishing remains superb, although they are now under new management and the formerly free fly fishing now costs at least $50/day.

There are 3 key differences between the lodge and the cabins that might influence your lodging decision. The lodge does not seem to have laundry facilities. Half of the lodge's bedrooms are upstairs, with no elevator. Lodge guests do not have kitchen access. There is access to a refrigerator, microwave and sink, but you can't cook a breakfast or other meal. Instead, they furnish a very nice cold breakfast.

Room Tip: Choose a downstairs room if stairs are an issue. The two front upstairs room open onto a nice porch...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

My group travelled to Warm Springs in late February of 2013 and had a blast. My mom arranged this trip for my Dad's 60th birthday and my brother-in-law and I had a great time on the Jackson River! The Natural Retreats team did a great job of arranging the trip and we arrived on site with a warm welcome from Will, our weekend guide, on Friday evening. We stayed in the Car Barn Cottage and it was clean, roomy and had everything we needed to cook and be comfortable during our stay (except for some matches and a corkscrew)! We were all first time fly fisherman and on Saturday we received a crash course on casting and what we were in for during the weekend. We rented all of our gear and Will and Jason guided us for 2 full days. Throughout the trip the guides were awesome and helped all three of us learn more about the sport and we all caught beautiful trout both days- it was an awesome first time experience. Can't say enough about the whole trip- check out Warm Springs and Meadow Lane Lodge for yourself!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Denton, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2012

I just got back from a 3-night national gathering of fly fishers at Meadow Lane. I loved the place!

The cottage I was in was very comfortable, well appointed and stocked. The cottages are well-separated to give good privacy. The site is incredibly peaceful and serene. City folks might appreciate the barn and its inhabitants: a small collection of horses, goats, sheep, guinea hens, and chickens.

It is a great place to go to just plain get away from the hustle and bustle and relax. If you don't fish, there is not a whole lot to do and see in the general area but, if you and your group can entertain yourselves, you'll do fine.

For people who fish C&R, this place is a paradise! There are 2 private miles of of the Jackson river, the spring-fed Dinwoodie creek, and a slough for warm water fishing. All are very well stocked with hungry fish-- many in the 10-12" category, but a surprising number well above 20". Rainbow trout, small mouths and red eyes. Some of our best fly fishers caught over 40 per day!

There is currently WiFi at the main lodge and at the Granary cottage. They apparently plan to add more cottages to WiFi. Verizon is the only cell phone coverage and, even if it is your server, you may have to get to higher elevations to get coverage. They offer Direct TV, albeit in a fairly primitive form.

Webb's market is about 5 miles away if you turn left at the entrance. Gas station, deli, and "supermarket". An interesting place that obviously caters to vacationers and outdoorsmen. A wide selection of items, but only 3-4 packages of any item on the shelves. A meat department that (rather humorously) consists of ground beef and bacon. there is a small fly shop on premise that will open if you ask them to.

Now for the bad news. there is a generational change going on in the family that has operated the place. Two of the cottages are being removed from the rental list. Professional management has been brought in to operate the place. My understanding is that they will be adding a $100/day/person rod fee for fishers. There has previously been no rod fee for those who rent the cottages. These changes mean that the gathering of my group will no longer be held there. Not enough rooms and too many members who can't afford those rod fees.

But, I'm really happy I got to stay there and fish before these changes went into effect.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Meadow Lane Lodge & Cottages? Share your experiences!