“Wonderful stay!! Great meal!! In a snow storm.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Inn at Gristmill Square

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Warm Springs
Inn at Gristmill Square
P.O. Box 359, Warm Springs, VA 24484   |
Ranked #1 of 5 Warm Springs B&B and Inns
Chicago, Illinois
“Wonderful stay!! Great meal!! In a snow storm.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2014

Drove up the mountain with approximately 8 plus inches of snow on the ground. Reception was about as easy as possible. We were also able to move our dinner reservation forward after a couple drinks at the cozy bar. Everything from the beets to the pasta and trout was delicious and extremely well done. Dinner service was sharp and efficient without being overbearing. We were able to get a couple Samuel Smiths for 'dessert' by the fire in our room. We had a beautiful view of the snow-covered road out front. The bedding made for a very comfortable night's sleep. I must admit that I had no idea that breakfast would be served in our room. Some of the best biscuits and desperately needed coffee to brace us for the trip down the mountain. The breakfast service (Julie?) was super friendly as well. Owners loaned us a broom to free the car from 10 inches of snow and we were on our way. Would recommend this inn to anyone. No questions. No issues.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

114 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2014

I booked the Loft room at Gristmill Square for my boyfriend's birthday weekend. We visited the Jefferson Pools (definitely recommend) then came to check in at the B&B. The room was clean and well maintained. We had a cute little bathroom and a patio off the room too. I'm super picky about hotel cleanliness and I had ZERO complaints.

The staff are SO friendly, when we left to explore we asked the woman at the desk if there was somewhere nearby we could get coffee. She misunderstood at first that we were just asking for directions and offered to jump up and go make us some coffee! So nice and welcoming.

We had a few drinks at the pub before having dinner at Waterwheel. The food was great, and the service was fabulous. We split a bottle of wine with dinner and hung out for awhile after we were done eating. We never felt rushed or hurried, the staff were really great.

In the morning we got our breakfast delivered to the room (it's included in the price of your stay). It was a cute basket of coffee, juice, pastries (berry scones and some spinach and cheese puff pastries which were amazing) and fruit.

I originally found Gristmill online because I was looking to make a reservation at Homestead before I realized how insanely expensive that place is. Gristmill was only $120/night and included breakfast. It was also quieter, more welcoming, and so lovely. We went to check out Homestead and it was insanely busy and just did not look relaxing at all.

The area has a lot to offer, we went hiking in GW national park on Sunday and had a great time. There's also a few bars/taverns near Homestead that we grabbed a drink at during the day. If you come in the summer there's a ton more to do than in February.

We both agreed we would DEFINITELY come back here.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Loft Room, which is above the office. It was super private at night and had a cute...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Roanoke, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2014

Loved this Inn! First time B&B guest, I had heard a lot of great things about the restaurant and was eager to stay. Warm Springs is located half way from Roanoke, VA to Snowshoe WV, which was our destination. We arrived late, due to snowy weather, around 10pm and were too late to enjoy dinner but did get a sneak peak at the restaurant because it also doubles as a front desk. The restaurant looked very charming and I would recommend checking it out during your stay.

The room (Croft) was amazing. It had a large bedroom area with wood burning fireplace (they have everything set up so the only thing you need to do is light a match), flat screen TV, queen size bed which was comfortable and had nice linens. The bathroom was also large and featured a new design, of the old claw foot soaking tubs and it also had a separate shower area.

The next morning was also amazing with their BIB (breakfast in bed), a quick call to the Inn keeper and they deliver a breakfast basket of the best continental breakfast you (or I or anyone) have ever had! Fresh squeezed orange juice, hot coffee with cream and sugar, homemade savory croissants (egg and cheese) and chocolate croissants, yogurt (I believe to be homemade) with blueberries and granola! I'm telling you it was fabulous!!

The rates are ridiculously competitive and the Inn keepers are super friendly. They have taken away all of my reservations about staying at a B&B's and I can't wait to return!!

Room Tip: Their website gives a great description of the rooms and availability.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Greensboro, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014

I discovered The Inn at Gristmill Square passing through Warm Springs on the way to Snowshoe two years ago. I found their website and decided I would stay at the Inn the next time I was passing through. I had originally booked the Rye room, but I received an e-mail several days before I was going to arrive stating that room was having maintenance issues and management had upgraded me to the Singapore room. The Singapore room was absolutely wonderful. My son started a fire in the fireplace as soon as we walked in the door. He was amazed by the shower in this room. It has multiple showerheads and is a tile surround. It was nice to have the toilet and shower in two different rooms. The bed and bedding were very comfortable. The room was right on the street, but the street is not heavily traveled, so we were not bothered by street noise. This room is directly across the courtyard from the pub/restaurant and I was afraid that would create a noise problem, but it did not. The breakfast that was delivered to our room in the morning was excellent. It consisted of biscuits, blueberry and white chocolate chip scones, coffee (for me) and hot chocolate (for my son). It was great not to have to leave our room for breakfast. The Inn exceeded our expectations in every way imaginable and we can't wait to return the next time we are headed to Snowshoe.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Roanoke, Virginia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013

Stayed Saturday night in one the of the Miller's Farm House suites and it was very clean and cozy. Breakfast delivered to your room in the morning was just right. What really made the stay wonderful was dinner Saturday night in the Waterwheel Restaurant. The restaurant is in an old grist mill and was very charming. Started out going down to the wine cellar where you can pick your own bottle of wine. My wife started with a Beet Salad - sliced beets, crumbled Blue Cheese, Walnuts w/Balsamic Vinaigrette and I had French onion soup. Both were superb. My wife had the fresh stuffed Trout and I had Beef tips w/mushrooms over Tagliatelle pasta. Unbelievable meal. To top it off we shared the cream brulee with Caramel Gelato. Our server was fantastic. Having worked at the Waterwheel restaurant for 32 years, she hasn't lost a beat !!! Wonderful overall expeience.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
GristmillSquare, Owner at Inn at Gristmill Square, responded to this review, January 4, 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your recent experience with others. We enjoyed having you with us and take great pride in knowing that you enjoyed your stay at the inn and in the restaurant. We hope that you will be back again sometime. Best, John and Kate
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2013

A charming refurbished mill and rooms set in the various mill houses. We had a lovely room with an open fire which was set and ready to light. The welcome from the owners was less than warm but the ambience of the restaurant and the delicious food helped one to overlook this. Comfy bed and good bathroom. Breakfast is brought to your room when you phone in the morning. It comes in a rustic Red Riding Hood type basket with lovely fresh coffee , yoghurt and fruit purée and a breakfast filled croissant.

Room Tip: Not all rooms have an open fire and if you're going in the winter months it's a real treat t...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for your honest feedback and review of the inn. It is very much appreciated as we continually try to grow and improve. We need to hear from guests to know what we are doing both right and wrong. It is with your help that we will grow and be successful. Please accept our sincerest apologies regarding your welcome to the inn. We certainly never intent to be less than warm and welcoming. We hope to see you again for a future visit. Best, Kate and John Loeffler
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2013

Last night, four of us had dinner in this quaint, historic old mill. It could not have been more delicious!! As appetizers, two of us had the French onion soup, one had the Caesar salad and the other person had the golden beet salad. We shared the fresh smoked trout. Paired with a wonderful Malbec and warm sourdough rolls, everything was fresh, crisp, and absolutely fabulous!
For dinner we had the PEI mussels, the grilled lamb chops, and the fresh trout. And for dessert, we tried every one!! Talk about a meal for kings!
Our dinner was over-the-top making for a true birthday and anniversary celebration. The prices were very reasonable too, which was a delightful surprise. Our wait staff was knowledgable and very attentive all night, and the soft candlelight on the white tablecloth was so inviting.
We can say enough superlatives about this fine spot--can't wait to return!!

Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Wow, what high praise! We appreciate that you took the time to write such a nice review. Thank you for visiting. We hope you'll make us a regular stop during your visits to the area. We look forward to seeing you again. Best, Kate and John Loeffler

Been to Inn at Gristmill Square? Share your experiences!