“Quaint, Unique Inn in a Sleepy Town” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Inn at Gristmill Square

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Warm Springs
Inn at Gristmill Square
P.O. Box 359, Warm Springs, VA 24484   |
Ranked #1 of 5 Warm Springs B&B and Inns
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Quaint, Unique Inn in a Sleepy Town”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2012

Last year my boyfriend planned a Valentine's Day getaway all on his own and found this place. The drive to the Inn at Gristmill Square was beautiful and the town was gorgeous, quiet and peaceful. When we arrived I told him, "This is my favorite place"! He chuckled because we weren't even out of the car yet.

Overall, I've never seen a place like the Inn at Gristmill. We went in February and it was freezing so there wasn't much to do but sit around the fireplace, read magazines, eat at the Waterwheel tavern and soak in the Jefferson Pools (another special and unique experience). It was a nice quiet, getaway from the hustle and bustle of the D.C. metro area.

This past February, I took a friend to the Inn to experience the place. We ate at the Waterwheel Restaurant and both the food and service were spectacular. The lighting at the restaurant is dim and calming and the setting is very relaxing. There is the Simon Kenton pub within the restaurant, which is a small little bar that doesn't fit a whole lot of people but it is very cozy. The atmosphere is very unique. They even have their own little wine cellar in the basement that you can freely visit to pick out a bottle of wine (check out the pictures that I took). Also in the basement, you can see the old waterwheel. Within the restaurant, you can see the flour mill where grain was turned into flour.

The first time that I stayed at the inn, we stayed in the Jennie Payne room, which was charming but had a unique set-up with a separate room with a shower/bathtub and another separate room for the bathroom. The set-up was kind of awkward but it was on the second floor so we couldn't hear noises from people above. The fireplace kept us warm as did the heater in the room. By the end of the night, we were roasting!

The second time that I stayed at the inn (this past February in 2012), we stayed in the Croft room, which also had a fireplace. The room was beautiful and it seemed to have new linens and couches. I heard that the inn was taken over by new owners as of February of last year, so it's quite possible that all of the rooms have been updated with new things. It appears that the new owners have step up the game of this place with new additions to the room and upgraded breakfast. Last year when I came breakfast, which was brought to your room consisted on coffee, juice, croissant with jam and butter. This was fine for me as I don't like to be too full for breakfast. This past February when I went, they also delivered breakfast to our room; however, breakfast consisted of coffee, juice, yogurt with granola and blueberries, chocolate croissants and blueberry muffins! It was a really beautiful breakfast with plenty to eat.

Pros: Unique, quaint, quiet getaway; terrific food; great service at the restaurant; new owners seemed to have updated the rooms with new furniture and linens

Cons: I asked for wood to be delivered twice to our room and it was never delivered. I suspect that the staff was too busy since the restaurant was packed.

Overall Conclusions/Recommendations: I would definitely recommend a stay at the Inn at Gristmill, and I will try to visit every chance I get. It truly is a nice, peaceful getaway in a sleepy town. I've never experienced a place quite like the Gristmill. This is best for a romantic getaway but it is also good for a weekend with the girls. Can't wait to visit soon!

Also, eat at the Waterwheel Restaurant at Gristmill for a very unique experience; however, make reservations prior to showing up since they always seem to be very busy (even at 9PM).

Room Tip: Rooms on the first floor may be a little noisy, but still bearable when people start to go to bed.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

115 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 29, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I went here for our first new years together when we were dating and I instantly fell in love with the inn. It's so beautiful here the staff doesn't bother you at all you feel like your alone here!!! It's clean and the rooms and scenery are beautiful. We spent a lot of time At The Homestead just down the road, it's such a great place! We came back two mays ago but we got married and had a baby so haven't had time to get back! But I'm hoping this july he will take me for my birthday!!! Love this place I highly reccomended it to everyone looking for a nice quiet romantic experience!

• Stayed May 2011
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I spent a long weekend at the homestead resort. After reading reviews it was recommended to dine at the water wheel restaurant. I had no problem booking reservations for dinner a few days in advance. When arriving we were seated immediately. The atmosphere is PERFECT! Charming and romantic all wrapped up in one. Ashley, our server was very attentive. My husband and I enjoyed both the onion and potatoe soup. The 2 dressings offered for the salads were terrific. My fillet and my husbands ribeye were perfectly prepared. Unfortunately we had no room to experience dessert. I thought it was so nice that the owner stopped over to ask if we enjoyed the meal. We then proceeded to book a reservation for dinner on our last night in Virginia. We traveled through the one and only major snow storm but was worth it all over again. I would definatly consider staying at the inn on our next visit.

My only complaint is that the rooster next to the front door is not up for sale!

• Stayed February 2012
Green Cove Springs, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Inn and dined at the restaurant during a 4-day vacation in beautiful Warm Springs, VA in early January 2012. This is our favorite place in all of Virginia. Both the Inn and the restaurant are top notch as far as service and amenities go. Yet they manage to present a cozy quality that exceeds any we have experienced in our travels throughout the U.S.
The rooms are very clean and very comfortable (did I mention cozy?!). And the restaurant is superb in that it offers the perfect cocktail, a wine list to be rivaled by any 4-star "big city" establishment, and a menu with just the right combination of freshly prepared, original, tasty entrees. Again, the service - from wait staff to Inn staff, to the gracious owners themselves - is the icing on this gem of a cake, surrounded by the George Washington National Forest, beautiful farmland, as well as friendly locals. We will be back as often as possible!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011

I was a bit wary after reading a couple of the previous dining experiences, but when anyway after friends told us what an enjoyable experience they had last month. We were staying nearby at the Homestead, so I cannot comment on the rooms. We were seated promptly and had excellence service from our waitress. She was attentive and helpful with menu selections. The potato/leek soup was excellent. I had the trout, my husband had the filet. Both were delicious. The salad, bread, and homemade dessert were as well. The place if very charming, nice change of scenery from the Homestead. The manager came to our table to check on us and was most professional. We would definitely come back.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Troutville
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011

We have been looking forward to this trip for some time and in spite of a couple of less than bubbly actions of a lady who identified herself as one of the owners, the trip was great. Not meant to insult, the place was busy and she may have been having a rough day!. Restaurant was quaint, food was about what we expected albeit somewhat inflated. Bar has a great selection but there are only about 6 seats. It adds to the intimacy and where else are you going to go when you're here? Bar and service staff were friendly. The continental breakfast would be better suited by naming it a continental snack. Two very small portions of a baked product and a couple of ounces of yogurt topped with granola cereal! Coffee was hot. Probably would not book a stay here again, but if in the area may try the restaurant or bar again. If you do book a stay here, be sure to pack snacks and drinks, nothing available after dinner service and nothing close by. Also do yourself a favor and make a trip up to the Jefferson pools about a mile away. A two hour soak in 95 degree mineral water seems to make a lot of trivial matters just float away!

Room Tip: Look at the website pictures, ask questions.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2011

We stayed in the Tower suite which was very big, full of character and lots of features. A wonderful fire in the silo tower rooms itself, a nice veranda and pleasant views. We had a very good meal with wine chosen from the delightful and well-stocked cellar. Not too twee or pretentious and very sensible and warm hospitality.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family

Been to Inn at Gristmill Square? Share your experiences!