“Surprisingly run down” 3 of 5 stars

Type: Hot Springs/ Geysers, Wellness & Spas
6 attraction reviews
“Surprisingly run down”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

I was shocked to see the state of disrepair these structures were in. Changing rooms, steps into pool etc were yucky. We almost felt like we were on candid camera. Did we really spend $17 for this? The water felt lovely, but the overall experience was a big disappointment.

StPeteFla
“Fortunate timing, centuries of appreciation conspire for a great visit.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

I can't speak to time limits or constraints encountered by others. I can only say that our arrival at 1pm on a saturday, when a late season winter storm was threatening, combined with the obvious care and pleasant demeanor of the pool manager to make for a great visit. We were invited to soak until 2 as coeds among all ages, then to split up by gender for additional time. There was an interesting and informative discussion of the background, geology and preservation of the site, this was offered in response to the bathers questions.

My guess is that peak weekend demand for access necessitates a time constraint - the buildings and spring pool just are not designed for the numbers of visitors possible. Just pause and reflect on how many people could visit the spring in 1813, 1913, and now 2013 and you'll likely conclude that a weekday or otherwise off-peak visit is in your best interests.

In our case, the winter snowstorm left three people in the Men's pool as the clock struck 3. The room quieted to the point that immersion alowed me to hear water droplets falling off the roof structure, to follow a snowflake through the oculus, into the mists and to the water surface, to consider the sacred nature of this liaison between worlds and planes, forms and states of water and time. It really is that meditative, if you allow it. Magical.

As for the condition of the structure, it seems that there would be great upside to the site being in the hands of a not for profit, historic preservation minded organization. The current ownership and management does not seem up to the level of care that would insure the structure sees March of 2113.

Hot Springs, Virginia
“Save the Pools”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

To take a soak in the Pools, which are 250 yrs. old, is awsome, probably because of the many minerals, you feel rejuvenated and relaxed, I also believe it has healing powers.
Sadly, this historicly structure is in very ill repair and needs to be saved.

Charleston, South Carolina
“Jefferson Pools in the snow”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

Experience warm springs in a colonial structure. Badly in need of restoration but the water is still nice.

13 attraction reviews
“I've always wanted to try it, I'm glad I did.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013 via mobile

I have always wanted to try a natural hot spri & histong. I'm glad I finally did. I agree that they could update the place, especially at $17 a person for an hour soak. Our attendant made the experience, giving us factoids and history. I loved soaking in the hot spring. I didn't find it relaxing though because all the people around us talked so much and so loudly. After our soak, I felt heavy & weak. I had to take a nap when I got back to the motel. When I woke up I felt refreshed. I wish we had time to go again.