“Better than we expected” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Better than we expected”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

From the reviews we read, we weren't sure whether to eat at John's or not but decided to give it a chance as it was close to where we were staying. The restaurant has a great view of the mountains and we enjoyed watching the hummingbirds that were attracted to the feeder in the window. We were waited on by the wife of the husband/wife owners and could not be happier with our service. She was appropriately attentive and every dish was delivered in a reasonable length of time and was piping hot. My husband and I both had steaks that were cooked to order and delicious. Mine was so large, I had to ask for a take away box. We were happy with our dining experience and would visit again if we were in the area.

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Bristow, VA
“Hmmmmm”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

I am at a loss for words. The food was decent, but the atmosphere and service left something to be desired. There is 1 server who is also the bartender, hostess etc. etc. We actually wondered if she made the food too!!!

Visited October 2012
Charleston, West Virginia
“A don't miss favorite!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

My family always makes this at least one nights dinner out when we are at the Owner's Club. The food is very good and I love the German dishes which I can't get very often elsewhere. You have to order the fried onions. They are light and addictive.
Decent wine selection at very reasonable prices.

Visited September 2012
Charlotte
“Pleasantly Surprised”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

Took a chance by leaving the grounds of The Homestead and venture out to try something new. We found John's Steakhouse online and called ahead. Upon arrival, it looked like a great place, patio area, great views as the website describes. Once seated, we were a little uncertain as to stay or cut our losses as it seemed it was just one of the owerns and one waitress. It was a midweek night and there was a rather large table and a couple other guests. The owner seemed rather vocal about being overwhelmed, but our waitress assured us that was just how she was at times. We decided to give it a chance and glad we did. I ordered the Pork Chop and can honestly say as of that night, it was the best I had ever had. Food was outstanding. Their bread rolls, delicious. I certainly would go back and would recommend to family and friends with a little disclaimer to be patient and let the food speak for itself.

Visited August 2012
ohio
“Not What it Used to Be”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

The owners have tried to sell the place for several years and their indifference to the customers is telling. Ordering a steak is a safe bet but I'd worry about the seafood offerings. I had the salmon and it was very bland, my wife ordered the meat loaf and it was ok. Service was provided by the wife and her personality should make her stay in the kitchen. The locals stay away and you should too.

• Visited September 2012