“A don't miss favorite!” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating
Charleston, West Virginia
“A don't miss favorite!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

My family always makes this at least one nights dinner out when we are at the Owner's Club. The food is very good and I love the German dishes which I can't get very often elsewhere. You have to order the fried onions. They are light and addictive.
Decent wine selection at very reasonable prices.

Visited September 2012
1 Thank rreishman

“Pleasantly Surprised”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

Took a chance by leaving the grounds of The Homestead and venture out to try something new. We found John's Steakhouse online and called ahead. Upon arrival, it looked like a great place, patio area, great views as the website describes. Once seated, we were a little uncertain as to stay or cut our losses as it seemed it was just one of the owerns and one waitress. It was a midweek night and there was a rather large table and a couple other guests. The owner seemed rather vocal about being overwhelmed, but our waitress assured us that was just how she was at times. We decided to give it a chance and glad we did. I ordered the Pork Chop and can honestly say as of that night, it was the best I had ever had. Food was outstanding. Their bread rolls, delicious. I certainly would go back and would recommend to family and friends with a little disclaimer to be patient and let the food speak for itself.

Visited August 2012
“Not What it Used to Be”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

The owners have tried to sell the place for several years and their indifference to the customers is telling. Ordering a steak is a safe bet but I'd worry about the seafood offerings. I had the salmon and it was very bland, my wife ordered the meat loaf and it was ok. Service was provided by the wife and her personality should make her stay in the kitchen. The locals stay away and you should too.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
1 Thank OhioCyclist
“Terrible service”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

Would you like to go to a restaurant and experience the service in the style of 1970s’ Communist Soviet Union? You don't need a time machine - welcome to John's Steakhouse. Our waitress (who happened to be an owner’s daughter - very tall gal, you won’t miss her) barely managed to take the order, and then disappeared for an hour. It's a small place, ten tables or so, but it was quite a challenge to find her. When we inquired about the status of our order, she comforted us by saying, "The kitchen is backed up, what do you want me to do?" We pointed out two tables that had been served their entrees even though their orders were taken after ours, and our table’s 3 kids (hungry and cranky after an hour wait), and suggested that the kitchen should re-prioritize. At this point the owner’s daughter spoke from the bottom of her heart and let us know, "you may pay for what you've had (drinks) and leave". Rather than reassuring us, she really let us know we were not welcome, and that she truly did not want us there.
Ten minutes later she showed up with kids’ pizza and asked, "So, are you staying or leaving? Do you want me to give this [pizza] to them [kids] or not?" When she finally, after an hour of waiting, started bringing the food, we reminded her about the wine we ordered before she abandoned our table. Her response? "OK, the bar is busy, I'm busy. Do you still want it? What did you order?" There were a few more exchanges, but I guess you’ve got the picture. I believe the owner's wife was working other tables, but, as she did not interfere, I guess she approved her daughter's "service".
This whole thing reminded me of a government-run establishment in a Soviet Union where workers were not interested in their work, where there was no concept of customer service, and where the unspoken greeting to the customers was: "Why did you come here? Do you understand that when you come we need to work? We don't want you here".

1 Thank Serge G
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Incredibly poor service”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

From the moment they tried to squeeze our reservation for 7 into a table they laid for 6 to when the owners daughter said they she would call the police if we did not pay for what had already been delivered to the table this meal and restaurant was a disaster. We have never, ever been treated so poorly. The staff have no grasp of the hospitality industry at all. We ordered and were given our cocktails. For the next hour and 10 minutes we were ignored completely and could not get the attention of the staff. No bread or starter until 1 hour 15 minutes in. Our children were starving so we asked if their meals at least could be expidited. That's when the self declared owner's daughter said they kitchen was backed up and if we didn't like it we could leave. It's a pity because the food when it came was nice but these people don't know how to treat customers who are bringing their money to the business. We were treated like beggars and this was the first time in my entire life I left a $0 tip. Great way to go out of business in a small town.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere