“Flavorsome Breakfast” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Big Italy is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #211 of 1,238 restaurants in Virginia Beach
Cuisines: Italian
Carlisle, Pennsylvania
“Flavorsome Breakfast”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014 NEW

My wife and I stopped to enjoy an Italian breakfast Panini and some specialty coffees one of our days while visiting Virginia beach. They were good and quite filling.

This experience sparked a return visit the final day of our trip so that I could savor some cannoli and my wife could indulge in their large assortment of gelato. Of course, each of our breakfast choices was paired with a specialty coffee or espresso.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

61% Recommend
Suffolk, Virginia
“Yucc!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014 NEW

My niece and I walked across the street from the Hilton Garden to get a simple pizza. Looking at the pizzas coming out of the oven, they looked nice and crispy. The pizza that we go "to go" was horrible...undercooked and gave my niece an upset stomach. Stick with the chains for pizza at the oceanfront as this is the third time that I have tried one of the so-called pizzerias in the area.

Visited July 2014
Red Wing, MN
“Super expensive and low quality food. YUCK.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014 NEW

We went here after a long day of traveling, thinking it would be a good choice because of the supposed selection. My dad had something like Chicken Marsala. It looks like a bunch of overcooked noodles with some canned sausage gravy thrown over the top. The gravy was brown...unlike any tomato sauce I had ever seen. Somehow my dad choked down a few bites and then he couldn't eat any more. I had a salad which was boring and flavorless. The teens both had some cheap fried stuff which they thought was OK; how can you do wrong when you are just throwing something in the fryer, I guess. We weren't looking for 'fine cuisine' but something tasty for our family. The selection of items really wasn't good, and what we got was BEYOND horrible. Even Denny's or Embers would've been better, and that is saying a lot! The meal cost us $82, plus tip. Our waiter was actually pretty awesome; too bad he has to work at this place. WAY overpriced...please do not waste your time, money or appetite by going to this place.

• Visited June 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Wheeling
“Very Disappointing”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014 NEW

We have been to Pizza Pi several times over the past few years. It is always one of our must stops when we vacation in Virginia Beach. When we got there this year, we noticed they had merged with Big Italy. From the beginning the experience was disappointing. They couldn't find our name after we checked back in to see if table was ready. The wait was only 15 minutes for 2 adults and 2 children so that was good.

Once we were seated, I had to specifically request kids menus. Unfortunately, the waitress did not bring crayons for the children, but other tables around received them when the got seated.

We ordered the Sangria and we were told when the kids drinks arrived that there were not enough glasses and we would get our drinks once another glass became available. We asked the food runner when he brought our pizza and we finally got the carafe with one glass! A bartender finally arrived with the second glass and offered a complimentary drink.

We also asked the food server for silver ware when he brought the pizza. We didn't need it to eat, but we knew our food was coming soon. Our main meals came out and we still did not have silver ware. We mentioned it again to our waitress and we finally got it.

The children asked for cheese for their pasta and that came to the table when they had finished.

The manager seemed to be running between both restaurants and that did not seem to work well. The staff seemed short and had excuses for everything. We saw other tables speaking with the manager and we assumed it was because they probably had a similar experience.

This is very disappointing as this use to be such a cool place. The kids use to get dough to play with while dinner was being prepared. It has taken a very different direction. Hopefully they can get back on track like the old restaurant.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
New york city
“Friendly and inviting, will be back!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2014 NEW via mobile

After reading the reviews on here for this specific restaurant I was hesitant to bring my family in yet my daughters favorite food is Italian and we were staying across the street at the HGI so it was close to impossible to hide it from her. I was extremely shocked at how opposite from most of the reviews on here my experience was. I went in with a family of six and was more than pleased with everything that took place. The staff is upbeat and friendly and our waitress was one of the best I've ever had even though my children ran her around she still smiled every time she came to the table. It was just a Tuesday night yet the restaurant was completely full. David the bartender happily poured me a beer while we waited and my wife enjoyed a delicious martini. Then when it was time we got our table and was promptly greeted by Jacqueline, our waitress. She recommended all sorts of appetizers, we ended up getting the garlic knots. Super delicious. They came quick and hot. And with a little marinara made the entire family happy. Our food took a few more minutes than we would have hoped however we were at the oceanfront and they were pretty busy. Our drinks stayed full and cold. When our food arrived we were offered fresh Parmesan which was a prefect touch for our meal. We ended the night with the dessert sampler. Which was MORE than enough for the 6 of us to split. And Jacqueline made it special with the plate decorations . It added such a personal touch. I will be not only recommending big Italy to
Everyone I know visiting but also to sit in Jacqueline's section. I will be back and hoping to sit in Jacqueline's section myself. Top notch service, food and atmosphere. Someone's doing something right!!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere