“A step back in Time” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Cavalier Hotels

Cavalier Hotels
42nd St AT Atlantic Ave, Virginia Beach, VA 23451 (Northeast Virginia Beach)
(757) 425-8555
Improve this listing
Ranked #750 of 1,238 restaurants in Virginia Beach
Neighborhood: Northeast Virginia Beach
Neighborhood: Northeast Virginia Beach
VA
“A step back in Time”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

We have stayed at the Cavalier for the past two years for the fourth of July. We only need one night due to the proximity we live to VA Beach but don’t like to make the drive so late at night and enjoy making a small family trip to the beach out of the holiday. The Cavalier is one of the few places that allows us only one night, and I have been told its under new management so I hope that this continues. Last year we stayed in an oceanfront room because we thought we might have to watch the fireworks from the hotel room due to our small child, however he stayed awake and we enjoyed the fireworks on the beach. Please note that you can however see the fireworks fine from an ocean front room balcony. The hotel is an older hotel, but that also adds to the charm. We enjoyed our stay in your standard double room. This year I decided to save a little money and requested to stay at the Cavalier on the Hill, which is not open year round. The Cavalier on the hill, while is not the Hilton, has such charm and history to it that I really enjoy it better. The room was a superior double, which is still basically your standard double, I was told it might have a little more square footage than the basic, but the décor is supposed to be different in the superior. We have a large family we squeeze into one room so I cannot speak for the extra space, but found the room a perfect fit for one evening on a holiday week. I enjoy the hotel on the hill more due to less foot traffic; it also has more of the old charm and décor that made this place such a hit in the early 1900’s when it first opened. The hill offers a large indoor pool, which many people do not take the time to find so it’s never as packed as the outside pool oceanfront. The staff are very friendly, and accommodating as well. If we go back next year I will be making reservations at the Cavalier again. Last year on the Fourth they hosted a mini party on the lawn before the fireworks with a moon bounce, rock wall and other activities for kids that we were sad they did not repeat again this year, but maybe it will return in the future. I recommend the Cavalier for your stay at North VA Beach.

Visited July 2013

50% Recommend
ParisLondonNewYork
“Charming.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

The modern Cavalier is just a modern Cavalier but the old building is something that you should at least stop by and check out. There is the spirit of old Virginia Beach there. There is still the sens of class and charm in the whole establishment. This is my kind of hotel and I would love to stay there once to appreciate the timeless charm of it. The only bummer is that it is so far from the beach and that the rooms seem to be bit outdated judging from the reviews but in whole honesty I have not stayed there, just passed by, walked the lobby, the facilities and it had an amazing feel of by-gone era. The downstairs main floor is still spectacular. I can't say about the rooms as I said. Never stayed there. But.. even their restrooms have the feel of any Grand Hotel I can remember staying at.. the marble here and there, and the testaceum mini tiles.. black and white.. golden french mirrors..
oh and foyers with french empire chairs lined with blue silk, the aubusson rugs in the foyer.. the crystal chandeliers, the golden molding here and there.. the gorgeous light turqoise dreamy by the sea resort walls.. yes all that jazz..
this is how people traveled and lived in style in the old days..

Visited August 2012
Falls Church, Virginia
“Outstanding Outdoor Dining”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

Had a lovely dinner outside on the hotel grounds on the Hill. Beautiful view and ambience. Good service and menu.

Visited July 2012
High Point, North Carolina
“Double charged”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

The staff downstairs was very friendly and helpful. The food was good. We purchased a Living Social Coupon and scheduled our trip for June 19-21. On the morning of June 16, we received word that my wife's Mother had a stroke. I called that morning and cancelled our reservations. We later rescheduled for the 27th & 28th of June. When we received our credit card bill, we were charged an extra night's stay for a cancellation fee. When I called the hotel, they said there was a cancellation fee because we didn't cancel 4 days in advance. We actually did. Saturday, Sunday Monday and Tuesday is four days by my math. Additionally, the room we got had been misrepresented. We were told that all rooms had a microwave and WiFi. Our room had neither. However it did have hundreds of ants. The window sills had dust and chipped paint on them. We put water bottles and fruit in the in-room refrigerator and the next morning they were all frozen. We brought desert back and a glass of wine from dinner our first night. The dirty dishes and glasses were not removed the entire time we were there. That's how we discovered the ants. Also, there were candy wrappers from a previous occupant that were not removed during our stay. I highly recommend eating at the Cavalier but we will never stay there again.

Visited June 2012
Alexandria VA
“Not great customer services”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2012

Stayed at the hotel by the beach for a conference. Friends stayed at the hotel on the hill. When I checked in the room looked clean but there was a pot of coffee from the previous renters. Then I went to put Wine and Perrier in the frig and it was so full of frost I couldn't use. I called and things were taken care of right away but really can a housekeeping supervisor check? There was a buffet lunch which we didn't feel like so i called downstairs to see if there was an alternative. Was told yes - the Dolphin Bar. We went down to find it closed for food. The the morning of check out I got everything ready and put my suitcase in the car and went for a walk on the beach. Came back at 1030 for the 11 am checkout. Went to my room to get the wine and Perrier to find them gone and room cleaned up. When I shared this with the clerk at checkout I was told because I had taken my belongings out of the room they assumed I was checked out and it was a very common practice in hotels. I said not in any I had stayed at and asked about my wine. He said he,d give me a discount on the bill. Which I took!

• Visited May 2012