“Awesome for extended stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Angie's Guest Cottage B&B

Angie's Guest Cottage B&B
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Virginia Beach
Prices are for rooms, adults
Angie's Guest Cottage B&B
Save Saved
You added Angie's Guest Cottage B&B to your Saves list
302 24th Street, Virginia Beach, VA 23451 (Northeast Virginia Beach)   |
Champaign, Illinois
“Awesome for extended stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

I was placed in the Virginia Beach area for work and was assigned a different extended stay hotel at first. That place was terrible so I simply walked the boardwalk to find a different place. From the second I walked in to the second I left it was nothing but excellent service and friendly people. The facility is why i stepped in but the people is why i stayed. It is one of the last remaining family run hotels around. They take pride in their business and go the extra mile to make sure everything is enjoyable. In my 7 month stay here I got to know the staff very well and now consider them friends. I would recommend this place to anyone traveling to Virginia Beach. It has a great location in the middle of the boardwalk a block from the ocean. The family has been there for generations and can answer any questions you have about the area. Close to amazing bars and restaurants. Again, great place to stay for extended stay.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business

15 people have reviewed this hotel

Couples
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011 via mobile

I have been travelling in the US for 2 months and this hostel is a good base to enjoy the delights of the town. The guys that run the place have a set of rules and if you stick to them you will have no problems here, all 3 of them on reception during my stay were helpful but you do need to read the website before you get there cos I get the impression that everyone asks the same questions day after day! The dorms dont have AC but they have many fans and these work just fine (it was hot every day). They have a large number of students staying there so you get to meet interesting people from all over. Accept that the hostel is for backpackers and you will enjoy this place - I had a great time.

• Stayed June 2011
Toledo, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2010

Three of us stayed here and it was not the best experience but it was definitely interesting. It was very hot in the rooms. The showers were creepy. The place could use some renovations for sure. It was close to the beach, though, and that's all we really cared about. Oh, and you have to pay $10 for parking, which is in a bumpy lot with construction equipment behind somebody's house. Really uncomfortable.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
Columbus, OH
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2010

This hostel is located two short blocks from the beach and one block from all the action! I have stayed here 3 times and will keep coming back. This is a great place to travel on a budget and meet people from all over the world.

One evening I asked the owner for a seafood recommendation and he suggested that I go to the market where they will steam and season what you buy. Best suggestion to eat 2lbs of crab and 1 lb of shrimp for a great price! Thanks!

Of course this is a hostel and there is no AC and people will be having a good time. Don't expect the Ritz, and enjoy your stay.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
Virginia Beach
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2010

he was the manager I think but I didn't even care to ask at the time because I was rather irrational at the time and just wanted to remove myself from the situation before it got out of control. I called previously to reserve a room 2 weeks in advance and they said it wasn't needed, that there was going to be rooms available. I arrived and the location was really great, there was a blonde foreign girl sitting on the front porch with another girl and an old man wearing glasses. I walked up to him trying to get through to the office, and he didn't even budge/ just looked at me and said can I help you. I asked politely if there was available rooms for the next three nights... the conversation went on a bit about what kind of room... We walked into the office when he asked me for my ID. After I handed him my ID he said that if I had a car *which I did* it was going to be 10 dollars extra a night. I asked him if that fee came with a parking spot. at that time he took a deep breath, tilted his head down a bit to look at me over his glasses with disgust and said if I didn't want to pay the 10 dollars extra a night that I could pay 17 or so per night to park somewhere else and he also said some sarcastic remark about me failing to look at the website. I didn't get the old mans name because I left immediately after I sensed the tension. I asked him if everything was ok. I had a few more questions that he thought was soooo inconvenient to answer by his response and body language that I just took my ID out of his hands and said there must be some sort of mistake and i'm not going to stay here as I left. I suppose they are better off without my business and I'm better off without theirs. I was very unhappy with the way I was treated, I have never been here before, and never have met any of them before and they were really rude.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
Quebec
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2009

In a few words, here is my story. I called this hostel to get a room for 2 days. The manager told me that I had to stay a minimum of 3 days and that there was nothing he could do to help me. So I managed to find a hotel in Hampton wich suited my budget. I got to Angie's Cottage to meet my friends who were staying there for the week. At the minute the manager (Steve not to name him) saw me talking with my friends outside of the lobby, he rudely stated that I was not allowed on the property what so ever. So me and my friends ate on the sidewalk, I went to the bathroom at the Wendy's right beside and changed in the car. I can assure you that I had better travelling experiences in my life! Anyway, I was doing fine until the manager came to me on the second to last day of my vacation and told me that he could do me a deal. I was to pay 7,50$ to get access to the back of the building. I told him that I was doing ok and declined his offer. I told him that I changed in the car and that I managed to live trough the day just fine the way it was. He then asked me where was the car? I answered: In the parking lot. He then told me that the parking lot was his property and that I wasn't allowed. How stunning is that response!! He then went to my friends who were changing and taking a shower inside the hostel and told them that if he saw me again on his ENTIRE property, He'd call the police. Very unpleased by the parking lot question and the fact that he was extremely rude with me, I decided to ask for his name when he came back to his lobby. He went BERSERK and called the police!!!
He even evicted my friends who had nothing to do with the whole story! By the time the police got to the "crime scene" his son was insulting me and shouting me names. The policewoman looked pretty amazed that such an owner, whom we supposed was to deal with customer service could do such a thing and told me I had to leave and never come back...wich I did obviously. We then found a motel room right next the Hostel (The Castle Motel) wich was way better in terms of convenience and was actually less expensive considering that you can comfortably bed 4 people in a room.
Also, the owner was very friendly and accomodating. Anyway, in conclusion let's say that if you are not absolutely forced to stay at this hostel, I strongly suggest not to go there. You might just end up in jail for being human.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
Birmingham
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2009

Grim looking hostel with terrible service, very unpleasant atmosphere and we left covered in insect bites. It may be cheap but it's still too much to pay for this place.

We made three attempts to make a reservation via telephone as we were travelling from Washington DC, only to be told they don't take reservations, and then on arrival they wanted our reservation number.

Within five minutes the owner had told us America plan to invade England as they need a holiday home, he hates the French and wouldn't ever consider going to Europe as he's not interested in any of it,

Hostel itself is not up to the standard we've become used to in our month's travels so far - no towels, no air conditioning, no internet access, no breakfast, no water fountain, old smelly carpets, bed sheets that came from a yard sale (seriously), people actually living there long term, and not even a consideration to hold your luggage after checkout without payment, even for one hour after a four night stay, bearing in mind checkout is 9.30am.

We found the owner and the Russian girl he had hired extremely rude, agressive and offensive to the point that we were quite afraid to be around him. We were also told he treated the rest of the staff very badly. Makes for an extremely unpleasant atmosphere which really ruins your stay,

Spend a few more dollars and go to a motel with a pool, the streets are lined with them and they are all just a block from the beach so don't be put off by distances from the city centre, it's just a very long beach with amenities all the way along.

Am surprised Hostelling International would recommend this place, maybe they need to re-visit.

Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
Prices are for rooms, adults

Been to Angie's Guest Cottage B&B? Share your experiences!