“Good and getting better” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Westin Virginia Beach Town Center

You added Westin Virginia Beach Town Center to your Saves list
Westin Virginia Beach Town Center
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   4535 Commerce St, Virginia Beach, VA 23462 (Northwest Virginia Beach)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #31 of 114 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Virginia Beach, Virginia
“Good and getting better”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

When an affordable rate is available this property is head and shoulders above other nearby options. I was lucky enough to get a $99 rate as we are having a very large meeting there this summer and were doing a pre-meeting planning session there last week. They have refreshed the lobby and lobby bar area and appear to be doing the same to the rooms. Even the fitness center is going to be updated this spring and it's already better than most! On site Starbucks was very convenient.
The surrounding area is home to all sorts of restaurants and night-life and it's convenient to the entire Southside. Free parking in the attached garage is a nice plus too.
Staff was attentive and responsive. My only complaint is that the hotel bar closed too early but as mentioned, there are lots of places close by that stay open late.
The Hilton Garden Inn is an acceptable option (about 2 blocks away) if the Westin is sold out or priced above your budget.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
WestinVAManager, Manager at Westin Virginia Beach Town Center, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Thank you for sharing your experience. We were excited to hear that we were able to meet and exceed your expectations during your stay with us! It is true that we are moving forward on all the enhancements to the hotel rooms and fitness center you mention. We look forward to having the opportunity to serve you again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

I was having a bad day before coming the hotel as I come in the hotel thaddeus the bag boy said hello how can I help you young lady .. He look like he was 19 I am 37 and he call me a young lady I fell really good then I go to the front desk I and it was a paid room cris had my room ready it was so fast I walk in the room and there was no lock box in the room so thaddeus ask would you like me call and see if there one room with one so he found me a room with one that so nice of him .. I in joy the bed and room service was kind slow I ask for some thing and it was about a hour before they got to me At about 10pm thaddeus was out side I ask him were can I find a good place to drink he told me about the yard house he was nice to me so I got him some food but they told he was off 11pm anyway i had a good time great stuff I well love to come back soon

• Stayed January 2013
Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We will celebrate all your positive comments with our front desk and specifically Thaddeus. Thank you for staying with us. We look forward to serving you again soon.
Des Moines, Iowa, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

I travel to the area often for business and if e weather is nice I stay at the beach. When the weather is cooler, I stay closer to my client. The Westin is by far e best business property in the area. It is located in a safe area with restaurants in walking distance a mall a couple blocks away, movie theater nearby. The rooms are clean and well designed. The workout room is the largest hotel workout area I have ever walked through with all the machines and free weights you could want and a great view as well! The breakfast in e morning has very healthy options and for lunch a salad with salmon is very good too. One night my flight was late and I was so hungry. I called ahead and they made a salad for me to be ready when I arrived. There is a Starbucks in the lobby. Really enjoy this place!

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor looking north
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
On behalf of the entire Westin team here in Virginia Beach, thank you for the positive comments you have shared. We are so pleased to hear about your wonderful stay with us and that we are your hotel of choice for the future! We look forward to serving you again soon.
Chevy Chase, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

I came away from my stay at the Westin with very mixed emotions. On the plus side, the rooms are quite large with a calming decor and ultra quiet. And, of course, there's the Heavenly Bed. So, if it's a good night's sleep you're after, the Westin is the perfect place to get it.

And the location is good... assuming that your primary interest is chain restaurants and shops. The Town Center is one of those "insta-neighborhoods"... an attempt to give sprawling Virginia Beach an identity beyond the oceanfront. I guess it kinda works, but I don't find it particularly compelling. Give me a *real* city any day.

Now for the negative. There were troubling signs of deferred maintenance... little things but noticeable. Touch-up paint was needed all over the hotel and there were noticeable "dings" on the furnishing. After five years, it's expected that walls and finishes would get roughed up a bit, but management would do well to do a little spit and polish before things get out of hand. More troubling was the state of the carpet in my room. There was a big stain on the carpet where someone had clearly spilled coffee and other little stains here and there. Overall, the room was clean, but the carpet stain was off-putting to say the least.

Also not to my liking were the room service options. The menu items were very, ahem, ambitious. Sure, I'll go for fancy stuff with interesting ingredients if I'm in a restaurant, but usually if I'm going for room service, I just want something basic. Basic items were in short supply on the room service menu.

So, I can't really say that the Westin is a "bad" hotel, nor would I recommend that you stay away. It's just not for me.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a high floor.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for sharing your observations with us. We wanted to let you know we are in the middle of renovating all of our guest room carpets, hall carpets, and hallway walls. We hope to have the chance to serve you again soon and show you first hand these improvements to the hotel.
San Diego
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

Stayed here from New Years Eve thru first week of Jan

What I loved:
-location: walking distance to tons of places to eat & shop
-large rooms with great decor
-large bathrooms
-courteous helpful front desk staff w/ greta recommendations
-overall hotel design & decor
-AMAZING government rate for the rooms, even got it during NYE!

What I did not love:
-had issues with our toliet half of the time we were there, required us to call matenance 3 seperate times, that was always concerning because what if the time you go "#2" was the time the toliet didn't flush?!? Would have been very embarrassing, would have liked for the front desk to ask us if we wanted change rooms on the 2nd time beacuse by the 3rd time they came into the room & worked on the toliet with a big huge metal "snake" for like 30 mins, was a bit akward
-the bathroom amenities, have gotten much better & more choices @ other Westin hotels
-$9.95 a day internet access...come on it's 2013, can't we get free wifi?!?!?

I would definitely come back I love the Westin hotels & this was no exception, the toliet issue I am sure was just a random occurance & will not deter us from staying again!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for sharing your comments. Although it was exciting to hear about all the positive aspects of your visit, on behalf of the entire team, I apologize for the challenges you encountered concerning the plumbing in your room. We will share with our Director of Engineering to make sure this does not happen again in the future.
St. John`s, NL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for 2 nights in late November 2012.Very nice modern Hotel.Parking was free in a Parking Garage adjacent to the hotel.The room was roomy ,great bed,large flat screen TV,good sized fridge,nice furnishings.Internet was extra.We went for a swim in the indoor pool,not bad.Hotel is very close to a cluster of great restaurants and across the street from a new shopping mall,and about 15 minutes drive from Virginia Beach Oceanfront.All of this for less than $120.00 a night,taxes included!We certainly would recommend this place!

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for sharing your wonderful comments concerning you recent stay with us. We look forward to serving you again next time you visit Virginia Beach!
Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

It’s not your typical Westin hotel, but it was nice. The lobby is nice, but the lodging rooms lack the wow factor. The beds and shower are standard Westin branding. Now, the surrounding area is AMAZING! I would highly recommend checking out Surf Rider West Restaurant and Max & Erma’s. During the spring and summer months there are live free concerts. Overall, it was a good stay and I plan on returning.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for your positive comments about your stay with us here at the Westin. We could not agree with you more in your observations concerning how the Westin combined with all that the Towncenter area offers makes for a great experience. Again thank you for your comments, we look forward to serving you again soon.

Been to Westin Virginia Beach Town Center? Share your experiences!