“Just not feelin' it” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Westin Virginia Beach Town Center

Save Saved
You added Westin Virginia Beach Town Center to your Saves list
Westin Virginia Beach Town Center
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   4535 Commerce St, Virginia Beach, VA 23462 (Northwest Virginia Beach)   |
Hotel deals
Special Deal
Complimentary Breakfast
Ranked #36 of 115 hotels in Virginia Beach
Chevy Chase, Maryland
“Just not feelin' it”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

I came away from my stay at the Westin with very mixed emotions. On the plus side, the rooms are quite large with a calming decor and ultra quiet. And, of course, there's the Heavenly Bed. So, if it's a good night's sleep you're after, the Westin is the perfect place to get it.

And the location is good... assuming that your primary interest is chain restaurants and shops. The Town Center is one of those "insta-neighborhoods"... an attempt to give sprawling Virginia Beach an identity beyond the oceanfront. I guess it kinda works, but I don't find it particularly compelling. Give me a *real* city any day.

Now for the negative. There were troubling signs of deferred maintenance... little things but noticeable. Touch-up paint was needed all over the hotel and there were noticeable "dings" on the furnishing. After five years, it's expected that walls and finishes would get roughed up a bit, but management would do well to do a little spit and polish before things get out of hand. More troubling was the state of the carpet in my room. There was a big stain on the carpet where someone had clearly spilled coffee and other little stains here and there. Overall, the room was clean, but the carpet stain was off-putting to say the least.

Also not to my liking were the room service options. The menu items were very, ahem, ambitious. Sure, I'll go for fancy stuff with interesting ingredients if I'm in a restaurant, but usually if I'm going for room service, I just want something basic. Basic items were in short supply on the room service menu.

So, I can't really say that the Westin is a "bad" hotel, nor would I recommend that you stay away. It's just not for me.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a high floor.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
WestinVAManager, Manager at Westin Virginia Beach Town Center, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Thank you for sharing your observations with us. We wanted to let you know we are in the middle of renovating all of our guest room carpets, hall carpets, and hallway walls. We hope to have the chance to serve you again soon and show you first hand these improvements to the hotel.

370 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
San Diego
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

Stayed here from New Years Eve thru first week of Jan

What I loved:
-location: walking distance to tons of places to eat & shop
-large rooms with great decor
-large bathrooms
-courteous helpful front desk staff w/ greta recommendations
-overall hotel design & decor
-AMAZING government rate for the rooms, even got it during NYE!

What I did not love:
-had issues with our toliet half of the time we were there, required us to call matenance 3 seperate times, that was always concerning because what if the time you go "#2" was the time the toliet didn't flush?!? Would have been very embarrassing, would have liked for the front desk to ask us if we wanted change rooms on the 2nd time beacuse by the 3rd time they came into the room & worked on the toliet with a big huge metal "snake" for like 30 mins, was a bit akward
-the bathroom amenities, have gotten much better & more choices @ other Westin hotels
-$9.95 a day internet access...come on it's 2013, can't we get free wifi?!?!?

I would definitely come back I love the Westin hotels & this was no exception, the toliet issue I am sure was just a random occurance & will not deter us from staying again!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for sharing your comments. Although it was exciting to hear about all the positive aspects of your visit, on behalf of the entire team, I apologize for the challenges you encountered concerning the plumbing in your room. We will share with our Director of Engineering to make sure this does not happen again in the future.
St. John`s, NL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for 2 nights in late November 2012.Very nice modern Hotel.Parking was free in a Parking Garage adjacent to the hotel.The room was roomy ,great bed,large flat screen TV,good sized fridge,nice furnishings.Internet was extra.We went for a swim in the indoor pool,not bad.Hotel is very close to a cluster of great restaurants and across the street from a new shopping mall,and about 15 minutes drive from Virginia Beach Oceanfront.All of this for less than $120.00 a night,taxes included!We certainly would recommend this place!

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for sharing your wonderful comments concerning you recent stay with us. We look forward to serving you again next time you visit Virginia Beach!
Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

It’s not your typical Westin hotel, but it was nice. The lobby is nice, but the lodging rooms lack the wow factor. The beds and shower are standard Westin branding. Now, the surrounding area is AMAZING! I would highly recommend checking out Surf Rider West Restaurant and Max & Erma’s. During the spring and summer months there are live free concerts. Overall, it was a good stay and I plan on returning.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for your positive comments about your stay with us here at the Westin. We could not agree with you more in your observations concerning how the Westin combined with all that the Towncenter area offers makes for a great experience. Again thank you for your comments, we look forward to serving you again soon.
Richmond, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013 via mobile

Platinum SPG members beware. This is a Crestline Hotel licensed out by Westin LP. Zero amenities. Charged my card when I used cash and points. Not a typical SPG category 3. Management, except Tanya, was horrible. For example as a guest of the hotel still they charged my card off for an 'excessive bar bill'...I did not know there was a bar in this monolith. Mgmt suggested that maybe I forgot? They called me back to say the room was mine but it was another guest's mistake. No apologies offered and SPG has a new category. Scrap Metal Preferred. Another brand v franchise issue. The last night they disabled my Internet ( free for Platinum) and my television options. I have 10 Suite Nights with SPG, I would rather have a Platinum SPG members beware. This is a Crestline Hotel licensed out by Westin LP. Zero amenities. Charged my card when I used cash and points. Not a typical SPG category 3. Management, except Tanya, was horrible. For example as a guest of the hotel still they charged my card off for an 'excessive bar bill'...I did not know there was a bar in this monolith. Mgmt suggested that maybe I forgot? They called me back to say the room was mine but it was another guest's mistake. No apologies offered and SPG has a new category. Scrap Metal Preferred. Another brand v franchise issue. The last night they disabled my Internet ( free for Platinum) and my television options. I have 10 Suite Nights with SPG, I would rather have a keychain

• Stayed December 2012
Thank you for taking time to share your comments. We will review all of your observations with our team and the SPG program directors as we continue to look for ways to give outstanding Westin service to our guests.
Washington, DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

As a Va. Beach native, I return occasionally to visit family. I am a big fan of Starwood hotels and I am currently a gold member in their loyalty program. The Westin Town Center is about 15 minutes from the oceanfront and located in a nice setting of restaurants (recommend Bagels and More for breakfast, and Sonoma Wine Bistro for lunch), a few retail stores, a mall, and a performing arts center. The lobby is very modern and attractive. Our room was on the 15th floor and was huge with modern furnishings. Indoor parking is free and plentiful. In my opinion, this is the best hotel in Va. Beach. Its only potential competitor is the Hilton at the oceanfront but most beach hotels are way overpriced and not that nice.

My only suggestions for improvement would be to upgrade the equipment in the fitness center and make a few upgrades to the rooms. The hotel is not that old but there are a few signs of wear and tear. Our room had a few carpet stains and some scuffed up furniture. Not a big deal since the room was so nice. The staff was friendly and helpful. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone who wants a luxury hotel in Va. Beach.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for sharing your positive comments with us. We are in the process of renovating all of our sleeping room and hallway carpets as well as our fitness center. Thank you again for staying with us.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012 via mobile

We stayed overnight en route to SC. We are gold card members and the clerk upgraded us to a deluxe room on her own initiative. The corner room on the 15 th floor was wonderful with lots of windows and a great view. Bottled water and the fridge were in the sideboard. The bathroom had a separate tub and large shower stall with dual shower heads. The location was great. The hotel is within walking distance of lots of upscale shops, all varieties and a Regal theater.(We ate at the Irish pub, which was very noisy nut served good food.) The hotel has valet parking for $ or you can use; self parking in the attached garage. The garage has an elevator that stops at the lobby so you don't have to brave the weather if it's inclement.
We recommend stopping here.

• Stayed December 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your wonderful comments about your stay with us! We were excited to hear that our team able to exceed your expectations. We look forward to your next visit.

Been to Westin Virginia Beach Town Center? Share your experiences!