“Decent location, slow service, okay rooms considering the price” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Westin Virginia Beach Town Center

You added Westin Virginia Beach Town Center to your Saves list
Westin Virginia Beach Town Center
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   4535 Commerce St, Virginia Beach, VA 23462 (Northwest Virginia Beach)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #37 of 114 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Baltimore, Maryland
“Decent location, slow service, okay rooms considering the price”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2011

My family and I were in town for a graduation and we chose to stay at the Westin on a recommendation from those who live in Virginia Beach. Since it is summer and the oceanfront was very busy, we chose to stay in the Town Center, knowing that there would be lots of extra activities and restaurants in the area.

We were very impressed by the area, though we quickly learned that it was mostly filled with overpriced restaurants and, strangely, no real breakfast locations (the restaurants and eateries we saw did not open until 10:30 or 11:00 am). It was nice, though, to be able to to walk out the door of the hotel and access a variety of entertainment and food and not be limited to what the hotel had to offer.

When we arrived, there was only one person working at the front desk; despite being next in line, we had to wait ten minutes or so to check-in, even with other staff behind the desk walking around. We did ask for additional towels upon entering the room, as we booked the room for four people and there were only three towels. The towels came up quickly but an additional trip to the front desk to get forgotten also involved a wait of several minutes.

Rooms were clean, but worn and dated especially for the price. The beds were comfortable but the rest of the furniture was very box-y and mismatched and fairly ugly. There were stains on the carpet. Did not have the problem with sound that other reviewers had; in fact, it was one of the quietest rooms I have been in for some time.

I did get to use the gym and was impressed with the variety of machines and the overall quality of the gym compared to other hotels that boast "gyms" that are a small room with a treadmill.

Overall, the hotel was a good place to stay for the reasons we were there. It was comfortable enough, clean, and quiet. However, the money used to wow with a beautiful lobby and decent gym should have been used in making the guest rooms worth the asking price. Or they could have at least included free internet!

• Stayed June 2011
WestinVAManager, Manager at Westin Virginia Beach Town Center, responded to this review, June 23, 2011
Thank you for sharing your observations with us. We were excited to hear that your overall experience was positive. To answer your breakfast question, our restaurant does offer a complete breakfast menu including buffet each morning. Concerning your comment on the guest room carpet, although we have an internal carpet cleaning program that allows us to get into each room regularly, from your information, we failed in this case and we apologize for any inconvenience this caused. Thank you again for sharing your information.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2011

After exploring the hotel options for a wedding at Norfolk Botanical Garden on Trip Advisor, I selected the Westin because of its location in Town Center. It is also about midway between the oceanfront and the Botanical Garden /Norfolk Airport so it has an ideal location. Our group consisted of many family members and friends flying in from CA, PA, and OH so they really appreciated the easy trip from the airport followed up by easy beachfront access. Many, many group members thanked me for selecting the Westin. They praised the responsiveness of the front desk staff, the Westin heavenly beds and shower and the overall relaxing effect experienced as soon as they entered the building. The hallways and elevators were clean and quiet which made for a relaxing night's sleep. I spent quite a bit of time taking things from one floor to the other and the hallways were quiet Tuesday-Friday night. We all liked meeting at the three tables with four chairs each in the lobby and watching the fountains. One of our group members is a business traveler and has stayed world wide at a variety of Westins and he liked this one.

Now to address some issues noted by other reviewers. I made a point of checking out the white towel situation. For the first few days, our towels were white. At no time were they ever less than very sanitary. Finally I noticed that some of them did have the gray tinge after use mentioned by others. I spoke to a frequent world business traveler in our group who compared them to the towels you'd find in the Netherlands. She expected thicker, fluffier towels at a hotel of the Westin's caliber. When I brought this topic up with the front desk manager, she said they are working to improve the situation which involves doing laundry in hard water.

Parking: Yes, it is free and you do not need to go outside from the parking garage to enter the hotel lobby. We heard two pairs of other people not in our group complaining about the need to exit the hotel to the sidewalk and enter the lobby through the front doors. Not true. When you enter the attached parking garage, just be aware of where the hotel is and walk toward an interior wall where you will see a large red and white sign by the elevators which reads "Hotel Lobby". Be sure to park in spaces outlined with white paint. Avoid red outlined parking spaces and watch the signs for the private areas. Parking was never a problem.

Internet: Yes, it is almost $10 per day, but at least it worked well and quickly for our business traveler who had to upload some lenghty information.

Inroom Safe: Ours had an electronic problem so we used the safe deposit boxes located in an area off the lobby. We had our own key and sign in card just like at the bank. Good solution and always available.

Newsworthy Critters: One of our family members did the Dr. Oz style thorough inspection of two rooms and gave us a thumbs up. I won't even mention that word.

Pool: I am a major pool and beach traveler so this is an area of great interest to me. I am very happy to report that the Westin's pool is much nicer than it appears in the website photos. It was very sunny and brightly lit with natural light and entrance was controlled by room keycard. One of our couples took their six month old baby for his first swim. There was no overpowering chlorine smell and the water was sparkling and clear.

Everyone loved Town Center and how easy it was to run across the street for a quick breakfast at Daily Grind or Simply Fresh. Try the breakfast sandwich at Simply Fresh for about $4. It had a very nicely prepared poached egg with a choice of cheese. It was so convenient to gather together with family and new friends at Gordon Biersch, the Red Star Tavern and Keegan's each night and then just enjoy a nice walk back to the hotel in a safe, well lit area. Tuxes were rented and easily returned to the Men's Warehouse just around the block. Others enjoyed crossing VA Beach Blvd. and shopping at Pembroke Mall. There is an above average Kohls and a very nice Steinmart to explore so bring your coupons. On summer Fridays there is an art show in the Town Center Park.

We are frequent visitors to Virginia Beach and highly recommend breakfast at Citrus on Great Neck Rd. near Shore Drive. Also not to be missed is lunch or dinner at the Jewish Mother in its new Hilltop location just off First Colonial across from the Target store. We always make a point of visiting Rudees Inlet for a seafood lunch at Rudees so we can sit on the deck in the gliders or enjoy dinner at Rockafellers next door. These restaurants are down near the south end of the oceanfront and have nice marina views. Ask for directions.

The Westin and Towncenter made a whole lot of friends for Virginia Beach and most of them plan to return.

Room Tip: Ask for a mall view. Extended checkout available.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Thank you for all of your positive comments. Our Westin team works hard everyday striving to give all of our guests an outstanding experience. We are excited to hear that we were able to accomplish this goal. Thank you again for sharing your observations. We look forward to serving you again soon.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2011 via mobile

This is by far the worst Westin I have stayed at. The staff is not helpful. The service at the front desk is poor and questions are treated as if they are an undo burden placed on the staff. The rooms are okay but lack the the special amenities and comfort you generally find. I would spend the extra money next time amd stay a little closer to the beach.

• Stayed June 2011
WestinVAManager, Manager at Westin Virginia Beach Town Center, responded to this review, June 28, 2011
We apologize for the challenges you mention during your last stay with us. Although specific amenities are not mentioned, we continue to add to the guest rooms and have recently purchased refrigerators for all our rooms. We will be completed with this installation with in the next few weeks. We hope you will consider us again for your next visit to Virginia Beach and the Town Center area.
Richmond, VA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2011

I was very disappointed with my recent stay at this Westin. I have stayed here once or twice before and didn't have any problems. The hotel has acceptable decor and comfort and the room are large. My problem started at check in. I had gone through Expedia and prepaid in full for two nights, Thursday and Friday. Due to car problems, I was unable to make it down Thurday. I arrived Friday morning around 11:30 AM. The clerk at the front desk told me they could not honor my prepaid Expedia reservation because I did not call to advise I was delayed and not checking in until Friday, rather than Thursday. Therefore, she said I needed to resolve the problem with Expedia or pay them their rack rate of $159+ for Friday night. Keep in mind, Friday had already been prepaid. I completely understand not getting reimbursed for Thursday. I didn't even ask for reimbursement because I know going through Expedia is different. However, it made absolutely no sense they would not honor Friday night. I asked to speak to a manager and shortly thereafter, I was told they would honor Friday night. With that issue resolved, I finally check in. The first thing I noticed was the unusually loud water pipes in the bathroom. Flushing the toilet, turning on the water in the sink or tub causing a very loud noise that abated after a couple minutes. Although annoying, I wasn't too concerned with that issue because I was leaving to attend a concert shortly and would only be back to sleep. Fast forward a few hours later. After being asleep for a couple hours, I was awakened by some type of very, very loud mechanical noise. It sounded like a combination of the water pipe noises I had heard earlier, perhaps a vacuum (but would think they would be vacuuming at 2:00 AM), perhaps the refrigerator humming. I unplugged the refrigerator to no avail. I did not bother calling the front desk because who wants to change rooms at 2:00 AM when check out if just a few hours later. I'm sure they were aware of this problem and something tells me this is the room the desk clerk assigned me after her manager overrode her decision to honor my Friday night prepaid reservation. Just a thought. Another complaint is the lack of free Wifi. I have stayed at various hotels, some 2.5 star all the way up to 4.5 star. I was shocked to see I had to pay almost $10 a day for use of the Wifi. Next, I needed to print a document. I do not have a printer for my laptop so went to the hotels business center. They charge almost $7 per 15 MINUTES for the use of their computers in the business center. Again, this is usually a complimentary service at most hotels. Finally, I needed to print a one page document, so you guessed it, another charge. Albeit, the charge was 69 cents but really? It was just ridiculous and for the money I spent.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
We apologize for the challenges you encountered during your most recent visit with us. Concerning your observations with using Expedia; many times booking directly with Starwood hotels does allow for more flexibility for the property to help in situations like what you described. Thank you also for making us aware of the noise issue, we will investigate it immediately to determine what could have caused such a disturbance.
Thank you again for sharing your comments.
Ulster, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2011

Area was close to where we were visiting and the area was nice. Rooms were clean, except for chair had some stains on it. Towels the first day were dingy, old and thin, next day they were nice white and fluffy. Bathroom was very small, beds comfortable. Gym was good as well as the pool. Booked this online but had to pay extra to get a room that was not used by pets which were the higher floor rooms.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you for sharing your comments with us. We apologize for the challenge you encountered on your first day with the less then acceptable towels. We have purchased new towels and will continue to discard our present inventory of towels do not meet the Westin standard you expect and deserve. We look forward to serving you again when you next visit Virginia Beach and the Town Center area.
Hood River, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2011

Was here on business for a couple nights. Room was VERY nice, staff very nice. My only beef is the charge for internet access seemed a bit steep. The location is within walking distance of several very nice restaurants, and even a huge shopping mall. The hotel bar and restaurant have limited hours, which I believe is to get you to go to one of the many local establishments. FREE parking was also a nice perk. Overall, very impressed.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Thank you for sharing the outstanding comments describing your stay with us and your visit to Town Center! We will share and celebrate your compliments with our team. Concerning the internet charge, we do offer complimentary internet to our Platinum Level Starwood Preferred Guest Members and would welcome the chance to get you started in this great program. We look forward to serving you again soon.
Alexandria, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2011

I'm making more frequent trips to my company's Virginia Beach office. I typically stay at Hilton properties to get the membership points, but the Westin was recommended and my boss was staying there, and the rate was good, so I decided to try it.

Upon arrival my hopes were high. New and clean building, slick lobby, extremely friendly check-in staff. When I got to my room (on the 13th floor), I was impressed by the new and clean looking room. Then, the problems began to surface.

1. Finding an a/c plug for my computer anywhere near the desk was a huge pain. I had get down on the floor, move the desk and struggle to get to the wall outlet. No convenient plugs ON THE TOP of the desk or attached to the desk lamp like most other hotels. I had to plug in my phone and set it on the floor by the closet because there were no better plug locations - not leaving the phone by the sink in the bathroom! For a new looking property this is an inexcuseable inconvenience.

2. I was shocked when I first walked in to hear the sound of somebody urinating - no kidding - in an adjacent bathroom. The soundproofing was so poor that I could hear it whenever a neighbor used the restroom - tinkling, flushing, etc. Again, I frequently stay at hotels and rarely can I remembering noticing this enough to be bothered.

3. I arrived on a Sunday afternoon and had business meetings until late in prep for a big presentation the following morning. I got back to my hotel room at about 11pm and wanted to order room service, as they have 24/7 room service. I looked around my room for a few minutes and couldn't find a hotel guide with a menu. When I called room service, they directed me to turn on the TV to access the menu. It took several minutes for the slow TV to turn on and then for me to navigately SLOWLY through the menu pages that took a long time to load. Finally I got to the late night room service menu and I called in an order for a personal pizza. They told me it would be 30-35 minutes, which was fine. I was surprised when just moments later (less than 10 minutes), a manager showed up to deliver my pizza. She told me that they aren't set up to use ovens after hours, so the best they could do was microwave a pizza. She lifted the cover off the plate to reveal a ridiculously small and unappealing square microwaved pizza, wet with grease and about as thin as a cracker. Being too tired to fight and hungry enough to eat anything at this point, I just signed for it but I probably should have just sent it back and hit the vending machine to save the $15. Again, I've stayed in many hotels, including the Westin Times Square in NYC, and I've never had a pizza this bad even when ordering at 3am. And why isn't there something in the room directing guests to use the TV for the Hotel guide?

4. I set my alarm for 6:30am. At a little after 6, I was awoken by a loud rumbling sound and a vibration that shook my bed. It wasn't an earthquake, but apparently it was either the employee elevator across the hall from my room, or possibly something to do with the plumbing. It happened again ten minutes later. By this point, I just wrote this hotel off and wanted to get out.

5. The faucet in the shower was loose enough to nearly come off the wall. Clearly, when the housekeepers clean they aren't reporting this to maintenance.

I had an extremely pleasant stay at the Hilton Virginia Beach on the ocean, and I am told that the airport Hilton is also very good. I will not stay at this Westin again, although I would stay at other Westin's as I've generally liked them.

To summarize - despite being a beautiful hotel overall, the quality of the stay was more akin to a Motel 6 or Super 8. Although the bed was comfortable, the noise level and other annoyances made it an unpleasant sleep experience.

Room Tip: There are better options in VA Beach
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
WestinVAManager, Manager at Westin Virginia Beach Town Center, responded to this review, May 10, 2011
Thank you for sharing your experience. It is great to hear that you encountered our friendly staff and clean rooms. We will use your other observations to continue to improve.

Been to Westin Virginia Beach Town Center? Share your experiences!