“Tremendous!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #47 of 114 Hotels in Virginia Beach
GreenLeadersBronze level
“Tremendous!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2014

SpringHill Suites is by far the best Hotel I've stayed at here in Virginia Beach. What I love most about this place is the hospitality. The employees really make you feel at a home away from home and they're so caring especially our room attendant during our stay here on the 14th Floor, Ms. Judith such a beautiful soul and truly a sweet woman that made sure everything we needed on our stay was fulfilled and the way this lady cleans a room is more than outstanding! I couldn't ask for anything else. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: The higher the better
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
SpringHillVBManager, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Virginia Beach Oceanfront, responded to this review, May 2, 2014
Thank you for your review of our hotel and the kind words about our team. We are glad that you had such an extraordinary stay with us while you were visiting the Virginia Beach area. We are lucky to have people like Judith on our team to give such great attention to our guests and provide the kind of customer service that we strive for. We hope to see you again on your next visit to the area!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (200)
Arlington, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2014

I'm supposed to be here for a two-month business trip, but I am looking into moving to a new hotel. I am just constantly shocked at the problems I've had here and how little management cares.

Biggest issue, after coming back from the gym before work, the lock on my door malfunctioned. I was locked out of my room for hours, while I waited for the engineer to try several different options before he finally had to take a chainsaw to cut the door down. I had to take a half a day of personal leave and miss an important meeting, and couldn't even tell anyone because I didnt have access to my phone to call in. Thank god I wasn't trying to catch a flight. The engineer that helped me was very nice but the guy at the front desk continually brushed me off, saying he was a volunteer and it wasn't his problem. I was assured by two different people I would be able to talk to a manager but have yet to hear anything.

Second biggest issue, the toilet ran randomly, about once every hour or so. It would wake me up several times a night. A separate engineer came to fix it but only made it slightly quieter. After complaining again, a manager came up to help me, and made sure I was aware he had gone out of his way to do this. He "fixed" it by turning off the water so it didn't work at all. My third complaint about the toilet brought back another engineer, assured me he could fix it by replacing a valve, disappeared for an hour, and then I got a call from the front desk saying I would have to change rooms (this was at about 11:30pm, and I have two months worth of stuff to pack up). No explanation about what changed from the previous hour when I was told it could be fixed. The engineer finally did come back and successfully fixed it, which suggests to me he was just too lazy to do it the first time.

Third issue, which didn't happen to me but I witnessed it. The elevator broke down with people trapped in it. I don't know how long they were in there.

other smaller thing: I am here for two months, but the front desk continually only programs my key for 2-3 days at a time, so I have to go downstairs and get it re-programmed to get into my room. The remote for the tv in my room worked only about half the time (to turn off as well as to turn on, so sometimes I would just have to mute it to go to bed because it would'nt turn off), the card reader for the elevator in the parking garage would only sometimes work so I'd have to walk down several flights of stairs to get into the hotel, sometimes with luggage; two lamps in my room broke (lightbulb change didn't fix them) and the engineer didnt do anything to fix them.

Pros: great location, the chief engineer was awesome, good breakfast included.

Cons: Basically everything else you can think of - all issues above: Getting locked out of my room, toilet broken, lazy engineers (other than chief engineer), unresponsive management, elevators breaking, parking lot elevators, tv remote not working, lamps breaking; also room service would sometimes not answer the phone, refrigerator too cold and freezes my food. Stay somewhere else

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
SpringHillVBManager, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Virginia Beach Oceanfront, responded to this review, April 28, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am very sorry that you are not satisfied with your current stay. I surely understand your frustration with the numerous issues you have encountered during your time with us. I can assure you that this is not the type of service we strive to provide, and sincerly apologize. We do value you as a guest and we always make sure we address any problems guest unfortunately experience. We will continue to try to connect with you so we may resolve the matter to your satisfaction and allow you to enjoy the remiander of your stay.
Lutherville, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2014

I love this property and the amenities but when you sit on the side of the bed and find a fresh cut toenail that's not yours, something is wrong. Housekeeping needs to be THOROUGH.
My room this visit is on an upper floor and recently refreshed. Very nice.
Something else that's underrated and rarely mentioned is the room service menu. Casual beach fare done well. The tuna bites, Buffalo chicken wraps, burgers and chicken sandwiches are outstanding and decently priced! Don't forget to tip the server.

Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Thank you so much for your return visit! We appreciate your loyalty to our hotel and am glad we are able to deliver consistent service. I will follow up with housekeeping to ensure attention to detail. I'm so pleased you enjoyed our room service options while you were here. We look forward to seeing you again for your next trip to Virginia Beach!
Catskill Mts.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2014

Overall I enjoyed our stay at SpringHill Suites and would recommend it. I'm glad that I read Trip Advisor first because I asked for a room on the 2nd floor and it was really nice having a huge balcony! The view of the beach and ocean is absolutely beautiful. A free breakfast is offered every day from 6:30 - 9:30 and there are more than enough choices to make everyone happy. Waffle makers, eggs, fresh fruit, assorted breads/bagels, different breakfast meat every day, yogurt, cereal, granola, juice, coffee, tea, cocoa, etc. The entire staff was very friendly and always said hello, or good morning, or have a good day. The only thing I would have to say as a negative is that if you are staying for more than a few days the regular suite, which is what we stayed in as the suites with bedrooms were all sold out, can get a little cramped with 4 people. There was 2 queen beds and a sofa bed, so that obviously wasn't a problem. But....the closet is medium sized and the dresser only has 3 drawers, so one of our children had to keep their clothes in their suitcase the whole time. It wasn't a huge deal, just wish there was more drawers to put all our stuff for the week. Also on our last full day there our room wasn't cleaned and we were gone all day so it's not like we were hanging around the room and they couldn't get in. It was late when we got back and we were leaving the next day so I didn't bother calling the front desk. All the other days our room was cleaned very well and was well stocked with towels, shampoo, etc. My husband used the exercise room every day and he really liked that he could work out while enjoying the ocean view! Also, there is plenty of parking, which we found to be pretty nice in that area! Lots of stores right across the street for souvenir shopping too. Oh, if you are particular about your pillow you might want to bring your own, the pillows in our room were really big and round. Overall it was a lot of fun and our stay was very pleasant.

Room Tip: 2nd floor has huge balcony!
Green Features: Like most hotels you hang up the towels that you don't want replaced, which I think is a great idea. Also under the kitchen sink they have a garbage pail and a recycle pail, which I'm seeing in more hotels and that makes me happy!
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
SpringHillVBManager, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Virginia Beach Oceanfront, responded to this review, April 21, 2014
Thank you so very much for choosing to stay with us and taking the time to inform us about your visit. We are pleased to learn you enjoyed your time at our hotel, and appreciate your feedback on our amenities and team members. We hope to see you again whenever you are in Virginia Beach!
Berryville, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2014

This is a great family hotel! It's clean and quiet, the free breakfast was nice, it's just steps from the beach, and what was especially nice for us was that even though it was right on the boardwalk, it was still further down Atlantic Ave, away from the carnival atmosphere (amusement park rides, traffic, crowds of people) that is on further up. We were only minutes away from the Aquarium, and other points west that were easy to get to, and away from the crowds.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
SpringHillVBManager, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Virginia Beach Oceanfront, responded to this review, April 18, 2014
Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to inform us about your stay. We are striving to provide you with the most comfortable and friendly environment possible. Positive guest comments, such as yours, are crucial to assure that we are maintaining the level of quality and service that you expect and deserve. We look forward to being your home away from home whenever you are in Virginia Beach!
Naperville, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2014

My family and I stayed here to visit my sister that we haven't seen in over four years. This hotel was very clean, and all the employee were very friendly. Talyor the guest service rep was very patient with the booking of my reservation and very helpful, with places to take the kids in the area. When I arrived the 11-7 guy I think he name was James took his time and provided us help with our bags to our room. Which was very helpful since we drove from Chicago we arrived really late. I would recommend staying at this hotel again it was very close to my sister house, and the view and shopping was great to keep everyone active. The staff treated you like were family, making sure you were ok, and helping with any way they could. The manager on staff was awesome!!!! Thanks for give us a great experience a place that would be a home away from home.

Thanks again
Shonta A

Room Tip: Very clean hotel, and friendly staff.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
SpringHillVBManager, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Virginia Beach Oceanfront, responded to this review, April 14, 2014
Thank you so much for the feedback on your recent trip. I am glad our staff was accommodating during your stay. We appreciate your taking the time to leave us a review and look forward to the next time you can visit us in Virginia Beach!
Glen Allen, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2014

Its our second visit here, the first being 2 years ago and we still enjoyed the hotel. There was plenty of parking. Check in was swift and we enjoyed the free tea and coffee before heading to our rooms. As far as I can see all the rooms face the ocean. All the staff we encountered, front desk, cleaning and breakfast were very pleasant and appeared happy in there work. The only thing we would say that is in both rooms we remade the beds. They had either been made in a hurry and poorly or they need to upgrade there linen to better fitting products. The mattress cover didn't really fit the bed and neither did the sheet, a sign of shrinkage from too mush washing.
Mahi Mah, is a nice restaurant 2 blocks away and was recommended to us last time we stayed, we did find it overly noisy this time though.
The breakfast has stayed the same, waffles, toast, muffins, fruit, cereal and a hot selection - everything you need.

Room Tip: They all face the sea, what more do you need.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for your return visit! We appreciate your loyalty to our hotel and are glad we delivered consistent service. We appreciate your feedback on the sheets and will look into a resolution. We hope you will continue to stay with us whenever you come to Virginia Beach!

Been to SpringHill Suites Virginia Beach Oceanfront? Share your experiences!