“Excellent Virginia Beach hotel experience” 5 of 5 stars
Review of SpringHill Suites Virginia Beach Oceanfront

Save Saved
You added SpringHill Suites Virginia Beach Oceanfront to your Saves list
SpringHill Suites Virginia Beach Oceanfront
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   901 Atlantic Ave, Virginia Beach, VA 23451 (Northeast Virginia Beach)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Free Parking
Ranked #44 of 114 Hotels in Virginia Beach
GreenLeadersBronze level
Hartford, Connecticut
“Excellent Virginia Beach hotel experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2008

We recently stayed for four nights at the Springhill suites in Virginia Beach. We loved the oceanfront views and having the 2 mile boardwalk right outside the hotel.

The staff was always polite and friendly and greeted us in the halls. The front desk helped us with any questions that came up.

We liked the convenience of a washer and dryer available. They gave you the detergent and bounce for the dryer at the front desk (complimentary)

The breakfast was definitely more than we have received at other continental breakfasts. My husband was pleased with the eggs and sausage.

I liked the colorful decor.

The suites were spacious and you just can't get anything better than an ocean view and being able to hear the sound of the waves .

Virginia Beach had a very nice family atmosphere.

Watch your speed ...they are very strict and do stop you if you are going over the limit.

Only thing I could complain about is that the bathroom seemed undercleaned (hair in tub and floor had dirt on it) We did leave a note for the front desk when we were leaving to let them know and I felt confident that they would address the problem.

We would not hesitate to come back to this hotel.

• Liked — ocean front, boardwalk outside door,decor,breakfast,staff friendly
  • Disliked — bathroom undercleaned
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (175)
Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2008

My husband and I just returned from an overnight stay with Springhill Suites Virginia Beach Oceanfront and we absolutely loved our stay! The room and view of the ocean was beautiful. We also held a special event at this establishment and the staff from the front desk to the banquet service staff was just outstanding!

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and we will definitely stay again when we are in the area!

• Liked — Beautiful accomodations and outstanding customer service by the staff
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Stayed May 2008
BALTIMORE
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2008

Very good hotel. Nice people working. Great rooms. Nice pool. Nice gym.

• Stayed May 2008
Indianapolis, Indiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2008

My husband and I just got back from what was supposed to be a restful, romantic weekend away at the beach. We booked the Springhill because of the #1 rating. I usually do a lot more research before choosing a place to stay as we are somewhat picky, but I figured for this much-needed time away we should just pick the best and pay whatever it cost to truly indulge ourselves.
Well, that said, the Springhill did not deliver. We booked a regular king suite on the 12th floor.

Good points: clean, new hotel with decent-sized suites. Decor was bright and cheery. The balcony is very small with a flimsy plastic gate, however, the view of the ocean was beautiful and right on the water.
Bathroom water pressure was fine. Two TVs - one regular size in the bedroom and another flat-screen above the desk in the living room area. Nice, roomy lobby. Fair-sized indoor pool and jacuzzi. Outdoor pool was somewhat private but we didn't get to use it because it was too cold.

Negatives: If the weather is bad (it was very cold and overcast/rainy) forget about having a restful weekend. Children take over the indoor pool at all hours (even late at night) and run around screaming through the halls.
There is no bar or restaurant inside the hotel. They only have a snack bar which cost me almost $3 for a small package of Chex mix. You purchase items at the front desk.
Most employees are very young and not helpful/knowledgeable. We received more than one blank stare when asking for advice/help. If you bring a laptop it's at your own risk - the safe deposit boxes are too small to accommodate them.
The hot breakfast is way over-rated. I am not a wealthy person but have stayed at hotels similar to this one where the breakfast was much better and not set up so people were running into each other trying to get to the cold eggs (BTW - what passes for eggs are those small not-much-bigger than a quarter sized-discs).
Also, the beds are a very small king size. I would say closer to queen and very firm with standard-size pillows. If you like a somewhat plush, regular king-size bed, you're out of luck.
Towels were rough and smaller than most other hotels.

If you are looking for a relaxing, romantic weekend at the beach do yourself a favor and stay at the Hilton a few miles up on Pacific Ave. We went inside that hotel to get warm and call a taxi back to Springhill and were blown away by the main floor with its incredible restaurant, bar, and amazing customer service the employees were giving the guests. Well worth the money. We would have stayed there the second night but they were booked.

However, if you want to just bring the kids for some beach fun, book a hotel off the beach and save your money. There were TONS of decent motels and hotels right on Pacific Ave/ the boardwalk and all you have to do is cross the street and walk to the beach. Spend your money on other things - like the delicious dining options in and around the beachfront!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Small, too-firm bed
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Western Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2008

I had a very bad experience at this hotel regarding cleanliness. Upon arriving at the hotel after a very long drive of ten hours, I wanted to use the bathroom in my room. In the bathroom I found a sizable quantity of fecal and blood matter on both the toilet seat and the flush handle. I was absolutely horrified. It was unclean, unsanitary and possibly medically dangerous as diseases can be transmitted through blood. You may inquire as to why I didn’t call the front desk. As I had just checked in and assumed the room had been “cleaned” before I arrived, I had no confidence that the cleaning staff would improve on their work if they took a second attempt. Therefore, I purchased cleaning supplies and cleaned the bathroom myself.

The cleaning supplies turned out to be a good purchase as the bathrooms in both rooms we rented were littered with pubic hairs. One of the beds had crumbs all over the bedspread as well. Overall, the cleanliness of the rooms was very poor. In particular, the blood and fecal matter was very disturbing. I travel frequently for business and occasionally for pleasure and this was the first time I have ever had anything like this occur.

I did contact the hotel about the condition of the bathrooms. I was refunded one night on one of my rooms. The manager gave a half hearted apology and said things like this do not happen. I did not feel the condescending, insincere apology or the one night refund was enough to make up for going into a bathroom in such poor condition.

• Liked — Not much, the unlclean bathroom set the tone...
  • Disliked — Lack of cleanliness
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
degau816, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Virginia Beach Oceanfront, responded to this review, May 12, 2008
It is never pleasant to hear when things do not go as planned or our guests expectations were not me. This feedback both positve and negative are neccessary for our improvement.

Unfortunatly this situation was never brought to our attention and we were never given the opportunity to address this while the guest was in the hotel. The substances that this guest stated was present upon arrival does not seem like something a guest would take the time or risk to clean up. However, we did apologize and refund the fist night of this guests stay in an effort to show our commitment to our guests satisfaction.

Please continue to read all the positive comments listed below and you will understand why we are ranked the #1 hotel in Virginia Beach. Thank you to all the tripadvisor customers who continue with the positive comments.

Long Island
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2008

So we just came back from a 3 night stay at this hotel. It is wonderful. The view was outstanding, we were on the 12th floor. I do see how the 2nd floor balconies are gigantic! So if that is something you are looking for, def. request that. The other balconies hold 2 chairs and a little tiny side table, thats it.
The rooms were very large and very comfy. The pool was great, jacuzzi was just what we needed.
Breakfast was outstanding for a free bkfast. Wow. Everything you could possible ask for. IF you walk away hungry than you are crazy.
The front desk was so courteous and helpful, finding restaurants, directions, etc. We even decided to stay an extra night. Now...my only issue.. The maid blew by our room, I saw her on the room before, then I went downstairs for a bit, came back up, saw her about 3 rooms down, assuming she finished our room....Open he door NOPE, nothing, we had nooooo toilet paper no towels....nothing....I was annoyed, I went downstairs to tell front desk as we were leaving, and when we came back it was done, however, no restocking of coffee products, or shampoos??? Maid was probably mad.
OK eating. Kimballs across the street, kinda kitchy, but burgers were good and very cheap. Pizza Planet, great great great, Kids menu, kids food, pizza, subs, italian foods.... Great location for food. The Italian restaurant that everyone talks about, Il Giardano (sp?) across the way, was supposed to be great. We went there and I say...ehhh. I have had much much better, way 2 pricey. We are from NY so maybe I expect 2 much. But I was NOT impressed in any way.
Overall, we would def. stay there again. Its a quieter location down by 9th st, and still have the boardwalk, the beach and comfy rooms.. Enjoy your stay.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — cleaning service
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
TN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2008

This place is great. We stayed four nights and I can't complain about anything. It is spacious and clean and the staff is wonderful.
- Breakfast offered many options, the most I have ever seen for a continental breakfast. We especially liked the blueberry muffins and making our own waffles.
- They have coffee, tea, and hot chocolate available in the lobby 24 hours a day and they keep it well stocked with a wide variety of teas and creamers.
- They also have a very small "store" in the lobby where you can get drinks, snacks, tylenol, etc...
- Three computers are available for use in the lobby area.
- The indoor heated pool was a nice size and clean. We were there four days and I saw the guy test the water everyday.
- It is located within walking distance to many different places to eat . "Planet Pizza" located just across the street offers pizzas, sandwiches, salads and pastas.
This was our first trip to Virginia Beach, I thought the Boardwalk was nice but I think we will stick with Myrtle Beach.
SpringHill Suites Oceanfront is definitely the place to stay, you will not be disappointed.

• Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to SpringHill Suites Virginia Beach Oceanfront? Share your experiences!