My husband, infant (8-months-old) daughter and I spent a relaxing January weekend here taking in the ocean views and enjoying the peace and quiet. The staff was excellent and accommodating of our baby's needs; Rashawn, Shawna, and Nikki were particularly helpful, providing us with delivery menus, a highchair, and plastic tableware on our evening in.
We were somewhat disappointed when we arrived that our room wasn't ready - it was still waiting on fresh linens. Granted, we got there at 12:30 and check-in is at 4, but I'd e-mailed and called in advance to request an early check-in. The desk clerk was very helpful and recommended a lunch spot while we waited, so we wandered down the beach for some food. When we got back at 2, our room still wasn't ready; the desk clerk then pushed housekeeping to finish, and they said it would be ready in five minutes. This rush might explain why housekeeping put a queen-size fitted sheet on our king-size bed. That made my husband absolutely crazy all night, but it was rectified the next day. Housekeeping staff also were nice enough to set up a Graco portable crib that I'd requested. It was great not having to worry about bringing a pack 'n play, but the downside was that the hotel didn't provide a mattress for the crib; instead, they folded several sheets together and lined the bottom. My daughter moved around quite a bit and constantly pulled up the sheet, then cried when she bumped her head on the hard surface. Next time I'll probably bring my own pack 'n play.
Our room was on the 11th floor and had a spectacular view of the ocean. We were a bit nervous about being across from the elevator, but the hotel was quiet (with the exception of the occasional Gollum-like cough from a neighbor who sounded way too sick to be traveling; fortunately, good insulation muffled most of that noise). The layout of the room was terrific (we had a studio room with king-size bed). The bed and TV were separated by a small partition from a sofa bed and TV, making this an excellent arrangement for families with small children.
Apart from the very minor issue of waiting for our room, our only complaint was that the indoor pool was cold and dirty. We were excited at the prospect of taking our daughter to a pool for the first time, and even more excited when we saw how nice the pool looked through the lobby windows. Well, it looked pretty from a distance, but up close was another matter. The water was tepid at best, and there were small brown pieces of...something...floating in the water. We spent five minutes in the pool and got out quickly, disappointed that our daughter's first swimming adventure was in a bust.
On a brighter note, the weather was sunny and pleasant enough for walks on the beach. We also enjoyed visiting some of the local restaurants featured on the show Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives (I'd recommend Whitner's BBQ any day - yum!). We also got some great pictures of our little one at the aquarium. All in all, a fun weekend and very nice hotel!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Relax at the SpringHill Suites by Marriott Virginia Beach Oceanfront, where weekend jaunts, family vacations and even business trips put a smile on your face. Featuring all oceanfront suites with private balcony, microwave, mini-frig, 2 TVs, complimentary breakfast, free wireless internet, free local calls and complimentary parking. Enjoy our indoor pool and expansive outdoor pool plaza with cafe and fitness center. Our oceanfront hotel lets you unwind and cherish every moment. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Marriott, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Booking.com, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your SpringHill Suites Virginia Beach Oceanfront reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Springhill Suites Virginia Beach Oceanfront Hotel Virginia Beach
- Virginia Beach Springhill Suites