“So glad I listened to the postive reviews!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Colony Resort

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Virginia Beach
Colony Resort
You added Colony Resort to your Saves list
1301 Atlantic Ave, Virginia Beach, VA 23451 (Northeast Virginia Beach)   |
Maine
“So glad I listened to the postive reviews!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2012

This place in fantastic! We had room 1004. Our living room and master bedroom have an amazing view of the ocean. It is breathtaking. The unit is HUGE and clean. Beds are super comfy and the place is quiet. I can't find a thing to complain about!

Room Tip: Email them before you get there and ask for a room on the top floors for a great view.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Hayes, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2011

WHAT A LET DOWNNNNN. i rented unit 402 in Nov 2011.... It was georgeous and fantastic....In fact I enjoyed it so much that I bought unit 602...My week is 51 so I took some of my family there.....This unit is spacious and laid out like 402 and faces the oceanfront....We had a great week, horseback riding on the beach, rode thru the lights and just had a fantastic time.....Our let down on the unit I purchased was the carpet and the bathrooms......The carpet was gross. In fact it was so filthy we would not walk on it barefoot....The 2 bathrooms were dirty and looked as if they had not been cleaned......I sure hope the carpet will have been replaced and the unit given a good cleaning by the time I go next year. I really love the location and the activities in the area....People should not have to spend thier vacation on such nasty carpet and dirty bathrooms......Not only was the carpet dirty, but had stains all over it......Sincerely, Elizabeth Tasker Hayes, Virginia.....

Room Tip: Look at unit in advance for condition before renting or buying...Some units are excellent while othe...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2011

Our family has rented there every year for the last five years and it just gets better and better. We have stayed at other places but if size, cleanliness, location and privacy is what you are looking for than look no further. They had just updated the kitchen we stayed in, great mattress in the master bedroom...never slept better. It is located right in the middle of everything. The units are the size of apartments....matter a fact.... it is bigger than my first apartment. Our unit was spotless. The unit we ended up with was 1003 and it was georgeous. It has a fully furnished kitchen (well stocked) with washer/dryer. Flat screen tvs in living room and in both bedrooms. It is a secure building and we always feel very safe. They have a security guard all night on duty. You have to remember that this is a Time-Share not a hotel so there is not a daily towel service.... they do exchange towels twice during the week. It would be nice if the Wi-Fi was free...;0(. We love the ocean at Virginia beach, the city does an excellent job at keeping it up and clean. It is very family oriented and there is a strong police presence which makes you feel safe. Love the 2 mile long board walk. Lots of great restraunts that you can walk to.....you don't really have to use your car unless you want to.

Room Tip: We found after the years we prefer to stay in the middle units so that you can have ocean views from...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Villa Rica
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2011

The ONLY good thing about these units is the balcony that overlooks the beach! The rooms are spacious but desperately need a really good cleaning. We were very uncomfortable while there; we covered the couch and chairs in order to sit on them. Interior of the building is depressing and is in great need of an up-date. I would be sick if I owned one of their units - could be a lovely facility but suffers from neglect. You feel like you are in the "low-rent" district and the hallway on the 8th floor had an unpleasnat odor. We will never return to this resort - too many nicer ones out there!

Room Tip: Fans in both baths were so loud it was almost unbearable - couldn't turn them off without turnin...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2011

My parent's have had a timeshare here since the 70's, but I never really appreciated how great this place is until I just recently went back as an adult. The room is HUGE. A very spacious master bedroom with king bed and a 2nd bedroom with 2 full beds. Both bedrooms have a nice flatscreen tv. There's a full kitchen with dishwasher & washer/dryer, dining area and nice living room. Not to mention it is right on the beach, and has a nice sized private balcony as well. They've done a lot of improvements to the outside space since the last time I'd been there. The pool area is great and there is a huge, really nice grill down by the pool area for guests to use.
The only thing that really needs fixed up are the bathrooms. The bathrooms are clean, but defintiely rough around the edges. It looks like they haven't been updated for about 20 years. Staff was nice enough. Not overly friendly, but helpful enough. I can't wait to go back.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Williamsburg, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

If you re lucky enough to get a summer exchange  into The Colony take it!
There are only forty units all of which have their own private balcony and face the ocean.  Most of the units are still owned by the original owners who purchased them back in the seventies.  Rather then sell the units they pass them down through their family.

It is by no means luxurious but it is in a perfect location and the view is fabulous.

The units are spacious.  The two bathrooms are what I call old school with standard tub shower combination.  The vanity does have a granite top but that is about it for the upgrade.  There are no whirlpool or hot tubs on the property.

The master has a king bed and flat screen TV.  The second bedroom has two doubles.  The sheets and mattress pad will be in a plastic bag for you to make your own bed upon arrival.  This is for you to inspect the mattress for bedbugs.  This is a preventive measure.  Virginia beach is an international destination and like all major cities it can be prone to these traveling parasites.  The condo is being proactive so just suck it up and make your own bed!  Clean towels and sheets are provided twice a week if needed.  WiFi runs $20 per week.

The staff is very limited but they are responsive to your requests.  We quickly received a pac and play and fan for our unit when asked.  There are NO timeshare sale pitches.

The location of The Colony cannot be beat.  In any direction there are activities for all ages.  The fishing pier, carnival, street performers, bands, restaurants, volleyball, surfing, shopping, are all within blocks.

The ocean, boardwalk, the resort pool and the people are all within your view from your balcony, living room and master.
All day long there is a steady stream of people skating, riding bikes, jogging or taking a leisurely stroll.  In the ocean the pirate ships, fishing boats, tankers, porpoise, pairsails and swimmers are entertaining to watch.  Mid June to early October the water is pleasant.

Along with beach chairs and an umbrella I recommend bringing bikes and a cable lock.  There is a bike path that runs parallel to the boardwalk and you can cover a lot of ground quickly.

You don't need many clothes as the atmosphere in the restaurants is casual.  A sweater may be needed even on July evening if the breeze is blowing.  There is a washer and dryer in the unit.
Items you will need to bring are paper towels, dish soap and detergent.  There are hair dryers in each bathroom.

Before you do any activity or eat out check the coupon books located on every corner.  Many of the businesses offer some kind of deal.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2009

Returned from our trip at The Colony. We had a very nice time. As in other posts, the two bedroom space is larger than an apartment I once rented. They do not make you count untensils, plates, etc anymore. Because of the bed bug scare going on everywhere now, you have to inpsect you beds/ furnitures first and they left sheets, pillowcases to make the beds. Since I have never seen a bed bug a little thing I saw on a pillow took me over the edge and I called the security attendant who sent the maintenance staff right up. It was rather funny, he was very nice and looked over everything for me but it was a bed bug. We had everything we needed. I brought along extra trash bags, paper towels so I was prepared since they do not provide them. No problem. We didn't have anyone come in during the week to change out towels, there were plenty in the closet. Only thing I would suggest is for them to change from the key system to an electronic system in getting in an out of the building/rooms. They lock everything down for your security and you have a key to get into building, go to beach area and back into building. Then you have a different key to get into room. A little irritating but for the space, and what I paid through RCI it was just great. The staff was very nice. The security guards are nice. I notices some feedback that they were a pain but if you are nice to them they reciprocate. My husband had an a daily chat with them. He likes to meet people and talk about the local area. It was windy and chilly but you can't complain anytime you can sit back and listen to the ocean.

Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Colony Resort? Share your experiences!