“Unit dirty - out-dated!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Colony Resort

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Virginia Beach
Colony Resort
Save Saved
You added Colony Resort to your Saves list
1301 Atlantic Ave, Virginia Beach, VA 23451 (Northeast Virginia Beach)   |
Villa Rica
“Unit dirty - out-dated!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2011

The ONLY good thing about these units is the balcony that overlooks the beach! The rooms are spacious but desperately need a really good cleaning. We were very uncomfortable while there; we covered the couch and chairs in order to sit on them. Interior of the building is depressing and is in great need of an up-date. I would be sick if I owned one of their units - could be a lovely facility but suffers from neglect. You feel like you are in the "low-rent" district and the hallway on the 8th floor had an unpleasnat odor. We will never return to this resort - too many nicer ones out there!

Room Tip: Fans in both baths were so loud it was almost unbearable - couldn't turn them off without turnin...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2011

My parent's have had a timeshare here since the 70's, but I never really appreciated how great this place is until I just recently went back as an adult. The room is HUGE. A very spacious master bedroom with king bed and a 2nd bedroom with 2 full beds. Both bedrooms have a nice flatscreen tv. There's a full kitchen with dishwasher & washer/dryer, dining area and nice living room. Not to mention it is right on the beach, and has a nice sized private balcony as well. They've done a lot of improvements to the outside space since the last time I'd been there. The pool area is great and there is a huge, really nice grill down by the pool area for guests to use.
The only thing that really needs fixed up are the bathrooms. The bathrooms are clean, but defintiely rough around the edges. It looks like they haven't been updated for about 20 years. Staff was nice enough. Not overly friendly, but helpful enough. I can't wait to go back.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Williamsburg, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

If you re lucky enough to get a summer exchange  into The Colony take it!
There are only forty units all of which have their own private balcony and face the ocean.  Most of the units are still owned by the original owners who purchased them back in the seventies.  Rather then sell the units they pass them down through their family.

It is by no means luxurious but it is in a perfect location and the view is fabulous.

The units are spacious.  The two bathrooms are what I call old school with standard tub shower combination.  The vanity does have a granite top but that is about it for the upgrade.  There are no whirlpool or hot tubs on the property.

The master has a king bed and flat screen TV.  The second bedroom has two doubles.  The sheets and mattress pad will be in a plastic bag for you to make your own bed upon arrival.  This is for you to inspect the mattress for bedbugs.  This is a preventive measure.  Virginia beach is an international destination and like all major cities it can be prone to these traveling parasites.  The condo is being proactive so just suck it up and make your own bed!  Clean towels and sheets are provided twice a week if needed.  WiFi runs $20 per week.

The staff is very limited but they are responsive to your requests.  We quickly received a pac and play and fan for our unit when asked.  There are NO timeshare sale pitches.

The location of The Colony cannot be beat.  In any direction there are activities for all ages.  The fishing pier, carnival, street performers, bands, restaurants, volleyball, surfing, shopping, are all within blocks.

The ocean, boardwalk, the resort pool and the people are all within your view from your balcony, living room and master.
All day long there is a steady stream of people skating, riding bikes, jogging or taking a leisurely stroll.  In the ocean the pirate ships, fishing boats, tankers, porpoise, pairsails and swimmers are entertaining to watch.  Mid June to early October the water is pleasant.

Along with beach chairs and an umbrella I recommend bringing bikes and a cable lock.  There is a bike path that runs parallel to the boardwalk and you can cover a lot of ground quickly.

You don't need many clothes as the atmosphere in the restaurants is casual.  A sweater may be needed even on July evening if the breeze is blowing.  There is a washer and dryer in the unit.
Items you will need to bring are paper towels, dish soap and detergent.  There are hair dryers in each bathroom.

Before you do any activity or eat out check the coupon books located on every corner.  Many of the businesses offer some kind of deal.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2009

Returned from our trip at The Colony. We had a very nice time. As in other posts, the two bedroom space is larger than an apartment I once rented. They do not make you count untensils, plates, etc anymore. Because of the bed bug scare going on everywhere now, you have to inpsect you beds/ furnitures first and they left sheets, pillowcases to make the beds. Since I have never seen a bed bug a little thing I saw on a pillow took me over the edge and I called the security attendant who sent the maintenance staff right up. It was rather funny, he was very nice and looked over everything for me but it was a bed bug. We had everything we needed. I brought along extra trash bags, paper towels so I was prepared since they do not provide them. No problem. We didn't have anyone come in during the week to change out towels, there were plenty in the closet. Only thing I would suggest is for them to change from the key system to an electronic system in getting in an out of the building/rooms. They lock everything down for your security and you have a key to get into building, go to beach area and back into building. Then you have a different key to get into room. A little irritating but for the space, and what I paid through RCI it was just great. The staff was very nice. The security guards are nice. I notices some feedback that they were a pain but if you are nice to them they reciprocate. My husband had an a daily chat with them. He likes to meet people and talk about the local area. It was windy and chilly but you can't complain anytime you can sit back and listen to the ocean.

Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
Walton, Kentucky
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2008

We really liked the spacious rooms! The staff was very nice to us. The bathrooms could use some updating and replacing the noisey fans in each bathroom would help. We were on the 11th (top) floor. Our master suite had a walk-in closet which made it very nice to store suitcases etc. It was great to have a washer and dryer in our room too! The staff "Jessica" was great in helping us get a more updated room.

The blinds in the two bedrooms could be replaced (vertical) but I can imagine how they are abused from so many people using them. Our parking place was covered and very handy place for us to park. We would recommend The Colony but do not go there expecting you are going to walk in to a plush Penthouse it is just a very nice, clean and spacious room with a great view!

Stayed July 2008
Richmond VA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2008

A friend and I booked this property as an ‘extra vacation’ through my Time Share and based on the literature in the lobby, our rate was 50%+ savings since this property rented for over $1,000 for the week we stayed!

This property is located ocean front, only a few steps to the Boardwalk and great location for everything we needed. The condo had living, dining, galley kitchen, 2 large bedrooms, 2 full baths and balcony with plenty of seating and beautiful view. Fish Bones restaurant was right next door (good seafood) and the Raven diagonally across the street (steak & seafood). We checked in on Sunday so the office was closed but Security came out immediately and directed us to our parking space for the week right at the front door. They also provided free parking for some dinner guests later in the week at no charge. I'm sure this was a rare courtesy since parking is very limited at the property and we appreciated this gesture!

I was a little concerned when I entered the small lobby (Security desk only - office is on 2nd floor) and found that it was not air-conditioned and seemed a little dated. One elevator was out of order (and still remained broken when we checked out the following Friday) but Security assisted everyone checking in so that was no problem for us. We were in room 303 overlooking the pool on the 2nd level. This was a great location since the pool was not open but could be a noise problem in high season.

Our unit was VERY clean and stocked with everything we needed for the week with the exception of standard items that we normally have when we use our Time Share properties (paper towels, toilet tissue, soap – bath and kitchen, coffee and filters, trash bags, etc). we received information from The Colony one week prior telling us this so we took all this with us.

Housekeeping swapped out bath towels & mats and kitchen towels on Tuesday and Thursday and both times, emptied our kitchen trash. The unit appeared to have been freshly painted and new carpet installed. It appears that Security does most odd jobs around the property also so that could explain the mediocre job on both painting and carpet edging.

The office is open from 9-5 each day and it was difficult to find anyone there during any of these hours with the exception of Security. They require a $200 damage deposit upon check-in. If you arrive during off-hours, Security is unable to take a credit card and they seem to not have a system for people (such as ourselves) who are not able to get to the office during the core hours (we were there for a week long class and the hours were 9-5 also so we always left the building by 8:15 am and did not return until well after the office closed). We finally were able to work this out by leaving a personal check. The check will be mailed to me within a week after the unit is checked for damage….they normally tear up the check or credit card slip but I gave them a self-address envelop and gave them money for a stamp to return the check to me.

Overall, The Colony Resort was OK and was much cheaper and much more space than staying in a single hotel room for the week.

Stayed April 2008
Richmond, VA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2007

We stayed for a week at the Colony Resort in Virginia Beach, 1301 Atlantic, right near the pier. July 1 - 7, 2007. We paid $1050 / week, found it on EBay , rental from an owner. Normal rent during this period (July 4th week, PRIME) is $1950. You can't find it on travel sites, as you have to rent from an owner or exchange into it like via Fairfield or RCI.

The GOOD: First, let me say that the location and size of the units there are phenomenal. It is a condo complex, NOT a hotel. You get 2 bedrooms, 2 full baths with tubs, a Full Kitchen fully stocked, Huge open floor plan living room and every unit has a huge balcony facing the ocean. The units are at LEAST 1600 Square feet, HUGE closets and empty floor space. Sleep 6 comfortably! If you get a unit ending in 1 or 4, you have windows both on the street side (kitchen, bedroom) and ocean (master bedroom, living room). Units ending in 2 and 3 only have ocean views. Unit was well stocked with everything needed for a weeks stay, including nice appliances, a door buzzer for security to the lobby, kitchen wear for probably 10 people and room to actually entertain. The condo is RIGHT ON THE OCEAN, through a locked gate that each has a key to (to avoid street walk through). It has a small patio pool on the 2nd floor. And parking is at your doorstep, with an assigned spot for each unit. The front desk staff was helpful when I called to confirm, and even called me back long distance with more details. We were serenaded nightly from 8-9pm by the Legends stage right across the street. Sounds great huh?

The BAD: The Units furnishings are a little dated and mismatched, looking like the 80's maybe. Everything worked in the unit, but some signs of wear and age like chipped floor tiles or countertops, tub scratches, blinds broken or bent that kept them from being closed. No biggies but kind of ragged around the edges.

We had bigger issues in several areas. Due to some confusion with the day security guard, we were not assigned one of 10 coveted guest parking spaces, even when we asked, so later that week when our guests arrived, we had to pay $25 a day for them to park a block away! Parking is VERY tight. And depending on who you ask, you may or may not get the same story. We were told to park in a guest spot by one person, only to be told later that that spot was taken and having an angry guest who had that spot assigned to them yell at us and block us in. Our guest also had a ticket on his vehicle for parking there.

We had some security issues on different days, and despite calls and VISITS down to the lobby area, the night security guard was never located. One was an incident of firecrackers from above floor balcony landing on our balcony. Another was teenagers jumping the fence at beach edge into the complex and trying to enter the building / use the pool. We watched them from the balcony. We called down to security, then WENT down to security desk, but no one was there. About 90% of the time, there is a sign up that he will be back in 15 minutes, making rounds, but we couldn't find him, even walking AROUND the building (which is very small) and going down several times in an hour. He must have a GOOD hiding spot! We did find him in the lobby ONE night, and asked about getting another trash bag. He never made eye contact and told us to talk to housekeeping in the morning, not his problem.

The hallways are very dark and at busy times, the elevators are very slow. I would recommend checking out a day early on Friday as Saturday is a total CLUSTER. I ended up walking 6 floors up and down twice with a 19 month old in one arm and luggage in another because people take the luggage carts from the lobby on Friday and hide them in their room so no one else can use them, and every time the elevator finally stopped on my floor, it was packed already with people who were crammed in there and annoyed it kept stopping at every floor. We asked about getting a cart and was told to just wait, and that Hey checkout is only in a few hours, one will become available. I thought that was a joke! After all, if we wait much longer we will get FINED for checking out late AND get our car towed. However, on a good note, the "Russian Guy" (sorry didn't get his name) did go from floor to floor looking for a cart for us, as he passed my Husband in the halls doing the same thing! Thanks!

Another issue we had is you can sleep 6 people, but you only get 2 keys no matter what, even to the gate that lets you out to the beach. So everyone has to coordinate who is going where based on the 2 keys. This is fine if it is mom and dad and 4 little kids. However, you throw a grandma or a teenager or two in the mix and you won't find consensus and someone has to go somewhere they don't want to go. We did find that you can walk all the way around the building to the street and in the lobby in an emergency and get buzzed into your unit if someone is up there to let you in.

The resort is very unfriendly feeling, with the types of signs up everywhere, and in your check-in packet. Nowhere really a welcome, and NO activities. Just flyers like DONT let your kids push the elevator buttons, DONT leave the light burning on the range hood, DONT put potatoes peels in the garbage disposal, DONT etc. Make sure you clean up your spills in the refrigerator. FINES for not doing so. And if you leave that light on over the range, and the circuit board blows (again) they have the price posted on a sticker on it for you, which I guess they expect you to pay.

The worst of the worst though, was checkout procedures. I have stayed at probably TWO DOZEN RCI resorts, ranging from Gold Crown to more modest types. And we always have no problem following recommendations, check-out steps. However, this resort has a very long list of what must go where by what time and a 10 AM check out with a FINE for not meeting it.

I have never stayed anywhere where it was MY problem to not just start the dishwasher, but to wash all the dishes and get them back in the cabinets by 10am. So much for breakfast or coffee. The cleaning crew can't be bothered by putting them away, they have other rooms to get to. IT ACTUALLY SAYS THIS IN THE BOOK, and recommends getting up earlier and planning breakfast earlier. Our solution, run the dishwasher the night before, hand wash all dishes for the rest of the evening and morning, and hit the breakfast buffet after checkout! My stomach can growl til 10am, and kids you really ARENT HUNGRY! Here sit on the balcony and eat a granola bar, we can't use our full kitchen.

The feel of the place is very cheap, nickel and dime savings that cost in the long run. They gave us one Ziploc baggie of dishwashing detergent to use, for the last load no doubt. No extra paper towels which were 1 ply, ditto for the Toilet Paper., one extra roll in one bathroom. We bought more at the grocery store.

I also found it totally disgusting that they did not ask for the mattress pad or comforter to be put with the other linens in the foyer area, and based on the urine and blood stains I found when I pulled my sheets off, I know this is probably the case MOST of the time! My pillows were covered in dark black long hairs, blood spots, brown and yellow unknown stains. The mattress pad was worse. However, the book for checkout says do NOT pull the mattress pad off and put with linens. I ended up washing my sheets mid week just because they felt sandy and gross. But I realized they weren't sandy, just so pilled that they FELT like sandpaper.

I know the sand is a problem at any beach resort. But there was sand at least 1" thick in places in this condo. There was a shelf to hold the dryer (stackable) and it was covered, and right at eye level so I'm not sure how a housekeeper could miss it! We found feathers on the floor in the bathroom and more and more of that long black hair. We have short blond hair (me) shorter blond hair (children) and no hair (husband). We swept the floor in the kitchen and hallway and ran the sweeper (restaurant type, NOT electric) several times to pick up the sand. Every unit needs its own shop vac!

We were met with resistance, and slight attitudes but not open rudeness, on several occasions. The attitude of the staff seems to be that the resort maintains itself, and the guests have to either do their part or wait. The front desk is open VERY MINIMAL hours each day. Cleaning staff does a walk through 1 or 2 x a week for towel exchange. Otherwise, you are ON YOUR OWN, with problems, questions etc. You don't even see anyone to ask and despite their directions to call this number or that number, the numbers don't answer and don't have voicemail.

And for the small number of guests at a time (~36 units) they really could be more accommodating and treat you like a person and not a number. I went downstairs to check out when I had a moment, to give her back the keys, while my DH took the last loads out to the car. The Mgr on duty seemed annoyed that we had not vacated the unit yet (9:05am) and refused to even begin the checkout process until all our stuff and people were out of the unit and the cleaning staff could get in it. She actually sent me away to go get this done. As I got upstairs, I found the phone ringing, and it was the same manager, calling to remind me it was checkout time? No Kidding!

The entire time I was there, I did not feel like a GUEST at all. I felt like I was staying at a friend of a friend's condo or apartment and that I wasn't supposed to be there and that I better have everything just like it was by the time I left. Like they were doing me a FAVOR letting me stay there. The checkout book lamented how hard it is to get an entire condo complex ready in 6 hours, from 10am checkout to 4pm check in on Saturday. So, on my feedback form I made the recommendation that they buy duplicate bedding and towel sets for about 75% of the units, so they don't have to wash everything THAT day, and they can be dropped of at the door on Saturday morning. Also, splitting the units up into Friday, Saturday and Sunday checkouts would prevent the mad rush for parking spaces, elevators, carts, and to get everything clean and allow both housekeeping and "guests" to relax.

We did not enjoy staying somewhere where the attitude was that they couldn't be bothered to help me or if they did, they had gone out of their way. I had to solve my issues on my own, including dumping my full trash bag by shaking it out into the dumpster I found out back in the dark so I could keep the dirty bag one more day, and even going up 2 floors to yell at other guests with fireworks. That shouldn't be my problem when I am on vacation.

So, consider all when visiting. The unit and location are beyond ideal, especially for a family. But be prepared to rough it for service or assistance during your stay. We don't expect 5 stars or a concierge, but someone on-site would be nice. And a total review of housekeeping procedures and a few attitude adjustments are in order.

Been to Colony Resort? Share your experiences!