“Rip off!” 1 of 5 stars

Dining options: Late Night
Chesapeake, Virginia
“Rip off!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2013 via mobile

Bought a groupon to try this place. The food was okay. I had the mofongo. I was so excited to have authentic Puertorican food and was very disappointed with my dry mofongo. I also had cheese flan for dessert which tasted like plain vanilla flan. The prices are inflated. Our bill was $14.00 which included two drinks and an $8 tip!!! Our tip was taxed!! Our meal was suppose to be free. We ended up spending almost $50 for our lunch with the groupon! Don't buy the groupon! I wouldn't go back.

• Visited November 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Norfolk, Virginia
“Don't waste your time”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

We purchased a groupon for this and as the other reviewers had stated you need to check your bill. Sure enough it was inflated with,20% gratuity, tax on the whole value. Two teas with groupon cost us 17.00. Manger was augmentative. As for the food, very bland no flavor at all with either of our meals. There are do many other good places to go avoid this one

• Visited August 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Norfolk, Virginia, United States
“Good, Authentic food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

I was pleasantly surprised with my first experience @ El Rincon. I had read the reviews of others, but I experienced no odd billing practices or charges that were not appropriate. The staff are very friendly and knowledgeable. The food is fabulous. It was just like the meals I experienced at my Friend's home when visiting PR. I have returned several times for lunch as this location is very near my office. I enjoyed the Cuban, but my favorite remains the pernil.

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Billing is ridiculous!!!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013 via mobile

I like a previous person bought a groupon for me and my wife to have a good dinner. The food and service was great. Ordered 4 margaritas since the food was free so why not....right. Got the bill and for 4 margaritas our bill was $47 which included a $12 gratuity for two people and damn near $7 in tax....so they def got there money back for the groupon. Food was good but will def go to Da Rican Chef next time i want puerto rican food!!!!!!

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Virginia Beach, Virginia
“Good food but service and billing practices lacking”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013 via mobile

Purchased a groupon and since there was high ratings on Yelp, decided to give it a try. First of all, food was good. I wasn't over the moon with mine but it had nice flavors (I had the Bistec encebollado). My husband LOVED his meal (carne fritz de cerdo) and would return to this establishment had it not been for the rest of our experience. The service was SLOW. It took forever to get our food. Maybe it was a Monday and they didn't anticipate the "groupon traffic"? I don't know. All I know is that the waitress was cleaning the table next to us, folding napkins, and working behind the bar... It seems she was doing everything BUT refilling our drinks and asking how we were doing. What made things worse was, the automatically added gratuity for a party of two and then taxed gratuity!!! Does anyone else find this strange? Probably won't come back.