“Where do I start?” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Sun and Sand Hotel

You added Sun and Sand Hotel to your Saves list
Sun and Sand Hotel
1.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1719 Atlantic Ave, intersection of 18th Street, Virginia Beach, VA 23451   |
Ranked #107 of 114 Hotels in Virginia Beach
New Britain, Connecticut
“Where do I start?”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Ok, I stayed here YEARS ago, when it was the "Tropicana" back then the photos were fake. As I see, that has not changed. The rooms are absolutely different rooms. I recently was in VB and wanted to see if anything had changed...nope. Pool is still filthy, same dumpy rooms, just a new name. That is LITERALLY the only thing that has changed. If you read these reviews, and still stay there, you're brave. It needs to be torn down and made into a parknglot, or a new property, but at this point, for what a remodel would cost, it'd be almost easier to build brand new.

Room Tip: They don't exisist.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Brooklyn, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2014

I stayed here, or attempted to stay here in October 2007 when it was called the Tropicana "Resort". I cannot tell you that there is extreme disappointment at the reviews I am reading. Seems like deja vu. I was in town a few weeks ago an decided to see if after all of the terrible reviews over the years the hotel owners maybe decided to do something about the poor horrid conditions and cess pool of a hotel. I said it then and I will say it now after reading the reviews below and seeing it for myself. This hotel does not need new management or a new cleaning staff. It needs a wrecking ball. For those of you looking for a hotel, especailly couples with children, please do not stay here. I am still disgusted and this place is still disgusting. This place will ruin your vacation. It is nothing like the online brochure. It wasn't then and it isn't now. Try the Holiday Inn down the road. At least you won't have to take penicillin or Cipro after staying at the Holiday Inn.

Room Tip: Choose a good room? Stay at a different hotel.
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled with family
Roanoke, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2014 via mobile

We needed a quick getaway from reality and this hotel was on point. Loved the upgrade to oceanfront view without an added cost. Truly appreciate the staff making changes to compliment our plans. Only concerns i would pick at is parking being a block away and had to leave cooler in car. Also, the heat in the room blew cool air. Best time to travel is off season, but ask for extra blankets at check in.

• Stayed October 2014
Uniontown, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2014

Best value on boardwalk by far. Room was clean, nice view of ocean. Close to everything, park your car there an walk, everything is close. Staff was friendly, especially Nena was great, made me feel at home.

Room Tip: Had an enjoyable weekend.
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple
Winston-Salem, North Carolina, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2014

DO NOT BE FOOLED BY THE FACT THAT THIS HOTEL IS SITUATED RIGHT BY THE PIER. IT IS NOT WORTH IT. We took a last minute trip to Virginia Beach, it was our first time there and I thought the price was good for the location. WRONG. While waiting in the lobby to check in, we heard a family complaining to reception about the number of roaches and other bugs in the room. As soon as they walked out, the manager started making fun of the guests, stating "well they paid $60 for a room through Expedia, what did they expect?!" RUDE. Even worse, we had just paid $219 for same room type! My husband had some concerns from the moment we pulled in and saw their pool...FULL OF DIRT all over the bottom. It was completely gross and barely 11am so it's not like it was dirt residue from the vacationers. We heard some families outside talking about how awful their rooms where, and decided not to even check in anymore. I called to cancel the room since they claimed to have a no cancellation fee...which they did not BUT they still insisted on charging me the full $219 because it is their policy to charge for one night's stay in case of a cancellation...and we were only staying one night...the manager refused to waive the fee and said she did not care if I posted a review of the hotel and then hung up on me. We ended up staying at the Holiday Inn North Beach which I highly recommend! The staff was friendly and even gave us a better rate than the Sun and Sand. That Holiday Inn was perfect for us, with things for adults (bar) and kids (pools, lazy rivers, water slides) and even a movie theater with good movies (line up included Remember the Titans and Lion King) and a classroom/childcare room that looked better than some day care classrooms! They even had a pet turtle walking around! We didn't mind not one bit losing our money to Sun and Sand at that point! That's how worthless that hotel seemed to us in the end.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2014

My husband and I decided to visit for the weekend to help celebrate my aunt's birthday. It was a last minute trip so many hotels had no vacancies or had a 3 or 4 day minimum stay. We looked at pictures online and spoke to a staff member from the hotel. The pictures looked pretty nice & the staff assured us that the hotel was "nice, neat, and clean." We arrive & it was a nightmare. The pictures had to have been taken a different hotel. The room was smelly, dirty, had mold, excessive paint chippings, dead bugs, dirty carpet, and very dim lighting. When asked if an upgrade was available, we were told that we could pay extra to upgrade to the 7th floor to a "jacuzzi suite," but was also informed that the jacuzzi was not in working order. This hotel seriously should be condemned. We immediately wanted to check out & were told that we would not get any portion of a refund. At that point, we did not even care about the money. We were more concerned with our health. So we left 15min after check-in.

Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple
Canaan, New Hampshire
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2014 via mobile

My wife and i called this place and asked how the rooms were. We were tol they were very nice,at 325.00 for the nite i expected something very nice..boy was i surprized and horrified when we got to our room,dead bugs on the floor holes in the ceiling. Do not believe these people when you speak to them...worst sh%thole hotel EVER!!!!!

• Stayed September 2014

Been to Sun and Sand Hotel? Share your experiences!