“the perfect place for us!” 5 of 5 stars

Cerca Del Mar
410 21st Street, Virginia Beach, VA (Northeast Virginia Beach)   |
Ranked #81 of 114 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Harrisburg, Pa
“the perfect place for us!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2010

My boyfriend and I set out to find an affordable efficiency close to the beach for a few days. After looking over several travel planners and TripAdvisor, we were both drawn to Cerca Del Mar. Due to some of the negative reviews on TripAdvisor we were cautious and made 3 different phone calls to the hotel with questions (availability, parking, housekeeping, kitchen details, etc). We were pleased with the staff and their answers, so we decided to go with our guts and booked a Sat - Wed trip in one of their deluxe suites. We are SO GLAD we did!!!

I called ~1030am on the day of our arrival to see if we could park at the hotel even though it was hours before we were due to check in. I was super surprised that not only were we able to park, but they also checked the reservation name and told us we could check in as soon as we got there at ~11am!

We are both fairly picky about our cars and where we park them. The main hotel lot is a little cramped for our style (all angled spaces) so we went to the adjacent lot, just across the back street, which was roomy and well lit. We had no worries that our car would be safe.

The room was huge! It wasn't fancy, but had everything we needed plus some!! It was arguably a 5 room suite with living area with dining table, galley-ish kitchen with stove, sink, and fridge, bedroom with King bed and a Double, a large closet / changing room with lights and mirrors, and the bathroom. The hotel does show it's age, it's a little rough around the edges, but does appear to be taken care of. The quality of the towels wasn't fantastic, but after seeing how many people had obvious hotel towels on the beach, we couldn't find fault with the hotel.

The staff were always pleasant and friendly. Our room was cleaned daily and fresh towels were provided each day as well. Housekeeping even stopped us the one day to explain they had not made the bed because there were pjs left laying on it and they're not permitted to touch any personal items (I believe she said it's VA law?). We weren't worried with the bed, but greatly appreciated her attention to detail and thought to explain to us.

I highly recommend staying here if you're vacationing on a budget and don't mind a few block walk to the beach. We were very pleased with every aspect of our stay. Everything I described was $149 for Sat night, and $89 every other night. Do be sure to ask questions though. My understanding is that under VA law, they cannot provide utensils and dishes unless there is a dishwasher in the room.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2010

Our stay was very pleasant. The staff was unbelievability nice. Our housekeeper, Ruby, was fantastic. All of the front desk was very nice. The motel is older, but for the cost and location it was well worth it . Huge rooms, kitchenettes were wonderful. Being a diabetic the refrigerators were diffidently a plus. The internet was a bit of a problem, but the motel was full and I'm sure there were a lot of people on it. Which I'm sure that was the problem. A suggestion to the owners, think about upgrading the connection points in the motel, more users can access it.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
lanham,md
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2010

beware this place has bedbugs. I stayed there last tuesday and I got bit 26 times in one night.the customer service is horrible,the elevator sucks, and the staff are ignorant.my father got charged twice for one room. you might as well stay at the castle motel it is cheaper and closer to the beach.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Lorton, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2010

I was there with my family for the summer, while my mother slept on the bed me and my friend would stay up to watch movies in the living room on the so called bed couch they have. while we opened up the couch and placed a white sheet on top of it we noticed bright red bed bugs crawling all over the place we could believe our eyes! it was horrifying! afriad to even touch it we folded it back in and placed a huge blanket on the couch and sat on the couch. the next day i discovered RED ITCHY patches ALLLLLLLLLL OVER my skin from head to toe it is HORRIBLE AND UNFAIR especialy if your staying weekends you pay about 300 dollars for two days and still face this unsterilized experience. The bathrooms are peeled the doors dont close. We had to spend on night with an unlocked door after hearing about a lady who could of possibly been found dead in the motel after a fight that had occured, another person that was also staying there complained about a lack of security. When you enter the room it STINKS hard smell of tobacco the smell is invested everywhere. We asked for an extra blanket to place on top of the couch filled with bugs and it smelled so bad none of us could sit there on it. They claim to have FREE wifi BUT YOU CAN nevER GET IT you have to stand outside if your lucky. the only good thing about this hotel is the location. Please becarful it can cause you your health!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Quebec City, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2010

It's my third visit in Virginia Beach but in august 2009, it's my first visit at this hotel.

I rent the deluxe suite and for 89$/days. It's look like a small appartement. I had 1 bedroom (2 beds) and 1 kitchen+living room. The bedroom is separate from the living room. It's wonderful when the kid wakeup very early.

At my first visit in 2003 I rent a Suite at the Viking Motel, same thing at the Sundial in 2007. I prefer the Cerca Del Mar because the bedroom and the living room are separate. It's not a castle but it's perfect for my budget. For the same price, I can stay 2-3 more nights.

Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Southern Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2010

Room was NOT clean. Daughter's feet were black from carpet. Shower was peeling. No shampoo, coffee pot, dishes or pots/pans in kitchenette. Refrigerator balmy 40 something degrees. Toilet might flush 1 of 3 tries. Asked for clean towels and sheets for hide-a-bed (there were none when we arrived) after first night and was told that if we read our contract, we would see that they only clean rooms on Monday and provide fresh towels and linens at that time (contrary to the statement on their own website that their "courteous and friendly housekeeping staff provides daily linen service"). Of course, the website also refers to the rooms as fully furnished and well-appointed. Did I mention no coffee pot? Ran out of toilet paper on day 3 and was given the same response that our contract would inform us that they do not provide paper products. Also agree with previous reviewer that towels are probably not fit to replace toilet tissue, but couldn't have more towels anyway so can't be sure. I have never experienced such a lack of amenities or service in a lodging establishment. Also found marijuana in drawer in bedroom despite prolific signs referring to the drug free policy. Overall, very disappointing experience. Didn't find any dead hookers, but we did find an earring that looked like it might have come from one.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family
USA/Brazil
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2009

Me and my wife spent a couple of days there and what a disappointment! When we first arrived at our room, my wife noticed the electricity lines coming out of the lights in the bathroom and big holes on the ceiling. There was a tv in the room only for decoration, it didn't work. The walls were in bad shape and so was the carpet. We did not use the kitchen because everything in there was really disgusting. I called the front desk to negotiate moving to another room and was told: "What do you expect, you are close to the beach!" Terrible customer service. At night the parking lot is creepy. We were always afraid the car wouldn't be there the next morning. If a building inspector ever goes there I'm sure the place would be shut down.

• Stayed June 2006, traveled as a couple

Been to Cerca Del Mar? Share your experiences!