“Very Nice Location, Welcoming Staff” 4 of 5 stars

Cutty Sark Efficiency Motel
3614 Atlantic Avenue, Virginia Beach, VA 23451   |
Ranked #66 of 114 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Richmond, Virginia, United States
“Very Nice Location, Welcoming Staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

I stayed here this past weekend and it was much nicer than I expected. The room was a good size and clean once we got in. Originally I was told that there wasn't a room with a balcony available but once I came to check in, we were given room 2. Even though there was a condo in front of us, I still think that it was a nice view of the beach. The gentleman at the front desk was very nice and inviting. There wasn't any issues like I'd read on here previously. I will definitely return to this efficiency when I visit VA Beach again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
MsJAKoch, Manager at Cutty Sark Efficiency Motel, responded to this review, September 28, 2012
Your kind words mean a lot to us. We appreciate the time you gave to write the review. We are
glad you enjoyed your time with us and hope that you will come again soon. Kindest regards.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Front Royal, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

We will definitley be back!! Perfect for families on a budget! Great location too! Right next to the beach, but not smack in the middle of all of the crowds. But not too far away either. We had the perfect (budget friendly) vacation!!!!! Next time we would like to check out one of their cottages!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Hiram, Georgia, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2012

We stayed here for a week. Had to clean the place thoroughly before we stayed, had pubic hair on our towels EVERYDAY, had holes in our covers, the fridge was rusty, the tv was a tube tv and did not have HBO as advertised. Was told to sweep the floor by the owner b/c my kids spilt chip crumbs. My inlaws from the area came to change into swim clothes for the beach and was I was told we weren't aloud to have visitors and needed to pay $10 each for them!! Was told that we were a distraction to other guests b/c of my kids and us washing clothes. The pool was outside of our window so we heard Every conversation out there! Was the worst Experience ever and the owner is rude as crap! Will never ever think about staying here again and will NEVER recommend it! The only nice thing about this place was the Man in the front office!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
, Owner at Cutty Sark Efficiency Motel, responded to this review, July 6, 2012
I do apologize. I do get upset when our hospitality is taken advantage of. When we register two adults and their two children into one of our efficiencies, that is the exact number of persons we expect to use our facilities. When there is a disturbance and we find more than twice that number of people in one room, using our facilities as a bath house for the day and in the pool, I do get upset. When we find food all over the floor being ground into our new carpet by all those people on it, I do get upset. Instead of getting upset, I should have called a professional cleaning service to clean it up and had the guest pay for it. Our staff works very hard to keep our little hotel clean and welcoming. They are not expecting this sort of abuse to the rooms they care for. But, I should not have gotten upset. The conversations by the pool, that is something we will work on. Many guests request that room because it is so close and convienient to the pool. However, I can see where it could be a problem for others.
Kill Devil Hills, North Carolina, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2012

Stumbled upon this place and was so verry glad we did. Quaint and affordable. It was a walk back in time, and I truly enjoyed the experience. The room was immaculate, the view of the ocean spectacular, our hosts were so sweet. We would recommend this place to anyone looking for a place to stay in Va. Beach. It is on the "quiet" end of the "strip", but it is just a quick ride to everything. The retro mini kitchen was adorable with everything we needed, just wish we were there for more than an overnight stay. Can't wait till we can get back again for a stay!!!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
We really appreciate your time in wrting this review. Our staff looks forward to reading the
reviews and it keeps them motivated to try even harder to have this little resort a kind and friendly
place in the memories of our visitors. Please come again
York, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2012

May 30 - June 3

I vacationed at Cutty Sark back in 1997 with my family when I was younger. We stayed in the Cottage on the Corner of Atlantic and 37th St., definitely a vacation to remember and thought it was worth revisiting. This time we decided to stay in a Efficiency Room because it was just 2 of us. The room was perfect for what we needed. We decided to cook rather then dine out each day, which saved us so much money! Everything was so close and within walking distance, the car didn't move from our spot the whole stay. The Air Show was amazing to watch we were entertained each day. Overall was a great time and we will visit back soon! :)

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for writing about your visit recent to the Cutty Sark. We were glad you still remember us from when you were young with your parents. We have seen a lot of children grow up over the over 34 years we have been here. It was a great pleasure to have you with us again Please come again soon.
Kindest regards.
Frederick, MD
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2012

June 1-3, 2012

My husband and I wanted to get away for a looong weekend and we happened to come across "Cutty Sark" during our Google search for places to stay. Right away we knew the location of the efficiencies were right on point of where we wanted to be located. You gotta love this place for the location alone-we were steps away from the beach, shoppes and so on; The Cutty Sark is situated right on the main strip of Atlantic Avenue off 37th Ave which is MUCH MORE quieter than farther up around 19-25th Avenues-which can be a nightmare (traffic-wise) with all the bars, restaurants and late night activity. The room we rented was quaint, clean and had everything the two of us needed during our stay. The bed was extremely comfortable and the balcony provided extra relaxation to just hang out and talk. Our visit was very quiet and comfortable - even the cleaning lady, (who's name I can't remememer now) was very courteous and accomodating. We hardly used the little kitchenette, but it was great to know we had the option to prepare a meal right in our room rather than go out to a restaurant. The bathroom was basic, yet very functional.

Before departing, one guest (who had checked out) asked my husband and I how we liked the room and while we were ecstatic and pleasee withy our accomodations, this guests responded that they were dissappointed and the building was too old and nothing was like what was expected based on the internet pictures and such. Well, you know what I say to that? If you're looking for a Five-Star Hotel then that's what you should book and stick with. Cutty Sark is priced competitively, but you get so much more for the money and I agree with the poster, WendyZT - this place is "intimate" and that's what we were looking for. The stay was a great experience and this is definitely on our list of favorite spots to stay in VA Beach. This a "Mom & Pop" family run business, so please support them-especially in this economy, where we're seeing a lot of the family businesses taking a dive up against bigger hotel franchises.

I would recommend th Cutty Sark to anyone (friends, family, etc) on a budget! We're pretty basic easy- going folks, so this place met, if not exceeded our expectations. Vacationers - book this place as fast as you can!! Cudos to the Koch Family and thanks for an awesome and restful weekend-we'll be back soon with the rest of the family!

Mr. and Mrs. Patton

Room Tip: Try to get one of the efficiency rooms with a balcony- the views are perfect
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
You are just too kind. Your review matters to us. Kind words make us try all the harder to please. I share you message with our staff. Do come again.
Hudson, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2012

This is a real little gem of a hotel/motel. If you're used to luxury accomodations, this might not suit you, but if you enjoy something a bit more intimate, this is the place. Mrs. Koch and Jerry were great hosts, our room was clean and had all the appliances and dishes necessary for a comfortable stay of a week (wish it was longer!). The room was a great size for us and our two teenagers and the location was amazing, the best on the beach (the north end is quieter than the south end). From our balcony, we had a spectacular view of sunrise over the ocean, something you're not guaranteed when you stay at a huge hotel. It was so convenient to be able to park right beside the building and walk up a few outside steps to our room rather than traipsing through a hotel lobby in a bathing suit! The beach and boardwalk are just a few steps away. The Cutty Sark is not fancy, but it offers true value for money and really lets you take in the charm of Virginia Beach. We'd love to go back!

Room Tip: A large family might choose to stay in one of the Cutty Sark's historic cottages. There are sep...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Thank you so much for your review of our intimate little Hotel.You kind words warm my heart. I'll see that all our staff see's your review. We hope you will come again soon. Kindest regards.

Been to Cutty Sark Efficiency Motel? Share your experiences!