“Good Place for a Nice Dinner” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Terrapin Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #8 of 1,255 Restaurants in Virginia Beach
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romance, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Dessert
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 32nd Street & Holly Road
Chesapeake, Virginia
“Good Place for a Nice Dinner”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2010

We have been meaning to try Terrapin for awhile, and we finally did during Restaurant Week. I'm glad we did. The food was very good, and I was impressed by all the little details done right, like the freshly baked bread with fresh herbs and the coffee delivered in a coffee press. Our service was also very good, and we appreciate that they serve a lot of good local foods. My only complaint was the layout of the seating. Our table was up against a long booth, and we felt like we were right on top of the people next to us and couldn't have a private conversation. With that said though, we were still very happy with our meal and would definitely go back.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

washington, dc
“not worth it”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2009

high prices, small portion, undercooked chicken, and average service.terrapin is simply overrated.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
chesapeake, va
“not worth the ride”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2009

the food was overpriced. the portions were small. we waited a long time for our food.
the food taste average not worth the 30 mile ride from chesapeake.

virginia beach, va
“First impressions are everything, we didn't even get seated!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2009

We arrived at Terrapin after reading wonderfull reviews on trip advisor. We made reservations online (as the restaurant was not open), I recieved a confirmation via email and was excited to take my wife, as I am in the Navy and was leaving on deployment. When we arrived the hostess could not find our reservation, asked me serveral times if I had put it under "any other name" and then talked to the owner. I had a confirmation number from my reservation, but was told my reservation ended up for the following night and that there was nothing they could do. The offered to let me wait to see if anyone would cancel, but the wait could be up to 45 minutes with no promise of a seat; also we couldn't even sit at the bar. We left embarrased and feeling unwelcomed and will NOT return. We typically dine at high end restaurants at least twice weekly and this one does not fit the bill and will not recommend to anyone, good food is only as good as the service.

Waverly, Ohio
“our only choice for date night from now on!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2009

We ate at the Terrapin for the 2nd time on July 12,2009. My husband and I were celebrating our 2nd anniversary. When my husband made the reservations, he mentioned it was our anniversary. They went out of their way to make it very special for us, including personalized menus to take home with us as a momento. Every staff member that waited on us made a point to say "Happy Anniversary". Food was just as great as it was the first time, we got the tasting menu both times. The waiters are very knowledgeable & aren't pushy. The atmosphere is quiet & romantic, you can dress up as much as you want or go in business-casual (I wouldn't wear jeans) It's never been crowded, but very impressive each time we went. This is now our go-to place when we want a night out! Best kept secret in Va Beach!!!!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere