“great bartender- amazing food” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Terrapin Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #6 of 1,272 Restaurants in Virginia Beach
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: American
Good for: Entertaining clients, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Dessert, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 32nd Street & Holly Road
Fishkill, New York
“great bartender- amazing food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

The hostess wasn't too nice when we mentioned that we didn't have a reservation, but suggested we sit at the bar. (throughout the evening we noticed several empty tables that never got filled-so 1 star for the "hotess without the mostess" That being said, she probably did us a favor. Our bartender was gracious, informative and extremely professional. Our cocktails were perfect- and the only proper cocktails we were served while vacationing at Virginia Beach. The food was delicious and the menu very innovative and appetizing. The oysters were the best we've had and ALL of the food was well prepared an tasty. A great night...

• Visited August 2013

Hyattsville, Maryland
“Loved Terrapin”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

Fantastic eats and definitely for the foodie. The restaurant is walking distance from North Beach. Food was great, I had the scallops and my husband had the bouillabaisse and both were excellent. They have a four course tasting menu, but unfortunately we didn't have the appetite for it, but we will do that next time. The wait staff was very good and personable. The decor is nice and tasteful. The Chef is the owner and it shows. When we came in the door, he actually greeted us from the kitchen. Very cool. This was by far the best meal we ate at VA Beach. Oh - also, we thought it was a very good value. Terrapin, thanks for a wonderful evening.

Visited September 2013
Chesapeake, Virginia
“Loved it!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

I made my reservation for our first anniversary here based on the awesome reviews & I must say that Terrapin didn't disappoint. Service was spectacular! The food was creative, fresh and delicious. We did the 4-course tasting menu with the wine pairings & our food came out promptly. My husband loved the steak! It was the best he had ever had. My lobster pasta was magnificent. I don't have enough characters to go into detail about all 8 courses so I will just mention my favs. The Watermelon Gazpacho was refreshing, & stimulating to all of my tastebuds. The Fried Green Tomato was amazing as well. My highlight was the Australian Moscato & my S'mores dessert- an all-grown-up version of a classic. Wow. This Chef really knows what he is doing!

• Visited August 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
bdw10868, Owner at Terrapin Restaurant, responded to this review, September 3, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review us. We are glad you had a great anniversary meal and look forward to serving you again.

Cheers,
The Terrapin staff
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Superb cuisine, service, and memories!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

Friends and I went on a group vacation to Virginia Beach and decided to spend one night going out to dinner (my anniversary with my husband, as well as two birthdays, flanked the week of our trip). We made a same-day reservation for ten people at 8:30 on a Wednesday night...and in spite of being the last group in the restaurant that night, we were treated to excellent service and a fantastic meal.

Many of us chose the four-course tasting menu with wine pairings, which includes smaller portions of one item from each course on the menu and turned out to be a great value. Everything we ate was just superb, and our server Shayley (that's probably not spelled correctly) did a wonderful job of explaining everything and catering to our needs. Our group had a number of allergies, including dairy, which the chef as able to accommodate with ease (even for dessert - I would highly recommend the s'mores with bourbon-soaked marshmallows!). Overall, eating at Terrapin was a top-notch experience that contributed great memories to a long-standing summer tradition with friends.

Visited August 2013
New York City, New York
“Very nice, relaxed, great service & wonderful food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

We went for a special birthday treat, and while not inexpensive, the portions are just right, the duck was perfect and my steak was beautifully done - so it's very much worth its price. And, the bottle of wine we ordered was lovely and had discount for the evening, so it made it extra nice.

The service is top notch, and really the only note was that the bread was sourdough...which is always a puzzle to me as it really takes over the flavor of any cheese or beautiful butter you may want to taste. We voiced our 'bread concerns' to our server and she found a house made brioche - which was a great alternative.

When it came time for a little candle on a dessert - I'd arranged that with our wonderful server earlier - we couldn't find one we wanted so it was not to be. Our server didn't want to spoil our fun and presented the candles - lit! - on a plate for the birthday boy. An extra special touch that is not to be forgotten.

Terrapin is only a few blocks from the beach and a world apart - a lovely experience, great service, fab food and a really good atmosphere.

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
bdw10868, Owner at Terrapin Restaurant, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review Terrapin. We are thrilled you had a great experience. We look forward to serving you again in the near future.

The Terrapion Staff