“Central location and Comfortable” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Candlewood Suites Virginia Beach / Norfolk

You added Candlewood Suites Virginia Beach / Norfolk to your Saves list
Candlewood Suites Virginia Beach / Norfolk
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   4437 Bonney Rd, Virginia Beach, VA 23462 (Northwest Virginia Beach)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #65 of 114 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Portland, Oregon
“Central location and Comfortable”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014

This was not a vacation. Stayed 4 nights while in the area taking care of unplanned family medical issues of my Grandparent. The hotel was clean and easy to reach. It was helpful having the kitchenette to bring in our food and prepare our own meals. The kitchen dishes and cookware were all adequate. Full size refrigerator is GREAT. The internet was reliable. Beds were comfortable and the room was clean. This is my 4th or 5th time staying here and I would stay again. Staff was friendly and upbeat.

Room Tip: I have stayed on both sides and I seldom heard noise from outside. I liked the 3rd floor. The water...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Brian_CWSVB, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Virginia Beach / Norfolk, responded to this review, July 19, 2014
nbnpdx,

Myself and the Team here and Candlewood Suites Virginia beach would like to thank you for your most recent stay. We are glad that you were pleased with your accommodation's and all the amenities that we had to offer. hopefully the next time you are in the area it is for happy reasons and you get to take advantage of all the great things that Virginia Beach has to offer. Again thank you for the review and we hope your grandparents are doing better.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

This was our first time staying at the hotel, & it was phenomenal! The staff was extremely friendly & helpful. The place was clean & somewhat upscale.
We loved the bathroom! It was not like a typical hotel bathroom where u have to close the door to go into the bathroom. The toilet was beside the sink/counter. It was very spacious. Only about15 min from the beach & literally 1/3 of the price of beachside rooms.
Overall, great stay! Would definitely recommend it & will stay again next year.

Stayed July 2014
Mandy H,

Myself and my Team are glad you had a phenomenal time on you most recent visit to the Candlewood Suites Virginia Beach and we look forward to seeing you next year.
Mebane, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

My family and I enjoyed a spontaneous weekend trip before the July 4th holiday in Virginia Beach! We chose this location based on cost, location, and prior reviews. We got the best weekend rate via Expedia versus all of the known travel sites, and we literally booked 12 hours before leaving.

This hotel location is ideal if a beachfront room is not necessary, and if you want to explore other areas of Virginia Beach. Here is our breakdown of Pros and Cons for this hotel:

Pros:

- Manager Mike Mayo delivered top notch customer service and it was always with a smile! Of all my US hotel stays, he has been the most memorable employee/manager thus far. He spoke to everyone who entered and exited the hotel, he truly made us feel like family, and he was able to accommodate our early arrival. Also, he gave us great tips on saving money when parking close to the beach (see below). Needless to say, his great attitude is what every hotel front desk need.

- All of the other staff we encountered were cordial, spoke, and smiled too!

- Good location in relation to other parts of the city and only 10 minutes from the beach off I-264. It is also 3 minutes from the Town Center of Virginia Beach (shops, restaurants, etc.)

- Affordable price for a weekend stay (non-holiday weekend).

- Low priced parking ($7 all day) at their sister property named Country Inn and Suites, located on the beachfront. The requirement for this low rate is for you to show your Candlewood room key to Country Inn as proof of stay. This was the MOST valuable tip we learned from Candlewood, as it saved us money, headaches, and allowed us to park right off the beach and walk wherever we wanted in the beach area - all day, all night, for one low price. You could leave and return to the parking area as much as you wanted each day of parking there for no additional cost. Also, $7 was much less than what the public is charged to park in the same deck.

- Bed was fairly comfortable, bathroom was clean, refrigerator was clean.

- On one night, the hotel had free pink lemonade on the main level which was nice.

Cons:

- Although we requested a non-smoking room, we were able to noticeably smell smoke from neighboring rooms.

- Some of the furniture and decor needs to be touched up and repaired. We saw things like peeling paint/wallpaper in the bathroom, spots on the back of the bathroom door, and the room sitting chair had a damaged chair arm. Also, there was a noticeable stain on part of the carpet near the bed.

- The hotel waiting area rug needs to be cleaned and the sitting area should be cleaned with a bit more frequency. Because of the cost and location of this hotel, it gets plenty of visitors.

We would consider staying here again!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Virginia Beach / Norfolk, responded to this review, July 26, 2014
Dear TDeals,

Thank you for writing a very detailed review of your experience. It is our great pleasure to read that you had an amazing time with us and our team members have shown their initiatives to make your stay pleasant. I will definitely share your message with Mike and the rest of the staff who will be thrilled to hear from you. I do want to take the time to apologize for the letdown regarding the room condition and overall cleanliness of the hotel. As a valued guest, please be assured that all feedback will be acted upon as we rely on you to tell us how we are doing and how we can better meet your needs.

Your patronage and support to the hotel is very important to us and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Kind Regards,

Tracy V.
Case Manager
IHGCare
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2014 via mobile

I absolutely loved our stay there! We e ent and stayed there for 4 nights for our honeymoon. It felt like home and the people there were the nicest people we've ever meet! Especially the one lady at the front desk/check in!! We will definitely be back to stay at this hotel again! It was so clean and inviting! And I am not one to actually sleep under the covers at a hotel but this one was soo clean and homey!

• Stayed June 2014
Brian_CWSVB, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Virginia Beach / Norfolk, responded to this review, August 19, 2014
Mrs basaldella

CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR MARRIAGE..
The entire team here at the Candlewood Suites Virginia Beach were so happy that you enjoyed yourself on your Honeymoon here in the Virginia Beach area. We were pleased that we could be a part of your momentous occasion. We would love to be a part of your first year anniversary or any other occasions you have to visit the area. Again we thank you for taking the time to leave us such positive review and we look forward to seeing you in the future.
Chesapeake, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2014

There is a reason this hotel is the #2 Candlewood Suites in America (the first in New York, New York, I believe). What struck me first is the staff; their friendliness, their genuine concern for your comfort, your wellbeing and your convenience. My husband and I were building our home in the area and it went two months late, necessitating an extended stay. We chose to stay in town as opposed to the Navy Lodge because this hotel accepted our three pets (two cats and a service dog) and doesn't require you to cage them when you are gone. He chose this hotel based on a previous stay and I was apprehensive about it simply because of my commute time to work. All I can say is thank goodness I gave them a chance! I'm pregnant with twins and picky about everything from the bed softness to the linens to whether or not there is a reclining chair that will ease my aching feet at night (which there was). I called ahead before we checked in and spoke for the first time with Vanessa Brown, one of the front desk associates. She patiently answered ALL of my many questions and demands and went further to reserve us a king suite on the fourth floor away from noise and in the corner...which turned out to be a very convenient and desireable location. I learned from her later that she showed my husband (he arrived earlier than me) just about every different room in the hotel you could have, knowing I would not want to stay if I didn't have a room that checked all of my picky boxes. :) We had a good laugh about that later. We developed a friendly and courteous relationship with our weekly cleaner Laquonda (sp?) and only wanted her to clean our room as she liked and got along with our pets and was just all around awesome. You're supposed to be out of the room and let them clean in peace with your pets penned up. She allowed us to stay and didn't mind the pets out while she worked. From Vanessa to Laquonda, to Courtney (one of the sweetest girls you'll ever meet) Shay at the front desk, Brandi and Mike the manager....our stay was smooth and easy and if you HAVE to live in a hotel, you WANT to do it here where they go out of their way to greet you by name, sincerely ask how you are doing and bend over backwards to accomodate your requests. Vanessa has become my friend and even though we have moved into our home now, I anticipate inviting her over for dinner and to play with the babies once they arrive. These folks are all amazing, and you can't go wrong staying here. There is a decent pool at the sister property next door, free laundry on site, DirecTV with HBO in the rooms, wifi or ethernet cable is all free and there is a small convenience store with essentials run either by the honor system or pay at front desk. The bed was spacious and soft and clean with a lovely comforter I wouldn't hesitate to have in my own home. They provide cookware and glassware and detergent for the dishwasher, papertowels, kitchen towels, bowls plates and silverware. There was even a colander! If you stay for a night or for months, this is the place to be, not only because of the convenient location to downtown Norfolk, but because the staff really takes care of you here. I've never experienced anything like it.

Room Tip: If you have a pet that needs walking outside, stay in a king suite at one of the corners away from t...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2014

I stayed at this extended stay hotel while conducting a training class at the Sandler Center for the Performing Arts. The room was large, clean and had a small kitchenette. They also have a small convenience center with everything from food and snacks to toiletries. Very friendly staff and only about 10 minutes from the Sandler Center. Excellent value for $109/night.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Brian_CWSVB, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Virginia Beach / Norfolk, responded to this review, May 21, 2014
Don M,

The Team here at Candlewood Suites would like to thank you for your great review on your most recent stay at our hotel. I'm glad you found our rooms to be spacious and well kept and that you could take advantage of all of our room amenities. As you noted we are centrally located in the Towne Center area of Virginia Beach by the Sandler Center for Performing Arts, Pembroke Mall and plenty of shopping and dining. We hope the next time you are in the area to go back to the Sandler Center or just here to enjoy the Virginia Beach area you stop by and see us. Again thank you for taking time out of your busy schedule to let us know how we are doing.
Altoona, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2014

The room itself was clean and very well kept. Anything needed was easy enough to get when asking at the front desk. People were friendly & willing to help. I booked a room for one evening, not realizing it's best for extended stays. There was a small kitchenet so no free continental breakfast. The breakfast items were way to expensive, rather go to a restaurant & pay the same for better food. No problems, would be great like I said for extended stays, one nighters, not so much.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Brian_CWSVB, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Virginia Beach / Norfolk, responded to this review, May 15, 2014
DebbieH371,

The Team here at Candlewood Suites Virginia Beach would like to thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to leave us a review. I will let the Team know about the kind words you said about how much you liked the room and our great staff. Sorry you didn't know prior to your arrival that we are an extended stay hotel and that we don't serve a continental breakfast, but like you said we do have a kitchenette in every room with a coffee maker, toaster, microwave and other items to make breakfast. We hope the next time you are in the area you stop by and see us again and we can give you some tips on local favorites for breakfast. Again Thank you for your kind review.

Been to Candlewood Suites Virginia Beach / Norfolk? Share your experiences!