“Holiday Light” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #56 of 114 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Williamsburg, Virginia
“Holiday Light”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

We just returned form a week at the OBC, and had a great time . I called a week before arriving and got in touch with the nicest girl by the name of Danielle , since it was the slow season I asked her if she could get us an Ocean Front room , and she was able to do it , the view was Great , the room was 1full room with kitchen, and it was Cozy. The parking garage is just across the street, making it very easy to go in and out . we did the Board walk of Lights which I would say were just OK. All the staff were very helpful and pleasant , and we have only good things to say about the OBC

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
Williamsburg, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

We had 1 bedroom 1 living room unit for the week of 12/14/12. After reading some of the reviews, we were concern about the resort. But unlike the reviews, our experience with this place was very pleasant. From the bellboys to upper management , they were super nice, helpfull, friendly and very pleasant group of people which they can set great example for the hospitality industry . Danielle Lambert, Natasha and the rest of the team, thank you for making us feel home.
Units were small but continent and comfortable. Location is great.
Cons:
Bathtub can use hand rail for older guests.
Internet and cell phone issue big problem .

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012 via mobile

Although previous reviews were both good and bad, I am glad I stayed here. I booked as an exchange through my home resort. Parking was $7 a day for non-owners of the resort even through exchange in structure across street. First encounter with front desk was not friendly but all other employees were nice. Concierge was excellent and accommodating. Room on 8th floor was a 2 bedroom with both rooms oceanfront. Very clean and looked almost new. Full kitchen with utensils. Jacuzzi tub. Second bedroom had one bed and patio with oceanfront view and was adjacent to other unit. Had to go out of 1 bedrm unit to go to 2nd, but left both doors open for easy access. (Foyer still to access both rooms). Full acess to jacuzzi and rooftop deck at new building Oceanaire. Sat by firepit by Oceanaire. Great vacation. Restaurant in hotel was open but I was not aware of this til last day there. Had no problem getting oceanfront and parking structure was no hassle. Probably both due to it being off season. Restaurants across street closed early. I'm sure it is more hectic in the summer. Will be returning next year.

Tips: call a few days ahead of arrival and ask for oceanfront room for all your rooms, not oceanview. Eat at Doc Taylors on 23rd street.

• Stayed December 2012
Arlington, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

We've stayed at many timeshares but have never been treated this poorly or stayed at something this dirty. To start off with, we asked for a two bedroom. We got a one bedroom and a studio. (Two separate rooms which doesn't really work when you have two small kids) They told us parking and internet was included but still charged us $7/day for parking and refused to give us free internet since we were doing a transfer and not a Gold Key member. Their free wireless in the lobby was useless. My phone picked it up but it was so slow that I couldn't do a thing.

We checked out a day early and when we checked out, they said they would not charge us the last day of parking fee (since we were not there to park) but still charged our credit card.

The room was so filthy. My two year old kept picking up dried up cheerios, Cheetos, and random food off the floor when we first checked in. The bottom of the shower curtain was black with mold. It was nasty!!

Couple of the front desk people had attitudes with us after they found out we weren't with Gold Key. We were treated like second class citizens because we are owners at a different timeshare and was doing a transfer.

The beds were uncomfortable and the indoor pool was freezing.

Overall, very disappointed in this resort and will never stay there again. Would NOT recommend this to anyone.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Easton, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

We love staying at this resort no matter what time of the year. We have stayed in November, February and July. They have a great indoor pool and two heated outdoor pools. The gym is small, but who needs an indoor gym when you can walk or run along the beach. Friendly staff.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Elizabeth City, North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

We have been coming to this timeshare for years, usually on use it or lose it points (lousy system) and this year, we should have just lost the points. .

We were stuck in a "studio" with a street view which is about 300 square feet, much smaller than most nice hotel rooms, and it doesn't have a kitchen! A week without a kitchen while on vacation, it was a lousy way to spend the week. When we asked if we could switch to a room with a balcony, the curt response was no, they were booked up. This is a 17 or 18 story building with over 300 rooms and only about 100 occupied!

Parking is across the street, which is fine, but this year we were told very rudely that we could not park on the 2nd flood, that was reserved for their Discovery Club guests only! Been an owner for years, but now.... And since they own the garage, they need to clean the stairwells, they look like they're being used as bathrooms!

The place is really run down. The carpets are nasty, haven't been vacuumed in forever - dried food everywhere, the walls are filthy, the furniture is dirty, the bathroom door knob was broken, the freezer(??) in the under counter fridge was iced over, there's peeling wallpaper everywhere, clogged drains, and dust everywhere. Where the cleaning staff should be, they obviously aren't - trash on the floors remained there all week.

Hope never to come back here again. It's not worth what felt like a filthy germ fest.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Belgrade Lakes, Maine
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

First of all, I would return to this location. However, despite what others are reporting, this is NOT a 5 Star Luxury Resort. Since many have already wrote about the positive aspects of this location, I will write upon the negative that I experienced.

I was not staying here as a Time Share Guest. I booked this as a hotel stay. If you wish to have your room serviced during your stay, you have to PAY EXTRA for it. You can get towel exchanges at the desk and you can leave your trash in the hall and they will take it. There is a flyer posted on the refrigerator outlining the fees and services from the cleaning staff. I was paying $120 per night for a one bedroom suite and every hotel I have ever stayed in has provided cleaning services for free. Not here. At check out, the manager apologized to me and said that the housekeeping staff believed that I was a time share guest. The management did not offer to take anything off of my bill.

I was told during booking by a staff member that my IPhone, IPAD, and Laptop with mobile hotspot would work in my room. This is not true. I spent many hours on the phone with T-Mobile, Verizon, Apple, and Eco-Stream the hotel's internet provider. Verizon was telling me that there had to be a "BLOCK" up and Eco-Stream was telling my that each of my 3 internet devices must have been broken and that for $7.00 per day, they could correct my problem. None of my three devices would work in the lobby. Because I told the management that I was paying $27 for use of my cell phone, IPad, and mobile hotspot during my stay, and I was prevented from using my devices inside the building, the manager did take off my parking fee (a comparable amount) off of my bill at check out. The manager told me that the problem appears to be with Apple users and other devices don't seem to have the same problem.

At booking I was told there was a Jacuzzi/Hot Tub on site. This is actually located in the hotel/facility next door and it is only open for ages over 21.

They do provide you with a full kitchen. However, there are no broiler pans or oven pans that can be used in the oven. We had to purchase disposable aluminum pans for cooking. The stove top pots/pans have plastic handles that are not heat proof.

The AC/Heater unit in 716A blew directly onto the bed. This bothered me. I would wake during the night cold and I would turn the heat on and wait for the room to warm up before turning it off again and going back to bed.

Many of the guests here are Military Families. That being said, if someone in your party is recuperating from PTSD, you should tell the front desk that you need to be notified if there will be any construction during your stay. I did this. However, the staff did not share this information with one another, and in the middle of one afternoon, construction workers started up jackhammers to remove a section of tile floor in the room below us. Our inconvenience could have been avoided by the staff sharing information with one another, and during the work, we could have gone to the lobby for a cup of coffee or taken a walk.

That's it for my negative experiences. Like I said, I would return to this location in the future. But knowing what I know now, I am now better prepared for the inconveniences.

One other thing you might want to be aware of. The company which owns this location is called Gold Key. They own numerous locations, hotels, restaurants, parking garages, stores, souvenir shops, snack shops, information booths, etc. up and down the boardwalk and Atlantic Avenue. You will be "nickle and dimed" by this company during your entire stay.

Room Tip: Make your choices clear on your choice for room location. I would say that all the ocean facing roo...