“Time Share Location, Not a Hotel” 3 of 5 stars

Special Rate
Book Early & Save 15%
Ranked #59 of 114 hotels in Virginia Beach
Belgrade Lakes, Maine
“Time Share Location, Not a Hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

First of all, I would return to this location. However, despite what others are reporting, this is NOT a 5 Star Luxury Resort. Since many have already wrote about the positive aspects of this location, I will write upon the negative that I experienced.

I was not staying here as a Time Share Guest. I booked this as a hotel stay. If you wish to have your room serviced during your stay, you have to PAY EXTRA for it. You can get towel exchanges at the desk and you can leave your trash in the hall and they will take it. There is a flyer posted on the refrigerator outlining the fees and services from the cleaning staff. I was paying $120 per night for a one bedroom suite and every hotel I have ever stayed in has provided cleaning services for free. Not here. At check out, the manager apologized to me and said that the housekeeping staff believed that I was a time share guest. The management did not offer to take anything off of my bill.

I was told during booking by a staff member that my IPhone, IPAD, and Laptop with mobile hotspot would work in my room. This is not true. I spent many hours on the phone with T-Mobile, Verizon, Apple, and Eco-Stream the hotel's internet provider. Verizon was telling me that there had to be a "BLOCK" up and Eco-Stream was telling my that each of my 3 internet devices must have been broken and that for $7.00 per day, they could correct my problem. None of my three devices would work in the lobby. Because I told the management that I was paying $27 for use of my cell phone, IPad, and mobile hotspot during my stay, and I was prevented from using my devices inside the building, the manager did take off my parking fee (a comparable amount) off of my bill at check out. The manager told me that the problem appears to be with Apple users and other devices don't seem to have the same problem.

At booking I was told there was a Jacuzzi/Hot Tub on site. This is actually located in the hotel/facility next door and it is only open for ages over 21.

They do provide you with a full kitchen. However, there are no broiler pans or oven pans that can be used in the oven. We had to purchase disposable aluminum pans for cooking. The stove top pots/pans have plastic handles that are not heat proof.

The AC/Heater unit in 716A blew directly onto the bed. This bothered me. I would wake during the night cold and I would turn the heat on and wait for the room to warm up before turning it off again and going back to bed.

Many of the guests here are Military Families. That being said, if someone in your party is recuperating from PTSD, you should tell the front desk that you need to be notified if there will be any construction during your stay. I did this. However, the staff did not share this information with one another, and in the middle of one afternoon, construction workers started up jackhammers to remove a section of tile floor in the room below us. Our inconvenience could have been avoided by the staff sharing information with one another, and during the work, we could have gone to the lobby for a cup of coffee or taken a walk.

That's it for my negative experiences. Like I said, I would return to this location in the future. But knowing what I know now, I am now better prepared for the inconveniences.

One other thing you might want to be aware of. The company which owns this location is called Gold Key. They own numerous locations, hotels, restaurants, parking garages, stores, souvenir shops, snack shops, information booths, etc. up and down the boardwalk and Atlantic Avenue. You will be "nickle and dimed" by this company during your entire stay.

Room Tip: Make your choices clear on your choice for room location. I would say that all the ocean facing roo...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

400 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
Richmond, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

Spent a nice week here with my inlaws (as nice as that can be) through an Interval exchange. Rooms were on the small side, but sufficient for 4 people. Most disappointing things were a wifi charge and the $7 day parking fee despite the fact that Interval said parking for one car was included. Explanation at the front desk was that that was true, but not for exchanges. Loved the fire pits for cold weather and staff was generally helpful. Just a little miffed by the deceit in their charging schemes.

Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Lisbon, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

This is our second trip here , the improvements are the adjacent hotel is owned by the same group. Within easy steps you can use there hot tub,Infinity pool, Martini bar, and if you are a timeshare owner, a new private deck on the 10th floor, including a fire pit !
We had a great time

Room Tip: oceanfront rooms are always the best if available.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Morgantown
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

My husband and I own 2 timeshares at the Ocean Beach Club. We have been coming here since it opened. Every time we arrive, we feel like we have come home. Many of the Valet's know us and welcome us. Tommy, the concierge has been taking care of us for years. It is a beautiful property with many amenities and definitely family friendly. I highly recommend.

Room Tip: Studio's are very small. Choose one bedroom suite
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012 via mobile

I stayed at ocean beach club resort Sept 2012.I do not have one negative thing to say. I was married directly in front of the hotel on the beach and it was perfect. Our room was more than we expected,my husband fell in love with the gym (that over looks the ocean),all the views were amazing and service was great .. I had read reviews about people being bugged about time shares but not once was it mentioned to us! I can not wait to go back for our one year anniversary next year!

• Stayed September 2012
Virginia Beach
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

I spent Columbus Day weekend for a Mother, daughter , Granddaughter getaway. We had a two bedroom unit which was nice but the rooms are configured strangely. The A unit had a bedroom, living room. full kitchen and bathroom and the B unit was like an efficency and you had to go out of a door to a small vestibule and unlock the door to go to the next unit. Everything was in excellent shape, however the bedroom did have a very old style TV, I had not seen one like that in a long time. This unit was very accomodating for adults or teens, but if you have small children it would not be satisfactory because of the second bedroom being a separate unit.

It was very convient to the ocean and boardwalk. There were several pools and we had fun in them. The hot tub was very nice. I really enjoyed sitting in the rocking chairs by the outdoor fire pit. I was on a timeshare exchange and they did not have an ocean view available but I did still have a nice time.

All encounters with the staff were very good. Friendly and helpful personnel.

Room Tip: Try to get a room with an ocean view
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Philippi, West Virginia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

We shared a friends' timeshare. They used the Saturday through Monday and went Tuesday through Saturday. We weren't hassled at all about listening to the timeshare pitch. It was suggested but that was the end of that.

There is a start up pack for the kitchen including paper towels, dish washing liquid, dishwasher tablets, dish cloth and dish towel, a roll of paper towels and a supply of beach towels so you don't have to think about bringing these items. No big deal except I wouldn't have taken those items. Also there is a hair dryer and an iron/ironing board. Beach chairs are available for a daily fee, Wi-Fi also available with a $5 daily fee but is free in the lobby. Parking is free with the pass they give you at check in, otherwise it is $10 a day and the garage is about 1/2 block from the OBC. (Ocean Beach Club). (You can buy the beach towels for $25)

The in room jacuzzi tub was very nice. The suite was clean and nicely laid out. We had a one bedroom unit with ocean view on the 13th floor. I think the unit we had was called ocean view queen suite. The first unit to the east is oceanfront, then a ocean view unit and then the unit we had behind the 2nd unit. They also have city view only units.

The kitchen is well stocked with glassware, flatware and anything you would need to do a little bit of cooking. Mostly we ate breakfast cereal at the suite and ate out at various places in the area.

The coffee provided is not the best. And if you take your own coffee, you need to take coffee filters. However, there is a restaurant across the street and to the North directly across from Oceanaire that has breakfast foods and coffee, Pocahontas is the name of the restaurant. (Large for $1.75). There was coffee available to buy at the in hotel restaurant. Prices were decent, coffee was just so so. They don't serve the coffee until 8:30 a.m. They also have a very limited breakfast menu.

Just one block down on the boardwalk going South is the 33rd Street Cafe, oceanfront outdoor seating for lunch and dinner (Dinner wasn't being served during our off season stay). We are lunch there one day and the prices were reasonable and the food was very good.

We walked a lot and shopped some, sat on the beach, walked the boardwalk. You can't beat the location. Catch 31 Restaurant and Neptunes is close by and to the South but we didn't try those out. There is also an on site restaurant. We didn't try it either but wish we had. It was always busy, a good sign of good food/beverages.

We did swim around a little in the outdoor pool. I was disappointed that there wasn't a hot tub in the indoor pool. I think the one section was supposed to be a hot tub but it was opened up into the regular pool section. But that wasn't a problem since there was an in room jacuzzi. However, other reviews that I have read state the OBC guests can use the Oceanaire hot tub.

There is one elevator at OBC that the door closes rather quickly. It's the one that is first on the left side going from the lobby area. Just be careful.

We had no problems with the room or housekeeping, etc. We got exchange of towels on Thursday and asked for extra wash cloths and that wasn't any problem. If you want clean/new towels daily, there is a fee. If you get towels every other day, there isn't a fee.

The pillows were a little lumpy. I was wishing we had taken our own pillows. Otherwise the furnishings were satisfactory.

We would stay here again, given the opportunity. The ocean view room was satisfactory considering our use arrangement. There wasn't any chair on the small balcony but I understand that is because of safety issues.

If you want to use the washer/dryer units, they are located on the even floors and are paid machines, which is fine if you have the $1.50 and $1 for using them.

Room Tip: Don't choose a city view room. I'm sure they are okay but you aren't going to get any oc...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Ocean Beach Club? Share your experiences!