“Excellent service but no view” 4 of 5 stars

Special Rate
3rd Night Free
Ranked #61 of 114 hotels in Virginia Beach
Virginia Beach
“Excellent service but no view”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

I spent Columbus Day weekend for a Mother, daughter , Granddaughter getaway. We had a two bedroom unit which was nice but the rooms are configured strangely. The A unit had a bedroom, living room. full kitchen and bathroom and the B unit was like an efficency and you had to go out of a door to a small vestibule and unlock the door to go to the next unit. Everything was in excellent shape, however the bedroom did have a very old style TV, I had not seen one like that in a long time. This unit was very accomodating for adults or teens, but if you have small children it would not be satisfactory because of the second bedroom being a separate unit.

It was very convient to the ocean and boardwalk. There were several pools and we had fun in them. The hot tub was very nice. I really enjoyed sitting in the rocking chairs by the outdoor fire pit. I was on a timeshare exchange and they did not have an ocean view available but I did still have a nice time.

All encounters with the staff were very good. Friendly and helpful personnel.

Room Tip: Try to get a room with an ocean view
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

369 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
Philippi, West Virginia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

We shared a friends' timeshare. They used the Saturday through Monday and went Tuesday through Saturday. We weren't hassled at all about listening to the timeshare pitch. It was suggested but that was the end of that.

There is a start up pack for the kitchen including paper towels, dish washing liquid, dishwasher tablets, dish cloth and dish towel, a roll of paper towels and a supply of beach towels so you don't have to think about bringing these items. No big deal except I wouldn't have taken those items. Also there is a hair dryer and an iron/ironing board. Beach chairs are available for a daily fee, Wi-Fi also available with a $5 daily fee but is free in the lobby. Parking is free with the pass they give you at check in, otherwise it is $10 a day and the garage is about 1/2 block from the OBC. (Ocean Beach Club). (You can buy the beach towels for $25)

The in room jacuzzi tub was very nice. The suite was clean and nicely laid out. We had a one bedroom unit with ocean view on the 13th floor. I think the unit we had was called ocean view queen suite. The first unit to the east is oceanfront, then a ocean view unit and then the unit we had behind the 2nd unit. They also have city view only units.

The kitchen is well stocked with glassware, flatware and anything you would need to do a little bit of cooking. Mostly we ate breakfast cereal at the suite and ate out at various places in the area.

The coffee provided is not the best. And if you take your own coffee, you need to take coffee filters. However, there is a restaurant across the street and to the North directly across from Oceanaire that has breakfast foods and coffee, Pocahontas is the name of the restaurant. (Large for $1.75). There was coffee available to buy at the in hotel restaurant. Prices were decent, coffee was just so so. They don't serve the coffee until 8:30 a.m. They also have a very limited breakfast menu.

Just one block down on the boardwalk going South is the 33rd Street Cafe, oceanfront outdoor seating for lunch and dinner (Dinner wasn't being served during our off season stay). We are lunch there one day and the prices were reasonable and the food was very good.

We walked a lot and shopped some, sat on the beach, walked the boardwalk. You can't beat the location. Catch 31 Restaurant and Neptunes is close by and to the South but we didn't try those out. There is also an on site restaurant. We didn't try it either but wish we had. It was always busy, a good sign of good food/beverages.

We did swim around a little in the outdoor pool. I was disappointed that there wasn't a hot tub in the indoor pool. I think the one section was supposed to be a hot tub but it was opened up into the regular pool section. But that wasn't a problem since there was an in room jacuzzi. However, other reviews that I have read state the OBC guests can use the Oceanaire hot tub.

There is one elevator at OBC that the door closes rather quickly. It's the one that is first on the left side going from the lobby area. Just be careful.

We had no problems with the room or housekeeping, etc. We got exchange of towels on Thursday and asked for extra wash cloths and that wasn't any problem. If you want clean/new towels daily, there is a fee. If you get towels every other day, there isn't a fee.

The pillows were a little lumpy. I was wishing we had taken our own pillows. Otherwise the furnishings were satisfactory.

We would stay here again, given the opportunity. The ocean view room was satisfactory considering our use arrangement. There wasn't any chair on the small balcony but I understand that is because of safety issues.

If you want to use the washer/dryer units, they are located on the even floors and are paid machines, which is fine if you have the $1.50 and $1 for using them.

Room Tip: Don't choose a city view room. I'm sure they are okay but you aren't going to get any oc...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012 via mobile

They are not accommodating! They lie they don't try and fix a problem their answer is no for everything. Don't bother asking for the general manager they will tell you they can't reach him. He must not have a cell phone! This is 2012 everyone can be reached!!! Did I mention this is my first wedding anniversary??!! NO that doesn't matter NO they didn't do anything nice! YES I put it in the comments YES I called and asked if the room was ocean front YES I got here and I'm looking at a parking lot YES I can see the ocean if I HANG off the the balcony. YES the manager tried to up sell to me to solve the issue NO I'm not paying more for your mistake!!!

• Stayed October 2012
Linden, Virginia, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

We have a family vacation here at least every couple of years. This year has been a lot of fun, especially because the kids are older and can enjoy more things independently. The beach and boardwalk are close, the view is amazing, the pools are warm and clean, and the bathtubs are big. What more could you want? My only dislike is the trying to get you to 'buy up' into the next phase of the condo timeshare. Oh! And the 21 and over pool at OceanAire is really nice.

• Stayed October 2012
North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

I stayed here Fri-Mon of Columbus Day wknd for a girls getaway. My college roommate had a timeshare for this resort. Check in was easy, but we were told that we couldn't check in until 5pm, which to me is a little late. Its hard to check in, unpack, walk around the resort, eat and still get to bed at a reasonable hour.

We were on the 8th floor facing the street. She got a suite with a kitchen and I got the adjoining hotel type room. My room was small but looked very nice. I did notice a musty odor when the air condition wasn't running...but as long as it ran, you didnt notice anything. The room was pretty much clean, but the wall around the toilet had speckles on it like someone had vomited and they forgot to wipe down the wall. Also, the water pressure in the shower wasn't that great. (my roomate's shower was fine though) The towels were clean, stainfree and there was a hairdryer.

The bed and linens were great. Very comfortable. It also was quiet and easy to relax at night.

The location of this resort was great. There is a fantastic little pizza joint right across the street. I love the beach, but am not a sand person, so I hung out by the pool the whole time. I LOVED that they had an OVER 21 pool, which is where we stayed the WHOLE time. GREAT hottub! VERY clean. They also provided extra beach towels at the pool, which was a nice touch.

One day it rained so we used the gym. It was great, very clean, beautiful view of the beach and new equipment. There also was a fridge that had cool towels in it. It is a really great facility, but there were no free-weights. Just a 5 or 10 lb set would be a nice addition.

Check out was also easy and the bellboy was fantastic. VERY helpful.

Overall, I thought this place was very nice and would reccomend it to anyone except for one HUGE issue...I had flown to Virginia for this getaway. I packed everything the night before leaving except for what I was going to wear on my flight back. I left a pair of earrings (CZ that look real) and a necklace on the bathroom counter and in my hurry to get to the airport, forgot them. I realized my error during my layover and called the hotel to see if they could send them to me. we checked out at 8am and I called at 2:30pm. They put me though to the maid service (who handles the lost&found) who said they would look and call me back. They called less than 10 min later and said that they didn't find any jewelry. THIS IS CRAP! I know for a fact that I left them on the counter and if check in isn't until 5pm the only person who would have been in that room is staff. They also acted like it was not a big deal..which sort of pissed me off. I can't prove anything, but what if the earrings had been real? Then I would have been REALLY pissed. I take responsibilty that I forgot them, but that doesn't make it someone elses property...AND we even left a tip for the maid. VERY UNPROFESSIONAL AND NOT GOOD BUSINESS PRACTICE!

Room Tip: There is a movie theater that serves food and adult beverages right up the road. AWESOME rainy day e...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

This was second trip to this property this year. Our last week was March 2012 and we were stuck in a 1 bedroom city view (street side) on the third floor. Due to construction that is now over, we had a lot of jack hammer noise all day. No balcony means no way to open the windows due to safety.

This time we arrived very late, after 2 am. Check in day was Saturday for a week. We had bellman help to get stuff into our unit. This time it was 209, which means street side. 05,07, 09 and maybe 03-04 will always be streetside and no oceanview. Asked for oceanview and told they were full. It was Neptune Festival weekend and we knew it would be busy. We were told to ask again Sunday. Asked Sunday and Monday with no luck. So I decided to ask the staff at the front desk what does it take to get oceanview or oceanfront? The young lady was very pleasant and listened to our issues. This time on the second floor in 209 we did have a balcony with no chairs(a safety issue). This door was out of our bedroom. We went out a couple of times. We were right above the air handlers/compressors and areas where staff come out to smoke and talk. We could hear the noise at times in our bedroom. This unit had a smaller living room but more functional kitchen layout. Bathroom was also very large with doors that opened to the bedroom and kitchen. Last time we cooked fish in our unit and smelled it for days since we couldn't open a window or door. This time we could openn a door but the noise from below became an issue that we mentioned to the front desk person. She said units were assigned by Interval International. I found that hard to believe. My unit type was HARBOR. We told her were were thinking of never trading back here because of the units we always got. She decided to really search for us at this time and found a corner unit, 312. We would be looking directly into units at the new building Ocean Aire but we would have an oceanfront view over the pool. We took it! Much bigger unit. Layout a bit weird in that you walk through 2 doors in bathroom sink area to get to bedroom. Kitchen a better layout and 2 chairs in living room instead of one. She said their normally was a $50.00 cleaning fee for changing room which we were fine with that. I chose to have this conversation in the evening when no one else was around and they were not busy. The front desk person also told us to call in advance once we make the interval reservation and tell them (gold key) what we want for a unit. Gold Key is a big operation in Virginia Beach with a lot of resort properties and restaurants. We own a lot of timeshare time and never take the tour but do always take what is offered for information. I usually tell them I own a lot and they don't hassle us.

You now have access to adults only indoor pool on the ground level of Ocean Aire and it is very nice. Hot tub attched and a gas fire pit with chairs that overlook the boardwalk. Very nice area. Also have a Martini Bar close by.

My comments about the pool areas are that they do post readings and run the pool at a 5 ppm chlorine level. The ph was a little all over the place 7.0-7.8. Readings are taken several times per day and you will see staff testing the water. They clean the pool area every morning before opening at 8 am. The pool area was pressure washed one evening and it left some of the chairs dirty and spotted. They came back the next day to clean again. It really caused the pool to become cloudy as we could see the dirt the staff was brushing up from our third floor balcony. Even after vaccuming, the cloudiness persisted. The pool needed a clarifier. 2 days after pressure washing it was still hazy. One time I got in and the bugs and leaves were all over the place. I checked the skimmers and determined the filter did not appear to be running. I spoke to one of the staff who work in the pool area and was told the skimmers had not been turned back on after vaccuming. I have a pool business and I am a little picky about public pools. Unfortunately were were checking out but if it would have remained cloudy, I would have complained to management. The resort does do a good job staffing the pool and monitoring it but needed to address the pressure washer contractor. I did find the chlorine level a little high and irritating to my skin. This is a salt water pool.

Overall we enjoy this resort. It has a nice pool area and good beach access. Everyone has been helpful.

Room Tip: Odd room numbers appear to have have street views. Even numbers appear to have ocean views. If you...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

We've been here twice through a timeshare exchange through Interval....and we've had very MIXED results.

Studio room / City side = bad experience
1 bedroom suite / Ocean side = Amazing experience

The first time we were here, we arrived on a Friday, the end of May...about 3 years ago. When we checked in, we were assigned to a studio, ocean side...and while it was lovely to be on the oceanside, the studio was simply to small for us (me, wife, and 1 yr. old). So we after about 2 days, we decided to ask the front desk if we could have a bigger room....and to our surprise, they instantly granted us a new room without any problems......same floor, same day move...STILL oceanside...and a WONDERFUL spacious apartment with a nice balcony. It was amazing...and we were very grateful. If you can get one of these, it's definitely worth staying here.

The pool is great too, both indoor and outdoor....and overall, the staff was very nice and friendly.

3 years later we went back....expecting to be able to do the same thing. This time we arrived on a Sunday, and got NO love from the front desk. In fact, it was quite the opposite. We were assigned to a city side view room (which is small and stifling) and no matter how kindly we asked, there was nothing they "would" do for us. We even waited until mid week to check if there were any options to move to a bigger room....but still, nothing was available. The worst part about a studio on the city side view is that it does NOT have a balcony, and there is no way to open any windows.....so the air gets very stale, and there is no way to get fresh air.

Here's where I believe the whole problem began....and why we had such a dramatic difference in service from our first year to our second year.

When we first checked in, one of their sales men tried to snag me to give me my "welcome packet". (This is nothing more than their way to get you scheduled for their timeshare pitch). Well aware of what was happening, I smiled and said "no thanks"....and walked on out to park our car. Then this guy literally comes running after me, and asked for my name...said he will "mark" our account that we declined the "welcome packet". While I was a bit shocked at his behavior, I made the mistake of giving him my name, thinking it would be great if the didn't bother us on our family vacation. BUT I'm pretty sure this put a red flag on my account for the rest of our stay. Because like I mentioned earlier.....there was nothing they "could" do for me when I asked for an upgrade...(which was the opposite from 3 years ago).

I'm not judging either way for sure....but I'm afraid declining the "welcome packet" effected the level of service we got. So if you go here, be very careful how you say "no" to this offer. I would suggest going with the flow, then kindly declining when they try to schedule you for timeshare pitch.....just do it tactfully.

As timeshare owners who exchange through Interval, we will probably try out Turtle Cay (which is a sister hotel) next time....because their smallest units are a lot bigger than OBC's smallest units....so the value is higher for the same trade value.

Room Tip: make sure you get ocean side, and at least a 1 bedroom suite. The studio rooms are VERY small.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Been to Ocean Beach Club? Share your experiences!