“perfect for us!” 4 of 5 stars

3301 Atlantic Avenue, Virginia Beach, VA 23451 (Northeast Virginia Beach)   |
Ranked #14 of 114 hotels in Virginia Beach
“perfect for us!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013 via mobile

We almost passed this hotel up due to it being a bed & a sofa pullout. We decided to check out the room & realized it was perfect. The room was very clean & spacious for our family of 5. Great location. Lobby & hallways were a very tight squeeze. Unfortunately only 1 elevator, but overall a great 2 night last minute stop on our road trip. We would definitely stay again. Jeff at the front desk was super nice & helpful.

• Stayed August 2013

173 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

The Four Sails Resort met all of our needs for a quick weekend get-away to Virginia Beach.
We booked online and got a nice suite for a great price.
Our 1 bedroom suite had a kingsize bed, living room with sofabed, galley kitchen, and a baclony with a grand ocean view.
The staff was helpful, the rooms clean and functional.
There is an indoor pool that we didn't use (might be good for winter visitors).
There is ample parking in the deck, but those with larger cars might find the tight spaces challenging.
All in all, we had a great experience.

Room Tip: it seems all rooms have an ocean view, there are several floor plans, all look good
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
EASTCOAST
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013 via mobile

When I made my reservation, a girl on the phone quickly mentioned "No Pets, No partying". So I was a little worried. I'm a bit allergic to pets, but I came here to party. So I checked in quietly....

Then the sky ripped open. Even with fingers pressed earnestly deep into my ear canals i couldn't quench the sound of our military force. On the beach I thought the Blue Angels were in town for a show. The fighter pilots flying in tandem, the black helicopters hovering inches from the sea, all that just a summertime spree. Or so I thought.

I checked in Thursday. Today is Sunday. I am sitting on a deck looking at a full moon over the ocean. The aircraft pilots took a break earlier today, but tonight must be a free for all. The strict flight plans have been abandoned, and those impressive planes seem to be having as much fun as the dolphins in the sea.

The resort is great. Wait, I can't hear myself think....another machismo machine flying by. Anyways, Earlier on the beach, the French and Italian tourists couldn't help but look up during these Episodes. I am an American tourist, so I am conserving my neck muscles and acting nonchalant. But I've gotta say, I am impressed. I can't imagine what visitors from France, Italy, and other earthly places must think of us, but I am proud.

The 4 Sails Resort lends out bicycles, and the bike path leads to art at every intersection. You can see Nautilus from Google Earth. I had to check out the bike 3 times one day since they only lend them for an hour at a time. Worth every minute.

No worries about setting your alarm clock at this resort because even on Saturday pneumatic construction equipment hammers at 6am. My room has two decks. One facing the beach and another outside the bedroom facing the parking deck with beautiful views of cranes hoisting equipment. The room itself was fully stocked with every accoutrement you desire for cooking in suite. All is wrapped in plastic, and a sign in the kitchen demands you leave everything just as you found it. I think they just don't want you to take home the pizza cutter.

Breakfast is reasonably priced downstairs. The wait staff is friendly, but accents unfamiliar and hard to discern. That's probably just me, since I'm from the deep south and Virginia Beach is populated by people from Northern places. Don't bother with the grits...they have some nourishment, but no taste bud value. Note to staff: cream instead of water, and real butter instead of margarine.

The indoor pool is fantastic. At least for me and my college friends. I'm not sure that the open floor plan above us was conducive to rest and relaxation for others, but as long as you bring your own towels you're golden.

The four sails is fantastic, and so is Va beach!!! The ocean is colder than the Carolinas, and that's ok. I understand the gulf stream doesn't reach up here, so it's different. But it's all good.

Don't want to leave. Have fun!

Stayed July 2013
Pavilion, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

This property has two sides to it. The good side is the location right on Atlantic Ave which is far enough north to avoid the rowdy part of the strip. Compared to the big name hotels the price is very very good and you get a great view of the ocean and boardwalk. The staff is very friendly and helpful but this isn't a chain hotel so they don't have the same standards as big boys. The hotel could use a major face lift in some areas with the lobby and hallways being the biggest thing that stuck out. The rooms are clean and equipped with wi-fi, flat screen tv, stereo, stove, microwave coffeepot and a fridge. Some items in the room look like they haven't been updated in years. Nothing major just little things that give it away. Our shower curtain was torn, the drapes had small holes in them, poorly sliding doors, and the hot tub we had in our room didn't drain too well or have the best hot water pressure. The bed was fine for us but the ac unit was installed about 5 inches from the head of the bed so one of us had air blowing on us all night but with temps in the high 90s that week we had little choice. All in all a good stay if you know what to expect going into it.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Moseley, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

My family bought one week for Week 29 at this place decades ago. It is a 1 bedroom unit. We used it a lot for the first 5 years or so and then traded it to go other places RCI owned. I got married 7 years ago and had children. We started going back to Virginia Beach and stayed at Four Sails starting 5 years ago and every year until this year. You cannot beat the location. Right in the heart of Beach Street and short walking distance to Neptune Park. Virginia Beach is extremely family friendly and much more accomodating to families with small children than my recent trip to Myrtle Beach (no public restrooms is really annoying when you have small children). Beach Street has loads of family entertainment and it is all FREE. You may pay a little more to stay in Virginia Beach than other beaches but it is well worth it. Very clean and modern. This resort is old. They have done about as well as they can renovating it without doing major construction. The 1 bedroom is tight for a family of 5. You will get a large king bed in the bedroom with a pull out queen slze sleeper sofa in the family room. The kitchen is one of the efficiency version but it is larger than most I have stayed in. You get a DVD player, wifi and all the normal things. Carpets and furnishings have been updated in most if not all units. Bedding and mattresses were great - even the sleeper sofa (where I get stuck sleeping with my two young boys). View is great and gets better the higher up you go. Parking is challenging in the parking deck. We have a Honda Odyssey which is pretty large and parking is tight. If you can avoid driving a SUV, you will navigate it much easier. The indoor pool does stink. It is enclosed and not useful at all. I am sure it is great in the winter but it is particularly worthless in the summer. I hope one day they knock down the current restaurant and locate it where the pool is and put an outdoor pool where the restaurant is. It pulls very little traffic in from the beach any way. The restauarnt on site is great for lunch and breakfast. We've eaten dinner there a few times as well. Nothing fantastic but not bad either. It only has 1 elevator and that can be quite slow during peak hours of use. Our unit is on the 8th floor so lugging stuff up and down the elevator isn't really an option (especially with small children). Leave all the beach junk at home as they have it all there - chairs, sand buckets, beach toys, etc. They even have bikes on site. We finally learned to stop bringing a lot of that on our last trip. Most of the people we see each year have owned their weeks for decades as well. It is really rare to see weeks 25-34 go up for sale here. Management is about average for a property of this type. Maybe a little above. You can get some maid service but I don't recall it being available every day. Washer/dryer on premises but not in your room.

Room Tip: They do have a few 2 bedroom units.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Palmyra, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

This place has everything you need for a perfect vacation. Each room is spacious and beautifully appointed. Very friendly staff. Would recommend Of waiting room 403 as it is directly off to swimming pool which is usually full of children screaming and playing.

• Stayed July 2013
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

I just got back from a trip with a fellow retiree; we took a teen friend to the beach for a few days. We wanted a reasonably priced hotel where our teen could have some privacy. We used Trip Advisor to find a hotel, and we were delighted with the results. The price was right, we found a well-stocked kitchenette (complete with bits of dishwashing liquid and dishwasher detergent); a bed in a separate room for us and a pull-out couch for the teen, who could stay up late and not bother us! We both had sliding glass doors and a balcony with ocean view. The hotel provided beach chairs, bikes (!), even beach toys for borrowing. Our teen even went to Bingo at the pool. We felt like Four Sails really did go above and beyond to provide the little extras that please and surprise. It made our visit very comfortable. We left very satisfied and would recommend this hotel to others.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Four Sails Resort? Share your experiences!