“Not bad at all!!” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #78 of 114 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Hurricane, WV
“Not bad at all!!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2008

I was really worried. After i reserved our hotel i read all the reviews, boy was i nervous when we pulled into the parking lot, i was afraid of what was inside, It wasn't perfect but it certainly was not like what the reviews where saying. We did have a little trouble with our hotel keys a couple times. They were very sensiitve. But it was an enjoyable stay. We hated to come home!!

• Liked — It was in the middle of everything. It was also very quiet
  • Disliked — The keys where very sensitive
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2008

Wow, i was really really scared based on other reviews. i guess i should not listen to other people. If i had listened i would have missed out on a good vacation in Virginia Beach. The hotel is everything you pay for. Nice clean room on the beach. Two comfortable beds, nice kitchen area. Bathroom is clean, balcony over looks the ocean and the pull out sofa is comfy. House cleaning is very nice and always prompt to take away your garbage. My family and I who Numbered around 12 guests were all presently surprised about our stay at the marjac. I would without question stay here again. The hotel is located in the center of the strip close to everything and at night on occasions it did get a little loud but not so loud it kept us awake. We also had two small children who slept quietly through the night. The only bad thing about the hotel is the one SMALL elevator. other then that the hotel is worth the money and it provides a wonderful week at the beach. We would all stay here again and enjoy the beach

• Liked — clean rooms, price, and friendliness
  • Disliked — One small elevator
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Erie
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2008

This hotel was not as awful as everyone made it out to be! The rooms were very nice, completely remodeled, and facing the ocean. It was clean. The cleaning ladies were super sweet. We were in our rooms a lot when they came to clean but they always gave us whatever we needed. The kitchenette was nice and convenient although it took awhile for the fridge to get cold. The pool is on the street but people walking by can't see you swimming in it unless they came right up to the fence (which never happened). The noise wasn't a problem until the weekend when their was a lot going on on the strip. That wasn't the hotel's faul though. Short of changing their layout the bedroom is closest to the street) or enclosing the front of the hotel there isn't anything they can do about that. The elevator is REALLY small. Definately smaller than your average sized elevator but I can't say that affected our trip in anyway. We had some minor problems but nothing that would ever keep us from returning. I would say our biggest concern was security. We walked right through the wide open lobby doors as 1:00 a.m. with no questions asked. On the weekends there were a lot of people hanging out outside the lobby, not sure if they were guests or what. There was a security guard out front on the weekends too, but again he didn't ask us anything when we came in.

Overall the price was decent and our stay was nice. I have no major complaints and would stay there again.

• Liked — Room, cleaning ladies, location, price
  • Disliked — elevator, water pressure in bathroom sink, noise on the weekend
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
NY
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2008

Potentially a nice low cost hotel on the beach in the center of the strip. Rooms are nicely laid out, kitchen is nice with granite counters, utensils, dishes, pots and pans, microwave and stove, great view of the beach, decent A/C, TVs in Bedroom and Living Room, friendly, helpful staff.

On the other hand, there is only one elevator. Not even a service elevator. When we arrived, it had been broken for three days. It was murder getting our luggage up to the seventh floor. There are no porters to help - not that kind of hotel. This is a real design flaw, so I would never stay there for that one reason alone. Most guests were tolerant. However, while guests wouldn't smoke in an elevator, some jerks felt free to selfishly smoke up and down the stairway making the use of it even more uncomfortable.

When we got into the room, which was made up and clean, we went to turn on the TV and there was no remote control in the LR, and the TV in the BR didn't work. There were no towels or soap. The freezer hadn't been defrosted in probably a year (we defrosted it before we checked out five days later), and the bathroom sink barely drained.

We called the front desk and they sent the handyman with towels and soap, who arrived within minutes despite having to walk up seven flights. He then fixed the TVs, brought and programmed a remote, and somewhat cleared the sink drain. So now the only problem was the elevator, which was fixed the next morning.

Housekeeping was fair. They cleaned the bathroom, changed the towels, made the bed, but vacuuming was sporadic.

There is no internet access, but early in the morning you can receive a weak unsecured WiFi signal from the balcony facing the street, or you can go accross the street and sit at the outdoor seating area of the Abbey Road restaurant until around 9:30 am when they come in to set up, or you could actually get breakfast or a cup of coffee once it opens at 11 and use their signal legitimately.

The pool is very small, in front of the hotel in the parking lot next to the street, so it is very noisy. However, when it was too windy and cool at the beach, we sat on one of the six lounge chairs in the small seating area.

As cheap as this hotel was, I wouldn't ever stay here again, even if I liked the town, which had some nice features and restaurants, but I wasn't crazy about it or the noisy military jets constantly training at low altitude overhead.

• Liked — Location, hotel staff, room features and layout, view.
  • Disliked — One elevator that didn't always work, lack of sink drainage in the bathroom.
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2008

I was concerned after reading the reviews for this hotel but was happy to see some positive reviews more reecntly. After arriving I was totally surprised. The room was completely renovated, the staff terrific and I met many wonderful people there. The room was clean, the view was spectacular and it was right in the middle of everything. Everyone with us felt completely safe and we plan on visiting there again next summer. We miss it already!

• Stayed June 2008
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2008

WOW, my husband and myself and our two children stayed 7 nights at th Marjac. We had a wonderful stay, from the view to the staffs hospitality we loved it. We got a wonderful price. We were only upset when we wanted to stay an extra night and was told our rate per night would double. I guess peak season does that. The sofa matress could have been a little softer but other than that would recommend this hotel. We had no loud noise once we were in the room. We actually slept with the patio door open every night!!! If you are not into the tourist sites then do not stay here, there will be to much fun for you here!

• Liked — The view, the rate
  • Disliked — Peak season rate
Lynchburg, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2008

Have stayed at the Marjac suites on several occasions. The location is right in the middle of everything. In the past I woud rate this hotel well below average, but the price is always right and a family can stay comfortably. I was fully prepared when I arrived to do some serious disinfecting..armed with Lysol, Febreze and various room air fresheners, even packed my own linens. To my surprise, the hotel has undergone some big time renovation!! The stinky musky carpet has been replaced with new, cushiony carpet, brand new tile flooring throughout, new countertops and cabinets, appliance upgrades, digital thermostats, new paint and wallpaper. Not to mention the safe was actually achored to the floor this time, not hanging over and falling on the floor. Also, new entry locks on the rooms, gone are the days of the regular room key...credit card style now.The room had no odors whatsoever or anything to complain about! Before this was a pretty rundown place, but it is getting so much better. So glad to see some money going into this place!! Our housekeeper was Juanita. She was very sweet and personable, checked on us whenever she saw us to see if we needed anything. Although we didn't have our room cleaned during our stay, we would always come back to find a bag of necessities hanging on our door (clean towels, washcloths, soap, shampoo & TP). Juanita went above and beyond.
Another issue that has concerned me in the past was security at this place. When we stayed here before, we took every valuable we had with us when going out. Seemed to me like there were alot of people hanging around the lobby that were neither guests or employees. It made for an uneasy stay. The Marjac must be under new management or something because ALL of that is changed as well. There are usually the same 2-3 smiling faces at the front desk now, eager to help in any way possible. Gone are the shady nine time felons hanging around in the lobby. It made me ecstatic to know they now had a security guard there at night enforcing the guests only rule. My brother accidentally left his brand new laptop in the room when we went out for the day and amazingly enough, it was there when we returned!! An EXTREME plus for this place!!!! (0:
Please do not be deterred by my review, the Marjac has come a long way since last summer. The hotel is becoming more updated, and it was a very pleasant stay for my family. Actually it was the best stay we have ever had there. We immediately called our friends that usually go along with us and stay here and told them about the renovations and upgrades. It's not a dump anymore!
My advice is try the Marjac now. If you have stayed before, you will be very surprised now. What a difference.
The only disappointments I had were no internet access, but I'm sure that will happen shortly. (Although if you go out front, Abbey Rd is unsecured just FYI) My other complaint was being on the 7th floor and the elevator having problems..like when we were checking out. Nothing more aggravating than making 3 trips up and down 7 flights of stairs with luggage. They were working on that while we were checking out, so I am sure it is fixed now.

One more thing to mention, so you won't be shocked during your stay. When we came down to our vehicle one morning to get our beach towels and chairs/umbrellas we were interrogated by hotel staff. They asked us if we were guests of the hotel..then further asked what room we were staying in. We had a parking pass displayed and everything. They wanted to "make sure our car was still gonna be here when we got back" they said. Why wouldn't it be??? If they checked their registered guest list, they would know. With limited parking oceanfront, I can see why. Just a bit out of the ordinary I suppose, but it only takes one dishonest person to ruin it for the rest of us. I just coughed it up as improved security! (o:

Give Marjac a try, you won't be disappointed.

• Liked — Price, renovation of room, location
  • Disliked — Elevator issues, but were usually resolved in a timely manner
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Marjac Suites? Share your experiences!