“Great View” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #11 of 122 things to do in Virginia Beach
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Activities: Hiking
More attraction details
Owner description: Take a recommended drive to the oldest government-built lighthouse in America.
“Great View”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

I see some people are complaining about the stairs. It is a lighthouse....! Anyways, I thought it was unique to be able to actually climb up the stairs to the top of the lighthouse. The view at the top was great, you could see all the way out to Virginia Beach Town Center, which is a good ways from Fort Story. The lighthouse is very close to First Landing, which was also interesting to see. Both are worth a visit if in the area.

Visited July 2013

Virginia Beach
4 attraction reviews
“Lots of stairs”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

This is a nice piece of history to look at and photograph from the ground, But it is a LONG climb to the top-something like 140 steps in the lighthouse alone including a ladder. Not recommended for younger children or adults who are not in decent physical shape. The view from the top is satisfactory but nothing special. Instead, check out the memorial across the road honoring the site where the first English settlers put down feet in the New World.

Visited September 2012
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Security with officer LUNA made it a nighmare”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

My husband daughter and I drove 4 hours to see this lighthouse only to be drilled by officer Lunatic Luna at the security check. I was in the driver seat. Hubby in the passenger. He asked why wasn't I looking at him and why didn't I speak to him. I was flabbergasted! I thought that he was joking. He was not. I picked up my jaw and said well i'm tired and I've been traveling since 5:30 am with a 5 year old in tow. He turns to the other security guard and mumbles something. The guard said "why, what's the problem"? Lunatic Luna says "she has an attitude, they can't come in". I was so shocked and tired that I continued to stay silent as I had when we first pulled up. Lunatic Luna instructed us to make a U-turn and the other officer handed me my drivers L with a sympathetic look. I thanked the officer and we drove off stunned.

Visited June 2013
west of Washington, DC
40 attraction reviews
“Great vantage ppoint - excellent views!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

Nice lighthouse, plenty of history and well worth the "hassle" of entering a protected military area to view.

To people who go on road trips without their registration/insurance, etc, what would a cop do if you were stopped on the road? HELLO! You are entering a military base! Why is that such a hard concept to absorb? The guards were not at all rude, but they are no-nonsense in performing their job.

Once you get to the lighthouse though, you'll be glad you took the extra time. The volunteers we met were knowledgeable on the lighthouse and it was great step back in history.

Visited May 2013
Franklin, Tennessee
5 attraction reviews
“Awesome history and a great view”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

We've been here a few times. Since 9/11 they now inspect your vehicle when you enter the base, but it's fine...just be clean and you're good to go. This time we took a boat ride down and got to see it from the water. It's a different experience but still very cool.

Visited July 2013