“Had a great time” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #27 of 115 hotels in Virginia Beach
Beckley, United States
“Had a great time”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

great location. few steps away to Neptune Statue. Room was very clean and we got a very nice view of the ocean and boardwalk.skybar and infitypool were awesome as well. a bit pricey but we really had a great time.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

854 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (173)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

My family and I (wife and two 4 1/2 year old daughters) recently stayed at the Hilton, Virginia Beach and overall had a great experience. I feel compelled to give only 3 stars because of several negative experiences.

On a positive note, all of the staff is extremely friendly and eager to help. The rooms are clean and well appointed. The location is probably the best in of all the beach hotels.

The first negative experience was at the restaruant. Catch 31 (seafood) and Salacia (steak and seafood) that are co-located along with a bar/lounge - which causes much confusion and frustration. When you first walk in you see a hostess counter. After waiting 5 minutes, they'll tell you it's only for Salacia. When you go to the next hostess counter and wait another 5 minutes to speak to one of 4-5 young women attending, they'll tell you it's a 45 minute wait and to enjoy a drink at the bar and they'll page you when table is ready. Not bad so far. . . but, it will take 20 minutes for you to flag down a cocktail watress, and then another 20 minutes for your waitress to get your drink. You've now waited an hour and you are thirsty, hungry, and irriated.

The second very negative experience was at the conceirge, they co-locate with representatives from Goldkey Resorts who offer to show you other Hilton properties that are condos and/or hotel rooms. They present themselves as Hilton staff, but they are not. You will have to sit through a 90 minute presentation and then a very agressive push to buy a timeshare. I did not expect this scam here. It was very frustrating and a poor reflection on the hotel.

So, perhaps too much complaining for a rewiew at an otherwise lovely hotel, but they were two very black marks on our stay. We hope the Hilton Virginia Beach can remedy these because we'd love to come back.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Staying here currently, front desk staff is not very friendly or helpful. Needed to extend our room two nights, I could bring up same rate for same room on my Hilton Honors app but was told no rooms were available. Front desk person next to her said there were rooms she proceeds to answer phone and I was given a nod it was taken care of. Other interactions with Front Desk were subpar as well they seemed bothered by questions. Even when there were four of them standing there staring at computer screens. I expect more from a Hilton.

First morning housekeeper was rude when I asked her to come back later when she came to door at 10 am she said nothing and never returned. Next day asked a housekeeper to be sure to clean our room she was apologetic and said she would do our room next. As another reviewer mentioned only three elevators with lots of traffic.

Pool staff is the friendliest group, rooftop pool is beautiful but small and chairs are hard to come by, very few lounge chairs small sun deck for such a large hotel. Rooms are clean, but carpet in our room is fraying at threshold to bathroom. Internet is extra, parking is extra, and not very convenient, no vending machines or guest laundry. I would not have chose this hotel myself but booked with a group for a dance competition.

Hotel has a few restaurants but not family friendly based on price and selection. I would not recommend this property for families. With so many hotels on Virginia Beach surely there is a better one out there.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
David_Schaum1, General Manager at Hilton Virginia Beach Oceanfront, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
I am sorry that we have not met your expectations. Please contact the front desk at your earliest convenience so that we may have the opportunity to assist you with any concerns. Guest satisfaction is our number one priority, and we sincerely hope that the remainder of your stay is enjoyable. We have sent something to your room as a token of appreciation for your feedback and choosing the Hilton Virginia Beach Oceanfront.
Regards,
Dave Schaum
Brambleton VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Our stay here was very good. I came here with my family, and we had an amazing time.

Pros: The staff was very friendly. They helped us with anything we needed and made us fell at home. Before we left to go on a family bike ride, the attractions man told us all about the attractions and gave us many coupons.

Cons: The pools. Online, it says there is an infinity pool, but there is not. Also, the "infinity pool" and the indoor pool are very cold and often crowded. Also, the maid service rarely came.

Over all, it was a great trip.

Stayed June 2014
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Staying here for a business trip, I was impressed by this hotel and realized that I should've been here on vacation instead. Located on the boardwalk, I was upgraded to a room with a view of the ocean--and what a view it was. I had a good experience from check-in to check-out. The dining options at the hotel are great--good quality food--and there are a ton of other dining choices in the area.

The only 2 oddities I experienced were that the front desk staff had issues combining my two separate reservations into one--resulting in a weird case of having two bills at check-out. Also, the breakfast buffet had a lot of flies bugging the dining guests--the hotel could use to invest in some fly traps.

But, I'd recommend the Oceanfront Hilton to anyone who is coming to Virginia Beach--whether business or for pleasure. Expect a good experience.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Virginia Beach, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We stayed had a short stay June 22, 2014 to June 25. Our room was oceanfront club level at 360.00 bucks a night. Why was there a very large stain on the bed skirt? I have the photo to prove it. Please view for yourself. If this is a five star hotel why are the beds dirty? I did bring this to the hotel attention. They cleaned the room again. The bathroom was not to clean for my standards. It was a bad experience. The hotel is dated and has seen better days. They need to renovate bad. Old looking beds. Very boring. Catch 31 has nasty food. Just very bland. The drinks at the bar was good.

Room Tip: No advice.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
I am sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations, and I want to apologize for your experience at the restaurant. Please know that we take guest comments very seriously, and I have passed on your concerns regarding your stay to the Executive Housekeeper for further training. Thank you again for your feedback. We look forward to seeing you on your next visit.
Regards,
Dave Schaum
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Arrived 06/2014 and stayed 3 nights. We paid extra to stay in an Empyrean Club room. The lobby was well - maintained and clean -- reminded of the Fontainebleau lobby on a smaller scale. Front desk staff was friendly and check in was seamless. There was a bit of a wait to get to the room as 3 elevators serve the entire hotel and there were quite a few of us checking in at the same time. Our room was basic but very clean and functional. The balcony view of the beach / ocean was breathtaking. The top 3 floors of the hotel are the Empyrean rooms and are served by a private little area offering drinks / snacks (great for hungry kids waiting for dinner). There's a beautiful outdoor pool on the roof, bar, and indoor pool as well; again, reserved for guests residing in the Empyrean rooms. The main, possibly only, restaurant ("Catch 31") was excellent with a seafood bent; reasonably priced. Breakfast buffet was good, omelets included. Beach access is phenomenal. Self park is $6.00 / day (we did this and recommend it) and I believe valet was $20.00.

I did feel a little nickel and dimed, however. Wifi was not free (as expected) but you had to pay for each individual device, i.e., iPads / MacBook. We passed. Interestingly, I used my phone for the duration of our stay and was able to get free WiFi. Beach rentals (chair, umbrella, etc) were not cheap either. For a $1400 stay I think these are unacceptable.

Overall, though, a great experience and will be staying again next summer. Great family hotel.

Room Tip: Spring for a oceanfront / ocean view room. You will not be disappointed.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family

Been to Hilton Virginia Beach Oceanfront? Share your experiences!