“Great Hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #35 of 114 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Richmond, United States
“Great Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

This hotel has a great location and all of the amenities you would expect from a resort property. Staff was very helpful, self parking was easy (they have valet) and the hotel was very clean. I would take my family here anytime.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

DavidSchaum, General Manager at Hilton Virginia Beach Oceanfront, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
Dear Guest, I appreciate you for taking the time to share your recent experience at our Hilton Virginia Beach Oceanfront Resort. It is my pleasure to know you enjoyed your stay with us, and that you feel cgood about bringing your family to stay with us.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (249)
Manassas, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

our recent stay at the Hilton was extremely disappointing. we arrived and checked in at 330 and were told our room was not ready we were told to come back after 4 when we returned there were over 30 people in line waiting to check in before us. not sure what the point of being hilton Honors number is they didn't take us first or have a special desk for those people or for people who had checked in pryor so after an hour in line we finally received room keys. it took another hour to get our bags but the most frustrating part was being on the 6th floor we had a granddaughter with us she couldn't take the stairs there were no elevators available we waited over 30 minutes to be able to ride an elevator to get to our room upon check-in. then of course we had to wait on the bellman with the bags and wasted our afternoon and evening between the front desk and the Bell service desk not to mention the elevator. the elevators were an issue
our entire stay not one time are we able to get on an elevator the first time it stops on the floor.they were always full of people and it was generally the 3rd or 4th stop we were able to actually get on an elevator.the front desk staff was extremely rude and difficult we had to ask several times for them to even print a receipt on check out the service is terrible the entire visit went from bad to worse you also had to walk through the front or side of the hotel to get out to the beach so it really isn't that convenient. our ocean front room had two beds that were tiny probably double or twin beds they were very uncomfortable and very

small. when we tried to check out we were told we had an hour wait for a bellman or a cart to get our bags down from the 6th floor not to mention once again it took us almost an hour to get an elevator we ended up making several trips up and down the stairs well one of us stay with our granddaughter and the other in the back up and down. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed August 2013
Huntington, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

The Hilton Brand is missing from this beach front hotel. It relies on its location, amenities outside the hotel but doesn't bring any value inside to the hotel as to facilities, service or quality of stay. I would not select this hotel again. Simply, the fact that there is no sundries that can be purchased in the hotel and one has to go down the street for sundries is symbolic of the quality of the hotel. We had to wait a long time for bell service on arrival since the bell staff was not sufficient to handle incoming guests, the quality of the food at the executive level was worse than fast food restaurants and the beds were terribly uncomfortable. Would not stay there ever again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

DavidSchaum, General Manager at Hilton Virginia Beach Oceanfront, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. I would like to apologize for the negative experiences you encountered at the beginning of your stay, although we hope the rest of your time with us was enjoyable for you and your wife. Unfortunately, when our hotel is at full capacity, our bell services may have a longer wait time than usual. However, the incidents you described at our restaurant and Sky Bar are unacceptable and I am deeply sorry for that. I have shared all of your comments with our Depatment heads so that these issues can be addressed and corrected. Again, thank you for your valuable feedback we hope you give us another chance to better serve you in the future.
Baltimore, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

As the meeting planner, I was quite pleased with the service and condition of the facility, since it made for a very successful conference. It's too pricey for my personal wallet, but was worth the business dollar.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business

Potomac, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

This hotel is very nice. In addition to being on the beach, it has two pools (an outdoor one and an indoor heated one) as well as a hot tub on the top floor. Rooms that face away from the ocean (west) do not have a balcony - just about all others do. A very nice supermarket is within walking distance and a CVS is a block away. There is a gas station right next to the hotel, but gas is cheaper about a mile to the west on 22nd street. Outdoor performances take place at "Neptune's Park" next to the hotel and can get a bit loud at night. I'm rating this "very good" for value even though it is one of the more expensive hotels in the area because you do get a very good experience for what you pay.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

DavidSchaum, General Manager at Hilton Virginia Beach Oceanfront, responded to this review, August 13, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to submit a review regarding your recent stay. Our staff and I thank you for your gracious reviews. I am delighted that you enjoyed our facilities and guest service.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013 via mobile

We had a club level room and the staff was so warm and welcoming while we were waiting for our room to be cleaned. Would stay here many times! The food was great, pools were even better and we had an awesome view of the ocean on the balcony. Highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed June 2013
Richmond, VA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013 via mobile

Checked in today (Friday Aug 9th) with a series of disappointments for what we thought would be a high end trouble free weekend. Troubles started upon arrival when the valets and bellman couldn't find a cart to take our luggage, leaving us waiting curbside in the heat... They finally find a cart and we go inside, rooms not ready (it was only 1pm and checking is 4pm so we weren't surprised no problem). We headed to the hotel restaurant for lunch, had great views of the boardwalk, service was terrible. Lunch took 2 hours, and although the food was good, the waitress was forgetful and unattentive (they were not busy). She could not recall beers or wines from memory and never brought us the hot sauce we asked for our oysters. We finally decided to eat the oysters without the hot sauce because waiting any longer would have resulted in them getting too warm. Normally not a big deal, but when you draw it out over 2 hours it gets frustrating. Optimistic that the worst was behind us, we head to the roof top pool... They've made the best of a very small area and there is very limited seating. We found what looked like the last 2 lounge chairs.. There was a reason they were available, one was broken. I asked the pool attendant to look at it and he looked surprised like he was completely unaware of the issue. I looked nd the back of the chair was missing the support bars that you us to adjust the angle of the back of he chair. I could tell that this wasn't a "new" issue, the chair had been broken for awhile. To his credit, he called engineering go looked at it an left without doing anything... After hail another couple left and we were able to get some lounge chairs. Finally time to relax... If only I could get a drink. The SkyBar wa packed and there was only one waitress servicing the entire pool area (Samantha), rude and unattentive, I think her face would have broken if she tried to make eye contact and smile at a guest. I asked for her to come by and take an order when she had a chance and gave up after 45 minutes, I decided to wait in line at the bar. While I was doing that my wife went down and checked into our room. We have an oceanfront room on the 20th floor, Empyrean (club) level. Took her 30 minutes to get the bags from the bellman. Amazing considering the hotel is not that big and doesn't seem that busy. She finally rejoins me on the rooftop and wants to take a dip I the hot tub... It's warm,but no jets. Correction, there are a few "jets", but no bubbles and no real "jets", more like a big tub of warm water. I asked the pool attendant and got another complacent comment, "that's just the way it is". Overall a very disappointing start to what we thought would be a great weekend. We'be been to other Hilton's and Conrad's, and enjoy club levels at the Ritz, the Breakers, Four Seasons, among others and this property is not in the same category. Not the facility nor the service. I could overlook shortcomings of a facility if management trained the staff properly, but that's not the case here. At over $500 a night this is a big disappointment. Oh, and by the way, I've never been on a "Club" level with a cash bar, are you kidding me? Not a Hilton, and definitely not something Conrad would have been proud to put his name on. I don't think I could recommend this to others, reflecting back on what I've just written I'm surprised at how much I've put Dow on my first 6 hours, I hope I don't sound too picky. I normally don't take the time to write this much, but I'm really disappointed. Hope you don't make the same mistake.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your valuable feedback. We deeply apologize for the negative experience you encountered during your stay. It is our goal to have every guest leave our hotel more than satisfied and we are always disappointed when that is not the case. Unfortunately, when our hotel is at full capacity, our bell services may have a longer wait time than usual. We try to ensure a high level of excellence and comfort and apologize that your experience did not meet our normal standards. I have addressed the inattentive service that you experienced with Samantha and your comments with our management teams so that we can take corrective action to ensure satisfaction for our guests in the future.