“Very good oceanfront hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Stay 3 Nights, Save 20%
Ranked #29 of 114 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Virginia
“Very good oceanfront hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

I stayed here one night for business. Wish it could have been longer. Beautiful, newer hotel on the oceanfront and centrally located. Very nice rooms, very friendly staff. Breakfast was excellent. I'll return for personal visit when I'm here on vacation.

• Stayed June 2013
DavidSchaum, General Manager at Hilton Virginia Beach Oceanfront, responded to this review, June 21, 2013
We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us and for your kind words. We sincerely appreciate your business and hope you return to our facility in your future travels to the Hilton Virginia Beach Oceanfront Resort.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (200)
Midlothian
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

I have been a very frequent guest staying at the Hilton 10-12 times throughout each summer for the last several years. For the most part, I have always had a great stay. Over my last several trips, I decided to try the OceanAire Hotel. While I do love the OceanAire and there is plenty to rave about with that hotel, I decided to book my most recent stay back at the Hilton. I didn't realize how much I had missed this place.

Upon arrival, I was welcomed back to the hotel and the front desk staff were very friendly. I had requested early check in at the time of booking my reservation. The young man assisting me at the desk noted that my room was not ready, and they would call me later in the day when it was prepared. Much to my surprise, a very helpful young lady who was also working the desk happened to hear the conversation. She spoke up and said that she could get me in a room exactly as I had requested, but on a lower floor and asked if I would be interested. Yes, please!

I was registered and in my room at 10:00 a.m. I wish I had taken her name as I felt her service was exceptional (management, if you are reading this, she was working on the morning of 6/4 around 10:00 a.m. and really deserves to be commended for going above and beyond to help someone that she wasn't even assisting in the first place). Early check in to me is always appreciated, so thank you!

My room was in perfect order upon arriving. I always book the King Corner Oceanfront and the room was nice. The housekeeping was timely and friendly each and every day. I am not sure if this is something new, or if a refridgerator was left in my room from the previous guest, but this was a fantastic addition of something that has always been lacking from this hotel (the hotel has never had these standard in each room and charges per day for one to be brought in). It is nice to have a place to chill beverages and puts the hotel on equal footing with the other properties in the area. The lack of internet service without having to pay seems antiquated to me in this day and age, but not a deal breaker for me.

We pretty much had the pool area to ourselves which is a rarity as the pool area is very small. The service at the pool during the day is hit or miss. It truly depends on the waitress that is working. I have seen them standing around chatting at the bar and never once stopping taking orders from the guests, and I have seen them walking the pool area frequently offering to assist with drinks or lunch orders. On the first day, service was horrible, the second day it was great.

My only real complaint was with the breakfast bar. As a Hiltons Gold Member, breakfast is free to me, so it is hard to complain about something that is free (and appreciated). However, I do believe the breakfast bar could definitely use a facelift. The menu items are the same as they have been since I have been coming to the hotel and quite honestly, the food just isn't that good. On this particular trip, the hot food was barely lukewarm at best (and I arrived about 10 minutes after the opening, so food should have been at its peak of hot temperature). When I asked if the grits would be put out, I was told the cook messed them up (too runny) and he was working on them. About 15 minutes later, they came out, and literally, they were like water. The bacon was barely cooked, the biscuits were hard as rocks, just overall, not at all impressed with my dining experience this time around. Even with the "free" I would likely not eat there again without improvement. The large scale Marriott hotels do an amazing job with breakfast buffets, so I know Hilton can and should do better.

Overall, great stay and it felt good to be back at my home away from home :) Look forward to returning very soon.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
DavidSchaum, Manager at Hilton Virginia Beach Oceanfront, responded to this review, June 21, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay at our hotel. We sincerely appreciate your feedback and kind words. Your feedback concerning the food & beverage outlets are are being reviewed.
We certainly look forward to welcoming you back in your future travels to the Hilton Virginia Beach Oceanfront Resort.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

We have stayed at other hotels on VA Beach (Wyndham and Oceannaire) and the Hilton was our overall favorite. It is in a great location in the middle of VA Beach with a lot of amenities. The staff was great, even on a super busy weekend with tons of kids running around. Pool area was very nice although you can't bring your own drinks up there, you have to buy their over-priced drinks at Sky Bar.

A few negatives:
- Not all rooms have a fridge (is nice to keep stuff cold when you're at the beach)
- Had to wait over 7 minutes for an elevator when the hotel is at capacity
- Breakfast buffet was ok, convenient but there are better breakfast places for a better price within walking distance

Room Tip: Had a "street" view but still could see the beach and the ocean. Not necessary to pay extr...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
DavidSchaum, General Manager at Hilton Virginia Beach Oceanfront, responded to this review, June 13, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share with us your recent experience at our Hilton Virginia Beach Oceanfront Resort. It is my pleasure to know you enjoyed your stay with us; our goal to ensure every guest feels cared for, valued and respected. Please keep us in mind for any future travels, as we would love to welcome you back.
Athens, WV
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

Clean, beautiful beach with the best boardwalk. Great places to eat. People are nice and lots of Police to keep things under control. Just the right atmosphere for me. Families should be able to have a great time here without all the rif-raf associated with other beaches I've been to.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

DavidSchaum, General Manager at Hilton Virginia Beach Oceanfront, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to submit a review regarding your recent stay. Our staff and I thank you for your gracious reviews. I am delighted that you enjoyed our facilities and guest service. As always it is our goal to ensure every guest has a wonderful experience. Please keep us in mind on your future travels, as we would love to welcome you and your family back.
Pueblo, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

Awesome Beds, Clean rooms, GREAT Friendly service. WORTH EVERY PENNY...a must stay. When it comes to First Class this is the only place on Virgina Beach to stay...no others compare. Have stayed here 4 times and will continue to return.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

I am delighted that you enjoyed our facilities and guest service. As always it is our goal to ensure every guest has a wonderful experience. Please keep us in mind on your future travels, as we would love to welcome you back.
Princeton, West Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

We have stayed here a few times before, and it's always a pleasure. We were blessed to get a large corner room on the Honors level, and the room was spacious with a full oceanfront balcony. The bed was great & just an overall comfortable experience. Going the first week of June is a bonus, as we practically had the place to ourselves. The porter was very courteous and gracious & an asset to the staff. When we left, we missed a few items, which they followed up until everything was located and returned to us. We enjoyed a free buffet breakfast with our upgrade, and Catch 21 is always a fun place to eat. The service is courteous and helpful and the food is always great. It's a perfect place for beach access & frequently there are live bands in the Neptune Park, which is right next door. The music is over by 10, so no problem with disturbance. The boardwalk at VA Beach is exceptional, and we love going there.

Room Tip: Get a corner room if you can.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
DavidSchaum, General Manager at Hilton Virginia Beach Oceanfront, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience at our Resort; we sincerely value your loyalty and it is my pleasure to know taht you enjoyed your stay. Please keep us in mind for any future travels to the Hilton Virginia Beach Oceanfront Resort, as we would love to welcome you back.
Ashburn, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

Booked this property at the last minute for a short weekend gateway to the beach and was very much impressed. The hotel was very easy to find, clean, had nice size rooms, great staff and wonderful restaurants. We arrived way before allowed check-in time, and were kindly offered luggage storage, keys to the property amenities (pool, gym with changing rooms, etc) and were given water and towels for the beach. We checked into our room at 5:30 PM and were upgraded to the ocean front room. The room size was nice, of course the view was absolutely great, room had refrigerator, safe, bathrobes and nice toiletries. Had to call hotel service desk for one forgotten item, and it was delivered to room promptly.
We ate at Catch 31 for dinner and one of the nice features was the fact that if you are staying on the property, you can put your name on call ahead list, as oppose to waiting in line for your table (which on Sat night was about 60-75 min wait). This allowed us to enjoy glass of wine in our room while watching the waves and listening to the outdoor concert until our table was ready.
I have also purchased the room package that included breakfast buffet in Catch 31. The breakfast selection was good, but if you don't go with this approach, there is a Starbucks just on the next block, as well a lot of other little stores and cafes where you can grab something quick to eat.
Checkout was also very prompt and efficient, and once again we were given the opportunity to enjoy the property until our departure time of 5:30 pm with temporary keys. Staff throughout the property was very nice, helpful and did everything to make us feel at home. Valet / bell service desk was extra helpful and answered our every question.
The only reason why I did not give it an excellent rating, is the fact that they charge you for daily self parking (should be included in the price of the room), but I did not mind paying extra $16.00 for valet parking since it saved me a time and hassle. Also, the situation with the elevators is kind of ridiculous -- we had to wait for elevators for 10 minutes or more, since they took forever and were always full. After couple of times, I began to look at it as an extra opportunity to exercise by taking stairs to 16th floor room, but not everyone may feel the same, especially if they have small kids or unable to climb that many stairs. And of course another reason for the downgraded rating is the charge for WiFi. Seriously? Every motel on the way to VA Beach advertizes Free WiFi, but nice properties can't afford to provide its guests WiFi for free? I know that this is a corporate policy and management of this particular property has to follow it, but I just resent the fact that in this day and age you still have to charge your guests for such "luxury" feature. Just silly.
Overall I would not hesitate to stay in this property again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Our staff and I thank you for your kind comments. I am delighted that you enjoyed our facilities and guest service. As always it is our goal to ensure every guest has a wonderful experience. We look forward to welcoming you back in your future travels to the Hilton Virginia Beach Oceanfront Resort.

Been to Hilton Virginia Beach Oceanfront? Share your experiences!