“First time back since 2007” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #14 of 114 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Virginia
“First time back since 2007”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

Visited the Fairfield from August 5th to August 8th. I usually come to Virginia Beach at least once a year. I reserved a suite with 2 beds and a pull out couch oceanfront room. When I arrived, I looked for a place to park close to the door to check in. All the places were full. I had to drive up a couple of floors and then walk back down to check in. Please consider reserving a couple of the places close to the door for people checking in and when they get unloaded and checked in they can move their car to a higher floor. If you unload in the garage you will have to bring all your stuff through the garage to the front door because you won't be able to access your room from the garage.
Check in was good and the room was clean. The staff is very friendly. My room was on the 7th floor. The breakfast was good and I didn't have any problems finding a seat. I usually went about 7:30AM. The door that goes to the beach is always locked and you have to use your key to get in. This maybe due to the homeless people that have took over the benches and are living there 24-7. I like to sit out on the boarwalk after dark. If you want to do this, you are going to have to find some benches further down the boardwalk.
Every year I check the rates of several hotels on the beach and usually stay where I can find the best deal. If the rates are good next year I would stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Randy S, Front Desk Supervisor at Fairfield Inn & Suites Virginia Beach Oceanfront, responded to this review, August 10, 2013
Dec1000,

I’m glad you decided to return to our property! We take our guest’s reviews seriously and I see that you are an avid reviewer of hotels and I’m delighted that you gave our hotel high remarks. I will share your comments with the rest of the staff at the hotel for review. I believe it is important for us to look at reviews such as yours to help improve the hotel. I apologize that during your stay the homeless people where in front of our property, we have since decreased their presence greatly with the help of the city. We are glad you found our hotel to be the best deal this year and hope you return to us next year when you visit Virginia Beach, we would be grateful to have you.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
Manchester, New Hampshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

I think it may be the best hotel for the money on the strip. All rooms are ocean front. Rooms are clean and in nice shape. There's an indoor pool and free breakfast. We came during peak season and still paid well under $300 a night.

The Hotel is in just the right spot. Close enough to walk to the action on both the northern and souther ends of the strip.

It's not a five because of breakfast and the pool. The pool is over chlorinated and a little small. The breakfast area is not big enough to accommodate the number of guests they have. However, these are the only real complaints you could have and the reality is the property would have to be bigger to fix these things.

The property is in good shape, it's clean, the staff is friendly, etc. etc. This is our second stay in three years and we plan to stay here again next time we visit VB.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Nope46186,

Thank you for reviewing our hotel after your recent stay. I'm happy to hear you found our hotel in good shape, clean, and the staff friendly. I apologize that you found the chemical levels in the pool high.We have our pool chemical levels checked multiple times throughout the day in order to guarantee a clean and safe pool for our guests. We are happy that you continue to pick our property when you travel to Virginia Beach and look forward to your future visits.
Franklin, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

A frequent visitor to Virginia Beach, this was the first time we'd stayed in this hotel. The room we were booked in was very nice though a little small for a family of 5 but we were used to this and knew how to make it work and the staff was very helpful from the point of arrival. The free HOT breakfast was really good and there were great choices. There were some challenges because it gets pretty busy around 8AM for breakfast and the staff can't keep up with the number of people coming through...so we found ourselves either doing breakfast very early or waiting in long lines for them to replenish food. In my opinion, the hotel might want to consider asking visitors to limit their post meal socializing during breakfast time because of the limited space for people to eat. Many people were standing around with nowhere to sit for breakfast...but we worked it out.

We did have an issue in our room which was on the top floor. Our ceiling was leaking some brown gunk and we noticed it the night we checked in - the next morning we reported it to the desk and they got someone right on it. When we got back from the beach about 5 hours later, the room had been cleaned and the leak patched. I also got a call from the property manager apologizing for the inconvenience and she also promised me that she would handle any further issues and also compensate me additional Marriott points for the trouble. I was satisfied with the response. Unfortunately that evening, the room was leaking again and the gunk was all over the place again. I went back down and reported it again and asked was there an option to move me to another room. The attendant at the desk offered to get me a response from the manager the next morning. When I went down to breakfast that morning, I stopped by the desk and was informed that they would move us to another room and in fact moved us to a suite at no additional cost to us.

This was already a great place to stay and I've never had such a severe issue with any hotel I've stayed in as a frequent business traveler - so I was in a new place with this, but what made my stay even better was the attentiveness and willingness from every member of the staff to make things right where it could have been a damper on my family vacation. I even got a follow up letter from them after my stay just thanking me for my business and offering to be there for us for future vacations.

Nice clean hotel, great staff...if you're considering it and need an opinion...I say book it!

Room Tip: EVERY room is oceanfront with great views and the location is awesome for entertainment on the board...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Randy S, Front Desk Supervisor at Fairfield Inn & Suites Virginia Beach Oceanfront, responded to this review, August 5, 2013
thenry67,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. Our staff appreciates feedback from our guests and uses it to help us improve upon our service. I understand how felt the breakfast was crowded. We've recently taken steps to improve upon our complementary breakfast experience. We have extended our times, allowing guests to have more time in the morning to eat and avoid a rush. Additionally, we have been placing breakfast bags out for our guests on the busier days of the week. These bags are for our guests who are on-the-go and include a bottle of water, fresh fruit, and a muffin. Ideas like these stem from feedback given from our guests. I'm also happy to hear our staff took such great care of your issues you incurred during your stay. Unexpected incidents can happen and I'm glad you are satisfied with how our staff tended to your situation. We look forward to your return to our property.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013 via mobile

This is our first stay here. We checked in and was given a 1 st floor room with a handicap shower only. Since we had little kids we needed a tub. In 5 min we were upgraded to the 8th floor King. The front desk staff was truley great. As a Gold member of Marriott that service meant a lot. It is a great value vacation and the hotel is perfect. Food in am is great. Pool access is easy. We left our stuff there a few times (not valuables) to go in the hotel and come back. We are already planning out next trip!

• Stayed July 2013
Randy S, Front Desk Supervisor at Fairfield Inn & Suites Virginia Beach Oceanfront, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
Jay780

Our staff is delighted to hear you enjoyed your first stay with us. I’m glad to hear our staff was able to switch rooms in order to better accommodate your needs during your stay. Our staff truly cares about the needs and requests of our guests. We are excited to hear you are planning your next trip with us!
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

Nice beach! However there were colonies of homeless folks on the boardwalk outside our balcony making the stay both interesting and depressing to an extent! Not this hotels fault of course! We enjoyed renting bikes and local restaurants overlooking the beach and boardwalk !

• Stayed July 2013
Randy S, Front Desk Supervisor at Fairfield Inn & Suites Virginia Beach Oceanfront, responded to this review, July 27, 2013
Thank you for your review of your stay with us. We’re pleased to hear that you enjoyed your trip and the local area during your stay. I’m glad you enjoyed the view from your room. Every room faces the ocean and has a balcony, so be assured your next visit with us will have another great view!
I understand that seeing homeless people during your stay can make you feel uncomfortable and we are working with local authorities to reduce the presence their presents around our property. We look forward to your return to our property in the near future.
Silver Spring, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

This is my 3rd visit and I was not disappointed. I had a great time as usual. The staff is always friendly and accommodating. I appreciate that they extended the breakfast hours as well as offer breakfast bags to go. My only suggestion is to upgrade the towels.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Randy S, Front Desk Supervisor at Fairfield Inn & Suites Virginia Beach Oceanfront, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
Chocolatechip34,

Thank you for your review and for continuing to choose our property when you visit Virginia Beach. I’m pleased to hear you’ve taken notice to our recent improvements such as the extended breakfast hours and the breakfast-to-go bags we’ve been giving out to our guest who are on-the-go. As for the towels, I’m happy to report we have started the process of replacing them already. We look forward to your 4th Visit!
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013 via mobile

Great location, great view, friendly staff. Breakfast was nice but very crowded. lemon water in the lobby a nice refreshing touch. the beach wash off station in front of the hotel was not working but that is probably a city problem. We enjoyed the beach, rode our bikes, hopped on the bus to dinner at Rudee Inlet one night, walked the strip, watched the street entertainment, and fireworks show on the beach. Very nice get away for my husband and I.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Randy S, Front Desk Supervisor at Fairfield Inn & Suites Virginia Beach Oceanfront, responded to this review, July 20, 2013
letstrvlmore,

Thank you for you review of our property. It sounds like you had a perfect beach vacation. Our hotel is centrally located which made it easy for you to access nearby restaurants, bike rentals, and watch the fireworks right from the hotel room. As for the rinse of station in front of our property, I apologize it was not working during your stay, the city was notified and it is now running properly.

Thank you again for your review! Our staff loves hearing stories from our guests, it not only makes us proud but motivates us to continue giving out the best service possible.