“5* just for the location & price” 5 of 5 stars

Blue Marlin Motel
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   2411 Pacific Avenue, Virginia Beach, VA 23451   |
Ranked #78 of 114 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Feasterville, Pennsylvania
“5* just for the location & price”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

This was my 3rd trip to Virginia Beach in as many years and I have paid more than $150/night for 2 star hotels in the past. This time I booked with the Blue Marlin Motel- was skeptical in the beginning due to the mixed and very few reviews but I can say it was well worth the stay.

Its a very small Motel with few rooms , just one block from the beach. I- the check-in was quick, just took under a minute, Our room was on the ground floor.

Room: the room consisted of 2 double beds, a large apartment style refrigerator, and a kitchenette, a TV with a good number of cable channels, and AC with thermostat stuck at 60 degrees. So in the middle of the night I had to get up to switch it off as it made the room very cold. The room does not have any kind of hangers. As I read this detail in one of the previous reviews, I had brought my own door hangers which proved very useful. If you are planning to stay in this hotel and coming with kids make sure you bring hangers or you will have no place to hang your clothes.
The bed was nice to sleep on- I am in my late 20s and I did not have any problem because of the bed. Now, wanted to point out something that many other reviews would find it a cause of concern while selecting a hotel- the bed comforters had many cigarette burn holes on them, made by previous travelers. you might want to consider this while selecting this hotel. I can understand that it is hard to control the type of travelers you rent your rooms to.

Pool: I never used it but this hotel has a small pool which I saw many people using it , and the hotel staff cleaned it daily in the evening. So, it seemed very clean.

Location and price of the Hotel: this Motel is located just one block from the beach, there is a 711 right across the street where you can buy ice or alcohol. the motel does not have an ice machine so you will have to buy it. I paid less than $150 for 2 nights total. so it was well worth to disregard some of the flaws of this motel.

I would definitely recommend this place, if you are someone who can overlook some of the flaws that I have mentioned, over the location and price.

Room Tip: Bring a clothesline/ hanger.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Roanoke
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

Had a bad experience our first night at Virginia Beach at the Travelodge at 1909 Atlantic Ave., stayed one night and checked out. Had stayed at the Blue Marlin on a previous occasion so went there to get a room for remainder of stay. Staff was friendly and accomodating on such short notice. Everything that we needed we were either handed it right on the spot or someone brought it to our room within just a few minutes. Rooms were clean and newly remodeled. Bathroom was spacious, bed was comfortable and for the most part it was pretty quiet. It's not oceanfront, but is within walking distance of many restuarants and stores. I would definitely stay here again on my next trip. Don't stay at the Travelodge, it's dirty and staff is rude.

Room Tip: I would highly recommend this hotel
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Stephens City, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

We stayed at the Blue Marlin twice in the past, when it was owned by a different family. Back then it was kitschy but comfortable and friendly. Now it has new owners and they have cut everything to the bone. The rooms are recently renovated and clean, have the usual amenities including an iron and ironing board but...NO HANGERS OR EVEN A BAR TO HANG CLOTHES ON!! Not even a hook on the bathroom door! Free WiFi is offered but we could not get any of their four servers to connect in the room. I could connect if I stood outside, near the office..... Traffic is intended to enter the lot from Pacific Avenue, go through the lot to the garage, and exit the garage to a side street. Problem is, the end of the garage has a locked gate so you have to make a 3 point turn if parked in the garage and hope no one else is trying to come in from the street! Also, the garage has lights but they were never turned on....very dark at night. Good notes: the room was clean, maid service cleaned every day, the floor is tile, not carpet so it is easy to see that it is kept up. The AC unit kept an even temperature and was not noisy. Although not BM's fault, Navy aircraft were constantly landing and taking off from Oceana Naval Air Base, very loud...

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Sewell, New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

Upon arrival we went to the office and processed our paperwork. We had made the arrangements through cheaptickets.com. We were given a key card and we proceeded to our room. When we opened the door we were greeted by two unmade beds and empty beer and wine cooler bottles strewn about the room. We went right back to the office and told them we were leaving. The manager want to show us another room but we weren't interested. The manager said that he wouldn't refund our money because we did not take the other room. We will deal with the charges through the card holder if the charges should appear on our statement. My advice is to check out the room before handing over your credit card. I should have known that the place was a rat trap after seeing only two cars in the parking lot when we arrived and only a few any time we passed during our three day stay.

Room Tip: Avoid this place like the plague.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Plymouth Meeting, PA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

This review will probably echo many others. Upon my arrival, I was greeted by a big pile of broken furniture in the parking lot. The reception room smelled strongly of food. After checking in, I was directed to a covered parking area, similarly cluttered with furniture and toilet boxes.

While the room had been newly decorated, it appeared that the electrical was unfinished, or just poorly finished. Strangely warped outlet covers are a bit scary. Also, while the dresser looked new, the bottom handle was just hanging off, missing one of the screws. Otherwise the room was clean.

We only had 2 sets of towels in the room, so I sent my daughter to get the other 2. She was told at the front desk to go to a room in the other building and ask for them. Upon finding nobody there, she went back to the front desk and was given towels there. Only bath towels--no face towels or washcloths.

The next day we were out of the room until evening, but came back to find that we had no maid service, and therefore no dry towels.

At checkout, again, strong smell of food. When asked about my stay, I informed the woman at the desk that we'd had no maid service. She just shrugged and handed me my receipt.

While the price of this room was extraordinarily low through booking.com, I'd rather pay a little more for basic services. No wifi, no in-room coffee, no maid service... no return visit.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Maryland, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

For the price and the location, it wasn't too terrible. BUT - the Wifi wasn't working, only left one roll of toilet paper,No maid daily service; no ice maker; electricity went off twice in the morning. Pool was outside; karaoke party across the street - very lound!!! However, the room was recently updated...quite nice. No closets, either.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Arlington, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

The room was clean and odor-free. Good location, close to beach and restaurants. Had to park in a garage area cluttered with old tv stands and other broken furniture.

Office smelled very strongly of curry. Some deficiencies in the room:

· no toilet paper (though I could "come and get some" in the office)--and then the toilet-roll dispenser broke,

· two broken drawer handles,

· no electrical outlet covers,

· no blanket (but "come and get one" in the office),

· heater blew open curtains,

· soap fell apart upon opening.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo

Been to Blue Marlin Motel? Share your experiences!