“Major Fail” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Sundial Inn Motel and Efficiency

You added Sundial Inn Motel and Efficiency to your Saves list
Sundial Inn Motel and Efficiency
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   308 21st Street, Virginia Beach, VA 23451 (Northeast Virginia Beach)   |
Ranked #79 of 112 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Woodbridge, Virginia, United States
“Major Fail”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2012

For such a good location, this place is disgusting. I knew something was up when I first pulled up and saw the demographic that was hanging out of their doors - kind of scary shall we say. Now I'm not a crusty upperclass person, but I do have some standards, and the Sun Dial falls way short of them. Sort of made me think of what an abonded crack house might look like. The small pool by the dumpster is a joke, no one was in it during July 4 week. The room was disgusting - dirty, dank, and old. Our lock didn't work at first, which is evidently a common occurance. There was a greasy disposable tin left in the oven from when a previous tenant evidently cooked some of those frozen hamburgers that you buy at the grocery store. I took my wife and son to this aberration- never again. Better suited for not-well-to-do folks and 20-something guys who don't care where they stay - families beware. A nice enough staff could not make up for the fact that you'll get the heeby jeebies just from staying here.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank Ron G

Stuarts Draft, Virginia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2012

Memorial Weekend Sunday. No reservations need. I called ahead For availabilities 4 hours ahead and price. Double Queen/ 3 adults, 1 night. $199.00 plus tax was the quote. We drove 5 hours and traffic was crazy beach side and pedestrians crowding every inch of sidewalk. We stop at 1 hotel and they had King Suite with fold out couch for $350.00. I counted out 350.00 cash and they then wanted a credit card for a deposit of $100.00, I said we can't use credit card, could I just give cash, response was a polite no, so I said if I doubled it and didn't requirer refund they still said no. So they give up $550.00 for 3 50ish Christian adults, I being a Minister. (so we don't use ministry cards for personal charges). So back to traffic and 90 degree heat. 1 block away I saw Sundial Inn and even had address still in pocket from 5 hours before. So I enter and they no longer had Double Queen/ 3 adults, 1 night, but they had an efficiency King size and fold out couch, and would be happy to rent for same quoted price. I got room and my wife and I and a church friend walked in to room and it was great, beautiful paint choose and great deco, clean kitchenette with dishes and cookware, coffe maker, blender, micro, toaster, iron and iron board, hair dryer, safe.granite counter tops and a stand at granite counter bar. beautiful furniture. We called down for linen for couch and they responded to door within 5 minutes. We dealt with 3 nationalities and everyone was so polite and courteous. So a high dollar fancy beachside hotel turned down $550.00 and all the revenue of a pricy dinner for 3 and tipping and morning spa for 2 and rental of all beach reqired stuff like chairs, lounges, umbrella, large 4 wheel family bike and parking fees. And this 1 block off beach gave us free parking, same size suite and wonderful hospitality for a meer $216.00 after tax. we started with a $1000.00 was willing to spend all and went home with $700.00. we are plannig another trip next month and will plan ahead and diffenently use Sundial Inn again and this time we are staying for 3 days. Thanks Sundial Inn.

Room Tip: small quaint King efficiency room, great deco and design, dark, subtle. air. room 101, perfect for s...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Jay S
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2012

the hotel owner very rude and unprofessional,while i was in my room 2 men working there eneterd my room with no annoucment 3 times sayin they were checking the locks.the after a day at the beech no running water for at least 5 hrs . elevator jumped and kept getting stuck, room stunk had to call police to get refund and board of health and fire marshall had to come said they were shutting hotel down, not sure if they did cause i left, I would not recommend this place to anyone, stayin at the beach would of been much better, and hotel staff was not even tellong the guest that the whole hotel had no running water as they were checking in, very rude staff and owner.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank bobbijo b

Travelers are raving about these Virginia Beach hotels

Rochester, New York, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2012

I had a horrible experience with this Hotel. Our first room reeked of cigarette smoke (non-smoking room) making my spouse and I feel very ill. We were moved around 3 more times until they finally gave us a room that didn't smell and actually had working lights, etc. The beds were rock hard, and we were given very small thin pillows that were horribly uncomfortable. The water took about ten minutes to get hot for the shower and then abruptly changed back to cold mid-shower. Construction seemed to surround the hotel at all times making sleep impossible. Walls were paper thin and you could clearly hear any conversation in the room next door. Would not stay here again!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Elizabeth G
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2012

Nice staff, excellent location! The weekly price is very affordable.

• Stayed March 2012
2 Thank Rolando5000
Louisville, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2011

I stayed in this Hotel in June 2011. I had stayed in a ocean front hotel for two days then decided to stay longer,. I found a hotel coupon book . I got this room for $40.00. It was nicer than the ocean front room . VERY VERY clean. Some of the reviews were awful and unfair. I enjoyed my stay and would reccommend this room. It was only two blocks from the beach. May be visiting this Hotel again in 2012.

Room Tip: Rooms were VERY VERY Clean. I left a $$ Tip
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
3 Thank coverd1
Huntington, West Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2011

this place was a couple blocks from the beach easy acess to everything the price was affordable and the staff was friendly and helpful the rooms were cleaned daily and if we needed extra towels they were provided without hassle i highly recommend staying here as it is a great location and a great price we will be staying here when we return to visit the beach

Room Tip: any room is fine we liked the 3rd floor for the view
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple