“Dockside a Disappointment” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Dockside Seafood Market & Mrna

Dockside Seafood Market & Mrna
3311 Shore Dr, Virginia Beach, VA 23451 (Northeast Virginia Beach)
(757) 481-4545
Neighborhood: Northeast Virginia Beach
Virginia
“Dockside a Disappointment”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

This is my second time dining at Dockside Seafood Market and Marina. I was there the week before Hurricane Sand on this visit.. I was there a couple of years ago on a trip to Virginia Beach and looked forward to eating there again on this trip.
Again, for clarity, I am a 58 year old, professional woman who loves to travel and was meant to live in the Caribbean but I seem to be stuck in Virgnia, aw, I digress.
The wait staff was fine, no issues, this was the week before Hurricane Sandy hit and it's obviously not season in VA. Beach.but there were what appeared to be a lot of locals there on the evening I visited. We sat outside on the dock on the picnic benches as it was a nice evening.
I was with a friend that I travel with a lot. I ordered the nightly special, the rockfish and asked for it to be broiled. My friend ordered some sort of platter. We had no appetizers and no alcohol. The rockfish arrived and I swear it looked poached, not broiled. The french fries were lukewarm and not very tasty. I do have to say that I considered sending the fish back, something I rarely do but I did not. Later I wished that I had. It was perhaps the worst fish I've ever eaten or looked at. Slightly gray, like poached fish which I find disgusting.
I will not eat here again and am truly disappointed in Dockside. There are too many restaurants in VA Beach to choice from, try Big Sam's but that's another review which will be better.

• Visited October 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

North Carolina
“Local 'plates”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

I always pick a place by how many local license plates there are in the parking lot. We were camping at nearby First Landing State Park when our group decided to check out the local establishments. Dockside looked interesting and popular. You walk into the fish market first because the restaurant is out back on the water! The service was very good, the wait staff was knowledgable and attentive. The seafood (fish, crab and oysters) was very good, local and fresh. The sunset view from the deck overlooking the Lynnhaven bay reminded some of us of Florida. Very nice visit, we'll be back.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Lake Tahoe
“Crabcakes For Lunch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

Visiting Virginia from the West Coast, I really wanted a good Crabcake. The Locals took me to their favorite lunch place, Dockside. The ambiance is great, on the water by the marina so you can watch the boats. The restaurant is large and spacious with rustic and relaxed interior, the service was quick and friendly. Dockside has a crabcake as an appetizer or as a sandwich, which comes with a side. You can order the sandwich without the bun and that is what I would recommend, this crabcake does not need it. Large and made with lump crab, it tasted just right. There was time to go here twice during my visit, and it was perfect each time. I ordered my crabcake broiled, you can also get it fried. My companions ordered the tuna and they really enjoyed that, either broiled or blackened with spices.
I wasn't too impressed with the sides, they were standard fare, although appeared made in the kitchen. We tried an order of hushpuppies which I also enjoyed; although someone else objected to the whole corn kernels in them, I thought it was a nice addition.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Nice surprise”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

We chose this restaurant based on other reviews. It is a bit unusual in that it is combined with a seafood market and marina. We were a bit unsure at first having to walk through the seafood market to get to the restaurant and when beer came in a plastic cup. But we were hungry so we stayed. What a nice surprise. The views were nice and the food was great! I had stuffed shrimp that were just full of wonderful lump crabmeat stuffing with hardle any filler. Hubby had the Lynn Haven oysters on the half shell which he really enjoyed followed by steamed clams and shrimp. All were very good. It's a bit noisy in the evening. It's a popular place with the locals. We liked it so much we came back for a second visit a few days later and even stopped by one day to pick up a dozen boiled crabs- they steam them while you wait- for lunch one day.

Suffolk, Virginia
“Freshest Seafood at the Beach”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

You will not find a better seafood resturant than the Dockside within 50 miles. Their food is the freshest and best prepared in this area. We love going here even though its a 45 minute run from home. Well worth the trip to enjoy some of the finest crab cakes on the Eastern Seaboard, perfectly cooked. Nice lump crabmeat with very little filler. Oysters Rockafeller...OMG! What a supreme delight! Calamari that is tender and lightly breaded...a feast for the palete. And most importantly, the fresh caught fish of the day....the Rockfish will melt in your mouth...not rubbery or dried out and overdone as in most of our local restaurants. I can detect a frozen fish from a mile away and you won't find such a travesty in this establishment. Did I mention their steamed shrimp are the best in town??? You can take this to the bank....large, juicy and perfectly spiced! Wait staff is awesome and right on point with the customers. Not a pretentious restaurant, but more layed back and easy going with a rustic, fishing village type decor. Certainly one of the top 3 locals restaurants.

• 5 of 5 stars Food