“An Actual Restaurant, not just Take Out” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Delivery
Dining options: Delivery
Norfolk, VA
“An Actual Restaurant, not just Take Out”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

It’s getting rare to find a Chinese restaurant that offers a dining room, unless it’s one of those mega-buffet places. This restaurant offers a casual dining space in a space separate from their busy take out counter. It’s a fairly generic space, but it’s a welcome respite when you want Chinese food out. The staff was friendly. The portions are large and taste good. It’s a place worth finding.

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Somewhere, NC
“Typical Chinese takeout close to resort area”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

We had a taste for chinese take out, so we looked for a restaurant close to the condo we were staying in. The reviews were decent, so we decided to give it a go. Ordered 2 order of Chicken wings, beef and broccoli, sweet and sour chicken, egg rolls, crab rangoon, veggie lo mein, and mongolian beef. PLENTY of food to eat and leftovers for later. The mongolian beef was decent, but lacked flavor. Everything else was very good. Fed 5 of us easily. $56.00.

• Visited August 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Virginia Beach, VA, USA
“Good chinese food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

Wonderful hot and sour soup and I've had it in lots of places. Lots of choices on the menu. The food is always very fresh. Wine is OK, but not unusual for Chinese restaurants that wine is not top notch. Lacking in atmosphere as most folks do take out.

Visited January 2012
Virginia Beach, VA
“One of My Favorite Chinese Restaurants In The Oceanfront/Hilltop Area”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2009

I've lived in the Oceanfront/Hilltop area for over a decade and Mei Zhen has been a consistent favorite of mine. One of the things I love about it most is their weekend hours. I frequently forget to eat dinner until I look up at the clock and notice it's 10PM already. Mei Zhen is open until 10:30PM on Fridays and Saturdays and 10PM for the rest of the week. Even though I call up 15 minutes before they close, they are still gracious and my food tastes fantastic.

Mei Zhen is the kind of business that remembers its repeat customers as well. Over the years I've cut back on pork in my diet and asked them to leave it out of the dish I usually order from them. One night I was in a hurry and forgot to mention it when I ordered, yet when I got home they had cooked it without the pork for me. I found that to be such a blessing. I can't promise that same service to everyone as I've been going there as long as I've lived here, but it's nice to know a business who cares enough about it's customers to have their back like that.

I've never actually eaten in the restaurant itself, but it's a casual place and one of my favorites.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
portsmouth va
“No mustard from Mei Zhen”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2008

This restaurant does offer good food. But, they are really out to lunch with their selfishness about their "Chinese Spicy Mustard." If you order six appetizers (to go) and you specifically ask for a couple of the plastic containers of spicy mustard....heaven forbid you dare to ask for say three or four. Well, they act like we just threw a grenade through their window. Anyway, they did not give us ANY mustard with our extensive order of the appetizers. I will never order take out from them again!!! I guess you have to sit in the shabby setting to really get to the mustard.

VERY DISAPPOINTING OVERALL....what is the big deal about the mustard?