“Not impressed” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Sea Gull Inn Oceanfront

Save Saved
You added Sea Gull Inn Oceanfront to your Saves list
Sea Gull Inn Oceanfront
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   2613 Atlantic Avenue, Virginia Beach, VA 23451 (Northeast Virginia Beach)   |
Ranked #70 of 115 Hotels in Virginia Beach
“Not impressed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

We drove for 8 hours to get to the beach. When arriving, there was NO where to park. The hotel had very limited parking, like 15 spaces, four for handicap. They do have a parking lot a block and a half away. Not impressed at all. The room was way overpriced for what we received. The bathroom tiles were dirty. The coffee maker did not work properly. Beds were not comfortable. Very dingy room for the price The front staff not friendly or helpful. Would not refer anyone to this hotel.....

Room Tip: Stay on the upper floors or better yet, pick a different hotel....
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012 via mobile

First and foremost, the location of the hotel is fantastic. It is right in the middle of all the atlantic avenue attractions and a short walk to shops, restaurants, and the fishing pier. Hotel staff was friendly and housekeeping was attentive. We had a king suite with an oceanfront view that was spectacular, however we did not have a balcony. room and bathroom was a little small and needed updating but it was still more than sufficient. Roof top sundeck, hot tub, and pool are nice features. After reading reviews I expected the parking situation to be ridiculous but the auxillary lot is only like a block away. I had a great stay and would stay again.

• Stayed August 2012
Crescent Springs, Kentucky
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

After driving 12 hours and looking forward to staying at the Sea Gull Inn, Va Bch, we get there and find after checking in there is no parking spots on site. At check in I was charged for future nights of stay. They were quick to run my card and your thinking you are signing for the hotel stay where you are really SIGNING AWAY ALL YOUR RIGHTS. I've never heard of being charged before you stay. Should have been tipped off then. The guy pointed across the street for parking as I had discovered there were no opening in the lot the office was located. VERY MISLEADING, after driving across the street and not finding signage we looked further only to discover it was across the street and across another street, plus a main thoroughfare and another partial block behind what appears to be an abandoned building or under construction with barbed wire fence. Oh now that makes you feel safe, right.
To add insult I returned to the office to voice my concern that I did not feel safe I would be commuting in the evening. The manager refused to refund the first night. To my dissatisfaction about the parking and after re-assessing I noticed a strip of bicycles along the edge of lot and 2 large bikes in the last parking spot closest to the beach. I asked if he could move the bikes to accommodate parking. The manager said no, I then asked "are the bikes more important that your patrons" his reply was "yes, those bikes bring in more than $100,000.00 a year". Thank you FNM, classic!
The next morning I called Bookings, com, bottom line Sea Gull Inn says Bookings.com would have to give refund, Bookings.com says it's Sea Gull Inn's decision. Even more interesting Bookings.com was told by Sea Gull Management they never have on site parking for patrons of Sea Gull Inn they always had to park offsite. Well, if you look at the Sea Gull Inn website unless they have changed since I made hotel arrangements iand filed this complaint t clearly states under " Enjoy what we have to offer.... On-site parking & auxillary lot 1 1/2 blocks away. We never made it to the room, if they were anything like the visit with the front desk and the parking I say, KEEP LOOKING, WHAT YOU SEE IS NOT ALWAYS WHAT YOU GET and absolutely DO NOT SIGN ANYTHING. The hotel down the street was more than happy to accommodate our needs and guess what, it was cheaper than Sea Gull Inn.

Thank you for allowing me to voice my concerns to any future victims, oh I'm sorry patrons.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Sarasota, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012

Sea Gull Inn was a disappointment. The guy on check-in seemed "very uninterested". He was not a "people person" and offered nothing including a friendly invite. They have very little parking on-site and even though we had a "handicapped" situation, he only had parking 1 1/2 blocks away for the motel. Oceanfront room was not worth it. Much upgrading is needed. Very small balcony, also. No continental breakfast is offered and the two times I checked the am coffee was out. These managers do not pay attention to the details travellers enjoy. The indoor pool was dirty and needed cleaning. I guess they fill up just because it is a beach front property. We are looking elsewhere for our next visit next year.

Room Tip: Oceanfront not worth the extra money.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Fleetwood, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

This hotel offers all the amenities of its pricier neighbors except parking. The rooms are ok - a bit dated but serviceable. If all you want is a place to sleep and a refrigerator that works, then this is where to stay. The indoor pool and hot tub were a bonus. If only the other guest would find somewhere other than the common balcony to smoke, it would have been better.

Room Tip: If you don't mind spending extra and are not a smoker, go with the private balcony with the beac...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Washington, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

This place sucks major! The rooms are small and the walls are so thin! The peeps in the room next door were drinking on the balcony and smoking pot .. We were getting high off the secondhand smoke! The other guests were doing the flying squirrel. The pungo witch opera sucks! And the bike rentals costs too much and you lose your wallet while riding! The pool smells like bleachy toliet! Total waste of money. The location is prime for the beach though. Only plus.

Room Tip: Stay in another hotel.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

First impression, the hotel is in a great location. It's a very convenient to get to the beach and all stores, restaurants etc.
The hotel staff isn't very welcoming when checking in to the hotel. From working in the hospitality field myself, we were always taught to welcome our guest and make our guest feel welcomed.
There was minimal parking at the hotel but luckily enough we were able to get a spot, because someone else was leaving.
Before entering the elevator, there is a sign that says " We do not recommend king of the sea restaurant" Which is weird because it's right across the street of the hotel.
After getting to our room, I was kind of disappointed in how much we paid for the room, and what we received for over $200 per night. The balcony and the view from the balcony in the room was honestly the only thing nice about the room. But then again we paid for the oceanfront room. The room decor was very dated, and could use some modern updating. Our room had ants in the bathroom, which was gross. We called the front desk, and the front desk agent had brought us a can of ant spray, which made the floor sticky. We were tired after a long drive and just wanted to go to bed. After the ant issue, we just wanted to go to sleep. I was surprised the bed was extremely hard and uncomfortable. After some tossing and turning, We eventually fell asleep.
The next day, we were awoke with a knock on our door, by a man who was wearing jeans. I assumed he was a guest, but he was an employee! He didn't have a name tag, and caught me off guard because he didn't look like someone who worked for the hotel. We had breakfast at the hotel the next morning which was decent, but later on in the day we had ordered appetizers and they were WAY over priced.
I got mozzarella sticks and they were $8 bucks plus tax. We decided not to go back to the restaurant during the remaining of our stay.

Our 2nd day we spend a majority of the day at the beach and hotel pool. The pool is in despite need of repair and maintenance. The floor is warped, and is easy to trip over. The pool also has cracks where you can see alge growing in.

I personally wouldn't recommended staying at this hotel. There are plenty of other choices even if you are spending more $ it's worth having a better night sleep...this hotel needs to be better taken care of...and have staff that actually cares about their clients.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Sea Gull Inn Oceanfront? Share your experiences!