“NOT Forbidden City,But That's OK” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Cuisines: Chinese
Virginia Beach, Virginia
“NOT Forbidden City,But That's OK”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

Located in the space that was once occupied by Smackwater Jacks for 30 years is Forbidden PALACE. It's certainly in the neighborhood of the old Forbidden City, only 4 doors down, but it's different ownership.
The food is excellent and the prices are reasonable. Lunch is less than $10. I had the Pork Fried Rice special with Egg Drop Soup, only $8. The menu has a wide arrange of regional Chinese dishes and some Americanized versions.
The service is good and the restaurant is well done. There's lots of royal red.

• Visited November 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Richmond, Virginia, United States
“Very Good Chinese”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

My wife and I each had a great meal at the Forbidden Palace Restaurant. I had Egg Foo Young and she had Szechuan Chicken. Each was flavored with a balance of spices and quite savory.

This is in the same building as the former Forbidden City restaurant but a few doors away. We understand that it is owned by a relative of the owner of Forbidden City. We liked that restaurant and find Forbidden Palace of the same quality.

The decore was good and the price was also quite reasonable

• Visited September 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Virginia Beach, Virginia
“New place is great - trendy bar”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

Forbidden Palace has had a long awaited opening. We always enjoyed "Forbidden City" and were so happy that we have another great Chinese restaurant in the neighborhood. Having spent months living in Singapore, we know how good Chinese food should taste and be served with total sophistication.

Tried the soft shell crab - differently prepared and served - light as air breading and saute. Other meals were excellent but most especially the soups. Service very good and overall experience was all good.

We will return often.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Virginia Beach, Virginia
“Food varies from very good to not so good. Service was outstanding.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

Food:
Dumpling appetizer: flavorless and terrible wrapper. Much too thick. Sauce was bland also. F.
Orange flavor beef: excellent, tender beef; sauce well spiced; beef should have been crispier. B+
Triple Mandarin: excellent shrimp and chicken - tender and perfectly cooked. vegetables perfect - fresh and cooked just right. beef was a disappointment especially compared with orange flavor - tough. B+.

Service was excellent. Debbie was attentive and helpful. We weren't seated at the bar but the bartender (whose name I didn't get) looked over at the table, saw that my club soda was almost empty and brought another (complete with limes). When Debbie came to ask if I needed a refill I said that the bartender had done it without even being asked. She said that was normal. A.

Overall, it was almost as good as its predecessor, Forbidden City.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Virginia Beach, Virginia
“Did not realize it was the same food as Forbidden City”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

We stopped by last Saturday for a quick lunch but the air conditioning was out and we had to leave. So on Sunday, we decided to try the take-out. My sister ordered the shrimp egg foo young. The shrimp were so tough and chewy she threw up! I ordered the house fried rice. Again tough shrimp and very miniscule bits of other meats (chicken? pork?, hard to know). Rice was old. However, my epiphany that this was the same as the old Forbidden City was when I opened the steamed dumplings and saw the same thick and gross dumpling with teeny tiny filling as I had once had at the Forbidden City. Well, now you know. If you enjoyed Forbidden City, you may enjoy this. I did like the Emily's Watercress soup and the Steak Wor Bar, but I couldn't order the same thing every time, so I found a whole lot more that I didn't like over the years.

• 1 of 5 stars Food