“Disappointment” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Alexander's on the Bay - CLOSED

Alexander's on the Bay
4536 Ocean View Ave, Virginia Beach, VA 23455-1433 (Northwest Virginia Beach)
757-464-4999
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Northwest Virginia Beach
Description: Alexander's on the Bay is a Iconic restaurant destination presented against the panoramic backdrop of the Chesapeake Bay. With over 25 years of service to the public Alexander's staff has been preparing creative offerings of fresh seafood,steaks and pasta dishes totally from scratch.Come in and enjoy a world class bar and wine list to match. Alexander's on the Bay is available for weddings,as well as private and corporate functions held on site or catered at your location. Enjoy the million dollar view from any table. Any closer you will be on the sand.
Virginia Beach, Virginia
“Disappointment”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

Last night was our second and last time we will go to Alexanders on the Bay. Our experience was the same the second time around. The service was slow, we were seated at 6 pm, by 645 our meal had still not been served. Had to continue to ask for drink refills, that would not be served, the server forgot us. It had been over 30 min since the server took order, when I asked the owner to check on our dinner, her curt reply was, "30 min is not a long time to wait for fine dinning Mamm". FINE DINNING who are you kidding? Don't waist your time or $$$

• Visited June 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Chesapeake, Virginia
“" Back to the future "......NOT!!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

It's a shame you can't go back in time! There was a time many "moons" ago when AOTB was iconic in every way (except price ,but that was acceptable) . We were the only "party- in -the -house" for an uncomfortable period of time for a Saturday evening. I thought, wow ,where is every one on a beautiful weekend evening? You see I was not smart enough to read the reviews before going ,I erroneously relied on my memory of such a positive,past experience. (Strike-ONE) When inquiring about what was included with the dinners we were told that there was a choice of a "starch" and that there was a vegetable-of -the day .Not that I am an expert on the best choice of words for the mood of Fine dining but really -Starch, and to be clear this was not some thought off the top of our server's head, it was on the menu!! So to return to the lexicon of "Jenny Craig " and "NutriSystem" our"starches " were listed (all 4 of them ) But when it came time to list the Veggies there was a grand total of one!!!!! Some combination of squash, peppers onions and zucchini . Well personally I had immediate thoughts of "Friday the Thirteenth- The Kitchen segment." I inquired if there was an alternative choice upon which time I was told I could double up on my "STARCHES" I could see Jenny Craig with the Long knife in the Bates Motel shower scene exclaiming...SO you want more starches ,EH!!!! I doubled up on my rice pilaf which tasted like the cook ran down to "Taco Bell" (no offense their food taste good) and mixed in mexican ,"Stove Top " stuffing .Two spoonfuls and I couldn't eat another bite! (STRIKE- TWO) My fried shrimp was mediocre but passable . My wife said her dinner was good (Lump Crab meat in butter and mashed "starches" (potatoes) .Guess what, the bread was excellent!!! So in summation: for $60.00 ( not including $12.00 tip,$5.00 Valet parking-tip ) you get one decent meal, great bread, great views, and plenty of...."STARCHES" !!!!! We look forward to "Lynnhaven Fishhouse" in the next "BACK TO THE FUTURE" Adventure!!!! So much for our 38th wedding anniversary dinner ! (Shame on me for not reading these reviews earlier!!!!)

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Hampton, Virginia
“Much better than expeccted!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

We bought a groupon for this restaurant and after reading the last review, we were going to
just not go. That would have been a mistake.
We called on Saturday at 5PM to make reservation at 6PM. The phone was not answered but we received a return call to come at 6:15PM. When we walked in at 6PM there were many empty tables and we were seated at the window right away. The restaurant looks nice. It is not over the top but it is not tattered like the last reviewer called it. Our waiter appeared with menus and water
and service was pleasant and efficient. We did not get any lectures about drinking and driving and actually had a pleasant dinner. My husband had the big seafood platter and I ordered the flounder, We both ordered scalloped potatoes which we could have done without. Wine by the glass was fine and priced OK and we did not order dessert.There is a nice patio overlooking the water and I wished that they would open earlier to enjoy a cocktail overlooking the bay. The bar area has some weekly specials and we will return to try those. All in all much better than expected.

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“RUN AWAY. RUN FAR, FAR AWAY.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

I don't even know where to begin. Sometimes there are just no words. I moved back to the area after almost 15 years away, and expected Alexander's to be as phenomenal as ever---I was literally shocked at how awful it has become. From the moment you walk in, the tacky decor jumps out at you. Surpass that, chalk it up to poor reconstruction following the storm destruction, and head out to the deck. Scratch that, be escorted out to the deck to a lovely table in the far corner where you believe you will peacefully take in the bay and beach atmosphere until a zombie-like young man seats another table three inches from you, even though there are at least 10 other tables out there (which are never occupied, by the way). Then be prepared to painfully try to order drinks, as they are out of every top shelf brand you can possibly think of, with no apologies whatsoever, and then--and I'm not even kidding here--get lectured on choosing an alcoholic beverage because this corpse of a human being is studying for his EMT exam and worried about 'people like us' who have a drink and then drive. WHAT??? Are you kidding me? Top that off with the worst food (and mind you, we only ordered an app after that) and as I obviously wrongly stated at the beginning of my rant, there are simply no words to describe just how awful and surreal the experience was in every possible way. Rude, unprofessional, unsavory, bizarre, disappointing, sad. Just to name a few. PLEASE SOMEONE BUY ALEXANDERS AND BRING IT BACK TO ITS FORMER GLORY. Such a shame that one of the most iconic restaurants in VB, with the absolute best view hands down, could have sunk so low in such a short amount of time. Oh, and if you don't want total and complete rudeness, don't even think about questioning the staff about anything--the staff of two that is, plus what I understand to be the chef/owner in the back. Chef? Right. No way this person ever passed anything close to culinary school. But everything else was so horrendous, the food was simply an afterthought. And did I mention his was Fri on Memorial Day weekend, and there were only five tables in the entire place? When I asked about that I was told, and I quote... "It's Memorial Day Weekend, everyone is leaving town." What? You complete moron? It's one of, if not THE biggest weekend in VB. Run away. Run far,far away...

• Visited May 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Chesapeake, Virginia
“Flavorful Atmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

Delicious meal from the appetizer, she crab soup, surf and turf to mouth watering desserts - the atmosphere is great for casual or formal events. Relaxing and beautiful on the Chesapeake Bay!