“Out of the box” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Steinhilber's Thalia Acres Inn is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #31 of 1,256 Restaurants in Virginia Beach
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Romance, Large groups, Doing business, Local cuisine, Outdoor seating, Special occasions, Scenic view, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Virginia
“Out of the box”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2014 via mobile

I guess the folks of Tidewater don't recognise Costco food when they get it, and actually, I've had better Costco than what we were served. Fried seafood platter... Unnamed fish was prebreaded, and right out of a box. Dry and mushy. Folks, fresh scallops are not mushy! Same goes for the famous shrimp. Dry and mealy. After eating at places like Frog island, or even Freemason Abbey, I've got to tell you that life is too short to eat poor seafood, much less an entre that costs 31 bucks. Service was great(even though it took 40 minutes to get soup and salad), vibe was nice if not stodgy. We won't be back unless someone else is buying.

• Visited February 2014
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Virginia Beach, Virginia
“A date night definite!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I went to Steinhilbers for our date night. We have 5 children at home and it's nice to get out away from the kids. We both were dressed up, but nothing formal. The place is a bit older but the atmosphere was very cozy. The host staff were very inviting and kind. The kindness didn't end there. The wait staff were cordial and set us up with drinks right away.
I've had weight loss surgery and am unable to eat a full entree myself. Our server, David, was very accomodating and understood. He was very attentive and took very good care of us.
We finished our meal and wasn't rushed to pay the bill. We sat and talked and David made sure we were comfortable. As we left, the host staff were just as kind as when we had arrived. Wishing us a great evening and asking us to come back.
We will definitly be returning, and highly recommend this establishment for a romantic evening out. Thank you for making our night out enjoyable!!

• Visited February 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Silver Spring, Maryland
“Very Good Combination Seafood Platters”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2014

Steinhilber's is located out on a suburban just off one of the inlets north of the Norfolk-Virginia Beach Road. Ambiance is white table cloth in a rustic setting, quite an enjoyable dining room. Service was friendly and attentive, but the kitchen was a bit slow on a busy Sunday night (last night of Restaurant Week though we ordered off the regular menu). We enjoyed our raw oyster appetizers, but the preparation was not the best with some grit and meat not cleanly lifted off both shells. We enjoyed the fried seafood platter and the lobster combination, both reasonably generous, fresh, and accompanied by good French fries. A side of creamed spinach was outstanding. Breads served with the meal were OK, but not memorable. The wine list is very good with a few selections under $40. We enjoyed an excellent Willamette Valley Witness Tree pinot noir for $33. Mixed drinks were quite expensive with a Bombay martini priced at $14. Worth a try, but don't expect more than a comfortable place with fairly simple seafood and steak fare.

• Visited January 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Chicago, Illinois
“Awesome meal and ambiance”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2014

This is one of the classiest restaurants in the Hampton Roads area. It's a nice, relaxing location. I highly recommend this for a wedding anniversary or adult date night.

• Visited August 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Staunton, Virginia
“Skip It”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013

The six fried fantail shrimp were reported to be "palm-sized" and would fill up a hungry patron....The serving that I received were much smaller and did not impress me, although the taste was good. I am not a big eater by any means and felt that I had received a smaller portion because I was "not a regular". John, the waiter, (who needs a memory aide) delivered the wrong vegetable and did not bring the "2 to-go orders" as ordered, though I was charged for both and paid a handsome tip ($63.00 total). Of course, I did not realize that my take home order was "only" 1 order (& no cornbread) until I reached my home 200 miles west of The Beach....The sand, the waves, and the seagulls have more value than Steinhilber's:)

• Visited December 2013