“Note to self, bypass Salvatore's” 2 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Dining options: Delivery, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Delivery, Late Night, Reservations
Virginia Beach, Virginia
“Note to self, bypass Salvatore's”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

I recently visited Salvatore's based on recommendations from friends and after reading the reviews I decided to give them a try. Was I ever disaapointed.

I was born in Naples, Italy, my mother is native and I have been back many times over the years. Growing up eating authentic italian, I feel I can comment on what good italian food is and I can assure you, Salvatore's missed the mark.

We were promptly seated by a very nice hostess, who was very accomadating to my wife as she has a broken food and we were seated in a booth close to the entrance so my wife didn't have to navigate the crowded dining room on crutches. The waitress was prompt with bringing waters and garlic rolls. The garlic rolls were freshly made, were very soft and delicious and the marinara sauce was a perfect accompanyment for dipping. We ordered the ensalada de caprese as an appetizer. It is served on a bed of romaine, the tomatoes where actually quartered roma tomatoes that could have used a little more time in the sun, as the were a little too firm. The mozzerella is made fresh on premise and is very delicious, and the appetizer was perfectly seasoned with the the right amount of olive oil, balsamic vinegar and basil. This appetizer would be better if slicing tomatoes were used and the ingredients stacked. All in all this was a decent appetizer.

My wife had just a slice of pizza since she is a light eater and did nothing but rave about it, so I take it that it must have been good. My meal on the otherhand left a lot to be desired.

I asked the waitress about the eggplant parmigana and how it was prepared. What I wanted to know was, do they used prepackaged heavily breaded eggplant cutlets like most places that call themselve italian use or do they take the time to prepare the eggplant properly? I was assured that they prepare fresh eggplant daily for their meals and that nothing on the menu served there is prepackaged. I decided to give it a try and had the bowl of spaghetti with tomato sauce as it's side.

Maybe she needs to visit the kitchen a little more often because what I got was prepackaged, very heavily breaded eggplant cutlets. It was so crunchy, overfried and extremely dry. Basicly it was three thick eggplant cutlets, stacked with a little sauce on top and a huge glob of what looked like melted provolone cheese. There was no sauce between the layers, no basil, and no mozzerala cheese. I love a good eggplant parmigana, and will continue my quest to find a good one in the Hampton Roads area, it is definately not here for sure. The real kicker is the spaghetti... How does one mess that up? Well if you like spaghetti soup then you will like it here. The spaghetti came to me, lukewarm first of all. The spaghetti wasn't lubricated with the sauce, (meaning it was plain pasta with some sauce poured on top) the pasta was stiff and hard, and to top it off, half the bowl was filled with water. I had to request a empty bowl, just to pour off the water. The marinara sauce was the same used for roll dipping. Don't get me wrong, the dipping marinara is good, and you can tell it is homemade, but at least they could have a different sauce for the pasta dishes, such as a tomato ragu maybe.

Will I be back? Maybe. My wife seems to like the place and she's the only reason I didn't rate it lower. As for me, not if i can help it, she will have to drag me in kicking and screaming.

• Visited June 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Ashburn, Virginia
“Handled a large group with perfection!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

Based upon reviews I'd seen online, I took my daughter's volleyball team and accompanying parents to the restaurant on a Saturday night while we were in town for a tournament. There were 23 of us in total and we had a reservation. We were very pleased with all aspects of the meal. They handled the crowd well with two waitresses. We ordered by the girls' uniform numbers so they could break up the checks and that worked perfectly. The food was awesome and they did a great job of bringing it all out simultaneously. The girls loved the garlic knots and the treats at the end of the meal. I highly recommend and will go back when we are in town again.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Shiloh , VA
“Good experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

The sauce comes very close to home cooking, and the portion size is generous.
My glass of Nero D'Avola was good.
Salad was good to fair; the roll that comes with the Marinara sauce is much better than the bread in the bread basket.
My chicken Parm was good, however the spinach lasagna missed the mark-too much pasta, not enough cheese or spinach, disappointing.
A very nice gesture to include complimentary cannoli bites with the check. (Cannoli were fair)

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Chesapeake, VA
“Great food, but”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

We've always enjoyed dining at Salvatore's, not so much for the pizza, but for the delicious foods that are prepared there. What has disappointed me lately is the size of the meal, and the increasing costs. I realize that the price of food stuffs has increase, but, to see the quantity decrease substantially at the same time disappoints me. The quality has not changed in a negative sense, and is still as great as ever.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Virginia Beach
“You want AUTHENTIC Italian in Virginia Beach? Go to Salvatore's Ristorante on Baxter & Princess Anne Roads.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

I qualify my opinion of Salvatore's Italian Ristorante based on my partial Italian heritage, and having lived and worked in "Bella Napoli" Italy for three years.

First impression - unlike another self-proclaimed Italian Restaurant in Hilltop called "Aldo's Ristorante", you don't get an obnoxious attitude when you walk in the door. You are greeted with sincere "how ya doin'?" by whoever is at the register. If the owner himself (Gabriel) is nearby - and he generally is, will warmly greet you as a first time visitor, and as a close friend and extended family during subsequent (and there will be) visits. Gabriel is a very much hands-on owner manager, and he works with his young team to make sure that guests are given a superb experience. Subtle niceties such as gratuitous random appetizers from bruschetta and garlic knots, to a rose presented to every lady who dines there on Mother's Day.

Second impression - this is REAL Italian!! None of the usual American wannabe Italian influences generally found elsewhere, this is the real no kidding deal!! The menu has a vast selection from all of the well-known regions of Italy - Tuscano (Tuscany), Milano (Milan) - which is Gabriel's native city, along with Neapolitan and Sicilian dishes. These dinners are large enough that you will have (not an option) left-overs to take home.

Third impression - Gabriel has quickly become a sincere and strong community supporter. While other places rest on their laurels upon earning "Best of the Beach" awards, Gabriel goes the extra distance and provides support to numerous causes - with a smile and a "no problem". Take a look at the wall near the kitchen - it has already filled up the first row with various awards and thank you's from several organizations such as the Foodbank of Southeastern Virginia, the Knights of Columbus, Special Olympics Virginia, Girl Scouts, Boy Scouts, and several other organizations. This has happened in slightly over 2 years!!! In an area where there are several 'Italian restaurants', there is only ONE Salvatore's who has shown themselves to be an outstanding restaurant that also strongly supports the local community.
Buon Appetito!!