“Great time” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Ranked #22 of 114 Hotels in Virginia Beach
“Great time”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2014

Had a great family vacation at Oceanaire. The hotel is very clean, the employees were nice, friendly and helpful.

It has 4 pools, which is great. Only complaint the indoor pool for the Adults is much warmer than the indoor pool for kids/adults. And we didn't get any room service the day before we left.

The Sun deck is great for tanning and quiet time away from the crowds.

I'd stay there again.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Jason N, General Manager at Oceanaire Resort Hotel, responded to this review, May 5, 2014
Dear pokiloca,

Than you for sharing your feedback with us regarding your stay. I am pleased that you had an enjoyable experience. I will have our engineering team take a look at the heating system for the indoor pool at the Ocean Beach Club to ensure the appropriate temperature is being achieved on a consistent basis. We look forward to serving you during your next trip to Virginia Beach!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
Bourne
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2014

I always use tripadvisor to help book our vacations and was a bit nervous since there were mixed reviews on this newer property. But I must say, I would not hesitate booking again or recommending to others. What made me most nervous was the descriptions of the rooms. We checked in late but were assured that we would be happy with our room assignment...Indeed we were! Our room was HUGE. We have stayed in many hotels and this one by far was the most spacious. We were not on a high floor as we had requested actually just the opposite. However, there were only 2 suites on our floor and they were both enormous. The floor to ceiling windows stretched 20 feet high and faced the beach. The two balconies, one off the dining area and the other off the bedroom, provided great opportunities to look out over the ocean/boardwalk day and night. The windows in the living room did not open to a balcony but provided get light and beautiful views from the inside. The 2 full baths were a pleasant surprise as was the fully equipped kitchen with all new full sized appliances. As others have written the bed was small. But this did not pose an issue for us. As I said, there was only one other room on our floor so we NEVER heard any hallway traffic. It was truly like having an entire floor to ourselves.
The staff was very friendly and always working! The pool area was never out of fresh towels nor were there any used towels laying around. Once during our week long stay the kids pool located in the hotel next door needed to be closed so kids were allowed to use the adults only pool. Again, not an issue for us. However, when the pool was for adults only it was very relaxing and we met many nice people. We used the 10th floor sun deck daily and really enjoyed it as it was quite windy on the beach while we were there. The high windows around the sun deck provided a great shield. Again the staff was always there if something was out of place.
Khalil checked us in and never did we pass the front desk where he didn't greet us by name or ask us if we needed anything. His pleasant smile and cheery attitude became something we looked forward to each night. Our housekeepers did a great job too! We only actually saw them twice but never a doubt that they worked hard to keep everything beautifully cleaned, even those HUGE windows.
I was also a bit nervous about the off site parking comments I had read. Yes the parking wasn't right outside the hotel door but it was no more than 1/2 block away. It was never an issue as we are quite capable of walking without any issues. However there is valet service 24 hours a day which we did use on the one rainy day. It was easy parking either way.
You should know that this property is a time sharing property as well as a hotel. Knowing that we were not interested in ever becoming owners we just never took the tour that was offered. A simple "no than you" was all it took one time. And we were asked to take the tour by sellers on the street not from anyone inside the hotel.
We checked out quite early on our last day as we had a long drive ahead. When we arrived home there was a message from Oceanaire waiting for us. Unknowingly I had left my iPad in our room. They called to let us know they had found it and would be mailing it back to me! Although there are many hotels to choose from along VA beach, staying in a place that would hire honest people who are willing to go out their way to do the right thing should be the first choice for anyone traveling.

Room Tip: Ocean front suites plenty of space and beautiful views.
Dear Igilval,

Wow! I am so pleased to hear about your stay! Thank you for taking the time to pass along your experience to others on Trip Advisor. Khaulil is a great asset to us as are the scores of others associates whose hard work makes the property "hum" each day. They all care deeply about the guest experience and I am so proud to lead them. I am particularly happy that we were able to return your iPad to you. We hope to serve you again during your next trip to Virginia Beach!
Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2014

My friends and I had a brief, weekend stay at The Oceanaire and we would definitely visit again. We experienced excellent customer service throughout our stay and really enjoyed the amenities. Everyone from the courteous cleaning staff, to the pool bartender, and even the bar manager contributed to our positive experience. It was also nice to have so many pool options in addition to being so close to the beach.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Dear BK378459,

I am pleased to hear that you had such an enjoyable stay with us! I appreciate you taking the time to provide us with your feedback. I will be sure to pass along your kind comments to the team. They take great pride in what they do; I am certain that they will enjoy the kudos. We hope to serve you again during your next trip to Virginia Beach!
Ocean, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2014

First, let me say that the staff was very friendly and the room we stayed in was very nice. We were traveling two children, ages 6 and 2, and we were told when we booked that the hotel was family friendly. As for the room, it had a well equipped kitchen, pull out couch in the living room for the kids, and a comfortable one bedroom for the adults. The bathroom was a good size with dual sinks and a jetted tub. Beyond that, in my opinion, Oceanaire itself is definitely geared more towards the 21 and older crowd…I would describe the atmosphere as upscale and trendy. The amenities in this particular tower are a 21 and older hot tub/pool, a sun deck/lounge on the 10th floor and a cocktail lounge downstairs. If we were not traveling with children, this would be the ideal tower. The Beach Club next door, which luckily you do have access to while staying in either hotel (a short walk outside), contains a small game room and a large indoor pool, as well as a outdoor pool and cafe. This is by far the more family friendly/laid back/Key West atmosphere that someone traveling with children would probably be looking for.

As for the positive, as mentioned above, you do have access to the indoor and outdoor pools, which are both heated. The game room is small, but would still probably satisfy the gamers of the family. It also offers board games. The concierge was helpful and friendly, as was all of the staff we met. The rooms, hotel, and grounds are very well maintained and upscale. Self parking is available across the street for $8/night and valet is also available for $16/night. TVs in the room offered a decent variety of channels, the kitchen was well stocked with everything you might need, and beds were comfortable.

As for the negative. First, we were not able to check in on time, which is stated as 4pm. The front desk was very apologetic, but it was still extremely inconvenient considering we had traveled over 6 hours to be here on time to enjoy the limited nice weather. They did give us access to the amenities immediately, but did not allow us to store our bags in the meantime (we asked when it wasn't offered, and although we had been told over the phone that this would be available to us, it was not an option). The bellmen will extremely kind, but clearly overwhelmed. Minor negatives about the room…no hooks to hang wet clothes/towels and the wifi was weak at best. I also noticed that room service was not an option except for a pizza delivery. This wasn't a big deal to us, but might be to someone expecting it at such an advertised upscale resort.

More importantly and most disappointing, there really weren't any amenities other that the pool for our family. All restaurants were located in other hotels and all of the beach activities are a ways down the boardwalk. There is a beach playground about 1/4 mile down the boardwalk and restaurants within walking distance, so it's not a total loss, it's just a shame that the hotel itself does not really offer much itself, especially during the cooler months when the beach is not really an option. Most "resorts" we have stayed at offer a selection of dining as well as activities. Other than a wine tasting we received a message about (and couldn't attend with children), I didn't see much in the way of activities.

Overall opinion…a good "resort" for the couple looking to getaway to relax, but not the most ideal for the more active family.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Dear jennhnj,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed account of your experience at the property. We truly appreciate your feedback. I am pleased to hear that though you and your family experienced some disappointments, you all enjoyed your stay overall. I think that it is a very fair review. I will certainly pass along your recommendations to our Board of Directors for consideration! We hope to see you at either the Ocean Beach Club or at Oceanaire during your next trip to Virginia Beach!
Essex
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2014

Excellent location right on the beach. Lovely rooms facing the beach and loved the adults only pool room with the open fire. Pocahontas Pancakes and waffle shop just across the street. Only thing we didn't like was the welcome pack dressed up a timeshare! and the noise into the early hours from the planes.

Room Tip: High room facing the beach
Dear Mark B,

Thank you for providing us with your feedback. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay overall. We receive many compliments on Aqua 21, our adult only swimming pool and hot tub. We look forward to serving you during your next trip to Virginia Beach!
Newark, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2014

My only regret for the stay is that it wasn't long enough I wish that we could have stayed an entire week but we only came for the weekend from NJ. We arrived later than we had plan on Friday and when we got there Olivia was at the front desk and she was warm and very friendly. The gave our room away but that was ok because we got upgraded to a better suite and it was beautiful. The rooms are very nicely decorated with stainless steel appliances, the rooms were huge. The beds are very comfortable, it was just the most relaxing atmosphere that made you feel very at home. I would absolutely come back to the Oceanaire maybe next time me and my husband can do a romantic stay by ourselves. Thanks for a great stay.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Jason N, General Manager at Oceanaire Resort Hotel, responded to this review, April 23, 2014
Dear Theresa R.,

Thank you for the kind words about the property and Olivia. She is truly an asset to our team and we are so proud of her. Our entire team strives to provide great service for each guest and owner. I am glad to hear that you felt like you were at home away from home. That is the greatest compliment we can receive. We look forward to seeing you again during your next (hopefully romantic!) getaway to Virginia Beach!
Richmond, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2014

We went away for a quick weekend to celebrate the first warm days of summer. The room and common areas are impressive. Our room was compact but had lots of extras like a small kitchen and a big tub. The common areas were bright and nicely decorated.

Now for the downers…

The drive-up for the check in seemed crowded and not large enough to handle the volume of the people checking in. Then there was the construction going on right next door which created quite a lot of noise as you would expect. To compensate they had the “background” music up too high which did not create the relaxing atmosphere we were looking for. We also had a very less than desirable snack at the outdoor café along with some unappealing drinks. Only one of the 2 pools was open.

Bottom line: I would stay here but go off-site for meals and entertainment.

Dear Jeff S.,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed the property overall. I am disappointed to hear about your experience at Tortuga's Cafe. I do hope that you brought the quality issues up with the manager on duty at the restaurant so the issues could be resolved. We are just re-opening the patio and pool deck for the season after being closed for the off season. The pool issue that you mentioned has been resolved. We were experienceing some diffculties with the heating unit for the pool and did not want anyone to swim in unheated water. I hope that we have the opportunity to serve you again during your next trip to Virginia Beach!

Been to Oceanaire Resort Hotel? Share your experiences!