“What a special surprise” 5 of 5 stars

Special Rate
3rd Night Free!
Ranked #22 of 115 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
“What a special surprise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

I was in Va Beach for a meeting and the hotel where my boss was staying was sold out so they told me about the Oceanaire. Wow, I sure got the better end of that deal. My room was glorious. I had a wonderful view and I can't wait to go back with friends.

The hotel upgraded me to a two bedroom suite and it was such a treat. The rooms are lovely, the balconey's are private and spacious and the bathrooms are a real gem.

The staff was incredible. I was especially pleased with the valet/bell service, these guys were curteous and prompt and seem to really enjoy their jobs. That says a lot to me about how the hotel is run.

I will be back for sure.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
Laurel, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

The adult only pool and the club area on the 10th floor (i beleive) was the only thing that impressed me about the Oceanaire. I rate the room service below average because the lady seemed like she had an attitude with us when we kindly asked her to return in about 10-15 minutes to clean our room. The safe worked when we opened it, but locked and our code wouldn't work so after calling maintenance, he came, couldn't fix it, said he would come back and NEVER did. The room was extremely small which is crazy because I expected so much more at $700 a night. Mr. Dexter was extremely rude at the front desk, but luckily there was another lady there that was nice. Parking is ridiculous. You pay $700 plus a night for room, only to pay an additional feel for parking, sheesh. I've stayed at other places on the strip that offered free parking and free breakfast, oceanfront and had a great time. I did love the adult only pool; otherwise, I honestly wasn't impressed with the place and wouldn't recommend it to friends because they can stay somewhere else for cheaper and still have an amazing vacation.

Room Tip: check out the rooftop area, it's amazing.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

Only complaint would be that the maid service was lacking somewhat. Forgot to leave bathmat and soaps every day. Also a little inconvenient because they came to clean when it was time to get ready for dinner after a day on the beach (in the rooms cleaning between 5 and 6 each afternoon). otherwise we had a wonderful stay!!! 1st time in VA beach and loved it!!!!

• Stayed September 2012
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

My wife and I love VB. We have stayed at several condos up the beach over the past 5 years. Condos are great. Just like home with a beach view. Problem is it's just like home. Have to make your own bed, wash your own dishes, wash your own floors......etc. Never seems like quite as much fun for mom. The Oceanaire provides all these services and more! Its a condo with hotel services. And not just any hotel......a 5 Star hotel. No they don't have room service, but they do have valet parking, an adult only pool and a concierge! And guess what? it's brand new. Only been open for a few months. That means it still has that new car smell. The staff are great, the hotel is new and the beach....well it's VB!

Room Tip: ocean front
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Chester, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

Stayed 2 nights, 9/15 and 9/16/12 after staying at Beach Quarters a week, and are going back for the entire July 4th week in 2013. 2 br units sleep 8 if you use the sleeper sofa. Very large units, well appointed and furnished, and very modern decor. All units are oceanfront or oceanview. Although technically Phase III of Ocean Beach Club, it is a separate tower, check-in desk, concierge, and valet(if you choose to use them).The rooms are very modern with plenty of space and large kitchen with full size appliances and granite countertops. Master bedroom has king size bed and jetted tub, 2nd br has 2 beds, kitchenette, full bath and sleeps 4. Flat screen TV's in each bedroom and living room. Oceanaire has a Martini bar, firepit to sit around, indoor over 21 pool and hottub, other pools are adjacent at Ocean Beach Club with tiki bar and fitness center there also. It is the newest and nicest hotel at VA. Beach. It is part hotel and conference center and part timeshare, Tiimeshare owners have their own private lounge on the 10th floor. There is direct access to the boardwalk and beach. VA. Beach has undergone much upgrading in the last few years with much still going on. It has become one of the nicest beach areas to go to in the east and that includes Florida, There is also much to see and do at less cost just by going to Town Center and many other attractions nearby. Oceanfront restaurants tend to be very expensive, just a short drive and prices drop a lot.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Midlothian
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

I apologize in advance for the length, but hope that the review will be helpful to those on the fence about staying at Oceanaire.

I am a very frequent traveler to Virginia Beach (15-20 times per year) and ALWAYS stay at the Hilton Oceanfront. I had wanted to try Oceanaire but was extremely nervous about doing so given the consistently bad reviews. The room that I wanted at Hilton was booked, so I decided to bite the bullet and give OceanAire a try.

A few days before my trip, I decided to call the manager to discuss a few concerns in advance. Herein lies the negative part of my review. I made no less than 20 phone calls each resulting in being either sent to a recording, transferred to the wrong department, and 4 times disconnected completely. It was a complete run around. I asked to speak with a manager (any manager) and it was like asking to speak with the President of the United States. Very offputting. After several more calls working my way through recordings and uninformed telephone staff, I was told I was being connected to the "General Manager." I left a message and to this day have never received a call. I finally got through to another member of management, and I will say he left me a voicemail 2 days later, but at that point, I was already at the resort.

Service is of the utmost importance to me and if dealing with the receptionist was this hard, I shuddered to think what the rest of the trip would be like. Truthfully, based on that experience alone, I would have cancelled but for the fact that I missed the cancellation window. However, I am SO pleased that I did not cancel.

I arrived at the front desk before 11:00 a.m. noting that I had requested early check in. Realizing this was a long shot, I was floored when the very nice lady at the front desk proceeded to check me in. *OCEANAIRE - if you are reading this, there is NOTHING better than a hotel striving to accommodate an early check-in. Greatly appreciated!!!!** It allowed me to get a nice jump start on my vacation.

My room was exactly as ordered. Oceanfront 1 Bedroom Suite. Gorgeous, clean, and extremely spacious. Just as nice as any one bedroom apartment. The floor to ceiling windows directly overlooking the ocean were amazing. The balcony off of the bedroom was plenty spacious with 2 chairs & two small table stands. Yes, there are a few design flaws that I would have done differently (the loud vent on the balcony, the ridiculously small so called "queen" size bed when the room is more than big enough for a King, the glazed glass door between the bedroom and bathroom which is a little distracting to the person trying to sleep) but I can live with all of this. No big deal :)

The grounds are beaufiful and I LOVED the pools. The property has the indoor pool (adult only which was great) and 3 pools at the adjoining Ocean Beach Club (2 outdoor) (1 indoor). Some say the pools were small but I thought they were more than adequate. Granted, I was there in September. I'm not sure I would want to go during peak season as this complex is HUGE and I could see there being more people than facilities to handle the volume. For this stay though, plenty of lounge chairs and awesome service at the Tiki Bar (nothing like enjoying an adult beverage by the pool). The drinks and food at the Tiki were very good!

As other reviewers have said, it is very true that the pool and lounge area are COMPLETELY shaded by 2:00 or so which is pretty dissapointing. But knowing that ahead of time, I made sure to get to the pool early for plenty of sun. Only somewhat negative I had about the pool was the towel check out. My party of two asked for 4 towels and I felt a little like I was being grilled by the towel policy "okay, 4 towels for 2 people? - I guess that's okay". Don't most people want to use a towel to cover the lounger and one to use to get out of the pool? When you leave the pool, you then have to go back to the desk and have them check your name off the list as having returned. I don't know - perhaps I am just not accustomed to having to check out towels. Hilton does not do that poolside nor do any of the other resorts I have stayed out. I guess their concern is losing towels to those who take them down to the beach only to never return them. Again, just a personal preference and minor issue completely. It certainly beats having to bring your own :)

Everyone I encountered at the hotel from the bellmen, to housekeeping, to just random employees in the elevator were pleasant, friendly, and helpful.

I had heard the horror stories of housekeeping but my room had extras of everything and while it was a little later than I personally prefer, I did have housekeeping daily around 3:00 p.m. As a matter of fact, I stopped one of the housekeepers upon my arrival to ask if they routinely do daily service since so many of the reviews say otherwise. She assured me that daily housekeeping was provided and from my own experience, she was correct.

My one problem with housekeeping, and this is a BIG one is I returned to my room about 3:30 in the afternoon to find the door completely open. It was not a situation where the door accidentally did not close tightly behind her, rather, the deadbolt was turned in an effort to prop the door open. Before coming to my room, I ran into two housekeepers in the hallway laughing and joking. I didn’t think anything of it at the time, but perhaps there was too much socializing and not enough paying attention. My initial reaction was perhaps housekeeping was not quite finished with my room and just stepped away to grab something, but no one ever returned so the door would have been left open for what could have been hours with my belongings at risk. I should have reported the incident but could never catch one of the managers at the front desk. Fortunately, nothing was taken, but I hope the hotel will address this matter as a reminder to the cleaning staff.

At the end of my stay, I honestly did not want to leave. It really was a wonderful trip . I am heading back again in the next week or two and am thinking very seriously about OceanAire over Hilton as my new "home away from home" while in the area. I know first impressions can often be deceiving, so I just hope stay #2 is as nice as my first time around.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Middletown, Maryland, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

Stayed 3 nights in a 1 bedroom oceanfront suite on the 14th floor. The suite was extremely clean and very modern...however, the A/C unit is in the bedroom, about 2 feet from the head of the bed. Extrememly noisy to try to sleep. The balcony outside of the bedroom was tiny, and the A/C unit exhausted directly onto the balcony, which made it miserable to sit outside next to the noise and heat blowing out of A/C unit.

On a good note, the location is excellent, the amenities are adequate and the employees were all very nice and accommodating.

Room Tip: Oceanfront room
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Been to Oceanaire Resort Hotel? Share your experiences!