“Fancy Mexican/Southwestern-lots of flavors going on (and on..)” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #81 of 1,160 Restaurants in Virginia Beach
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Southwestern, Seafood
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Welcome, Amigo! Virginia Beach oceanfront's newest restaurant Located at 2736 Atlantic Ave., Just steps from the beach, Cactus Jack's is a new and exciting addition to the Virginia Beach waterfront. Relax under a palm tree on our expansive patio, or retreat indoors where our stylish decor is truly one of a kind. Colorful light resonates throughout the interior, creating a vibrant and festive atmosphere that is built for those who are looking to have a really good time! Our menu, created by Chef David Francis, features southwestern inspired cuisine made with the freshest of ingredients, in addition to traditional American favorites. House made guacamole made to order, an extensive variety of tacos and burritos and a juicy Jack's burger are just a small sampling of our mouthwatering fare. We also have some incredible entrees of Fresh Seafood, Steaks and Pork Chops. Cactus Jacks looks forward to serving you! We have some incredible Specialty Cocktails including many different types of Margaritas, Tropical Drinks, Sangria, and Mojitos. Cactus Jacks is the perfect destination for every occasion, whether it be Saturday night drinks, happy hour, or a weekday lunch or dinner. We pride ourselves on our friendly, fun atmosphere and the creativity that goes into every dish and drink that we serve.
Salem, Virginia
“Fancy Mexican/Southwestern-lots of flavors going on (and on..)”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

Our party of 4 had dinner last week and while I enjoyed it, our friends did not. One ordered nachos and there was too much going on in it, but not much meat and hardly any cheese to be found. He didn't even eat it, he said they are trying to be too fancy(?). I had a trio of tacos and while they were flavorful, they were cold as soon as they were put on the table. Room temp. My wife had a fish entree and she enjoyed it. Suprised they didn't offer complimentary chips and salsa like many Tex/Mex/So.West restaurants do, but again, perhaps trying to be too fancy. Nice atmosphere, lots of flat screen TVs and service was quick and efficient.

• Visited September 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
dave b, Owner at Cactus Jack's Southwest Grill, responded to this review, September 19, 2013
Thank you Hokie for you review, I will share this with my chefs. I apologize that the trio came out cold, I wish this would have been corrected for you. The chips and salsa are made fresh daily in house.Our chefs are very talented and creative and are looking to deliver a unique and satisfying experience for all guests. We try to balance our creativeness along with many staple popular dishes that offer top quality fresh ingredients like our smoked pulled pork, Jack's burgers, crab cakes etc. . I hope you visit on your next return, we are excited about some very interesting new menu items for our new menu for October that I think you will be excited to try.
Wish your Hokies the best!
Please come back and visit us.
David

Poughkeepsie, New York
“Great food..service depends on night you go”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

We dined at this restaurant twice during our stay. The 1st time was awesome, the food was great, especially the guacamole & espresso rubbed steak, & the waitress was terrific. We even stayed after dinner to have drinks at the bar & the bartenders were terrific also. We had such a nice time we decided to go back 2 nights later. That night was a mistake. The food was great as was the 1st time we went, however; in order to get a seat we would have to leave our cell phone # & they would call us when a table was available. We had left our cell phone back at the room so we just left our name, & told the hostess we would be at the bar. We waited about 45 minutes & watched other people come & go. There were many empty tables. My husband went to check & we were told our name was never entered, so we would have to enter our name again, & that it would be a few minutes to get seated. Again we waited, & after another 20 minutes we checked again. Finally we were seated, & I ordered another drink with the waitress. We got our waters, she took our appetizer order, then came back for our dinner order. I had to ask again for my drink. I will give her credit though in that she did try hard to please us, & notified the owner of all our problems that night. The owner came over to our table & apologized, & gave us 10% off our bill. It was apparent that the people seated at the table next to also had some issues, & the owner also went to their table. in addition, while we were eating, there were people with children waiting by the door to get seated. I didn't mind them being there at all, but they were there about a 1/2 hour with many empty tables available. This is a beautiful stylish restaurant with great food, & I do recommend it to others, however; they need to improve upon their method of waiting to be seated & hostess service.

• Visited September 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
dave b, Owner at Cactus Jack's Southwest Grill, responded to this review, September 15, 2013
Hey Diane, that's an excellent review with great feedback. I actually was the owner you referred to in your review. I wanted to bring you a chocolate dessert too remember ;) No excuses in this business, but we were suffering form our FOH manager who called out sick last minute and a new hostess, we lost 4 hostesses to back to school after summer season turned to fall. In any event, it was a pleasure meeting you and your husband, and this review will be shared with my partner and staff and staff in our continual effort to bring our service too as high a standard as possible. Please come back and visit us next trip and ask for me.

Morristown, New Jersey
“A popular Virginia Beach restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

We went to Cactus Jack's after reading that they had the "best margaritas in Virginia Beach", then both ended up drinking mojitos (these are also fantastic). They have rotating flavors of Sangria, if that is more what you want.

Inside the restaurant is noisy - too noisy for us, so we sat outside. Unfortunately, that meant the smokers came and congregated near us - yuck. I forgot that in certain states there is no smoking ban in restaurants to protect our lungs and health. The server was great and had just the right amount of personality - she is clearly not brand-new at her job and is a local, so she must tolerate a great deal.

My friend got the mussels/clam/chorizo dish because she had a taste for mussels, and she was surprised at how spicy the chorizo in the dish was. I got a salad, which came with an unusual dressing - roasted corn vinaigrette. I also requested the prickly pear vinaigrette. The roasted corn vinaigrette was strange and after a while, it kind of congealed on the food. The food itself was pretty tasty. My friend wanted to return the following evening!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
dave b, Owner at Cactus Jack's Southwest Grill, responded to this review, September 4, 2013
Thanks for your review Joan. Glad you enjoyed your mojitos, they are a hidden goodie and made with fresh mint, the only way to make Mojitos. I have forwarded your comments to my executive chef. Hope you come back and visit us your next trip in town. Thanks again!

Silver Spring, Maryland
“Good food!!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

We went there for dinner and arrived there in time for happy hour. We had some happy hour watermelon margaritas which were great. For dinner I had a bowl of the crab and corn soup which was out of this world. The service was great and quick. We enjoyed everything and would eat here again.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
dave b, Owner at Cactus Jack's Southwest Grill, responded to this review, September 2, 2013
Thank you for your review I'm so happy that you enjoyed Cactus Jack's! Our watermelon margaritas are delicious, im glad you tried them. Please come back and visit us next time you visit.

Forked River, New Jersey, United States
“great meals -went twice!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

Had a blast the food was great the espresso rubbed steak was cooked perfectly. On my second visit I had the pork chops with chorizo gravy. This is definitely a must. Service was great also Robert our waiter was a total rock star .I am a restaurant manager ,so I can tell you this place was perfectly staffed for the business. Two monster pork chops cooked to wear the pink is just fading out and juicy as hell .WELL PLAYED LADIES AND GENTLEMAN WELL PLAYED!!!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Jamie thank you for your review!! Its great to see a fellow Restauranteur have a great experience!! it means a lot to us. Come back and visit us, and best of luck to your restaurant!

Regards!