“Walk to the beach and attractions” 4 of 5 stars

Atrium Resort
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   315 21st Street, Virginia Beach, VA 23451   |
Ranked #12 of 114 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Herndon, Virginia
“Walk to the beach and attractions”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

I stayed in this resort during August of 2012. The place is located quite close to the beach. Although you have to walk a couple of blocks to the ocean. Once you park your car in the resort you can go to all the attractions and restaurants just by walk. There is a swimming pool indoor. And there is a sauna/whirlpool attached by the pool. Very useful on a rainy or cold day. All the rooms have kitchen in it. And you can buy grocery from a nearby shop and make your own food. The room I stayed had 2 TVs. Hence the kids can watch their program on the 2nd TV. The only discomfort is there is no balcony in any of the rooms. They have good programs like art work assisted by a supervisor on certain days of the week. Overall a good experience and an affordable stay.

Danielle V, Manager at Atrium Resort, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to write this wonderful review. We are so happy to hear that our location, updated amenities, and daily activities enhanced your vacation experience. Once again we thank you for choosing the Atrium Resort and we are looking forward to your next visit.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Richmond, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

Easy to locate. Parking great. I am writing this from a comfortable king sized bed in a quiet space. For the *first* time in a long time, we are staying in a room that had absolutely NO smell (other than clean). I walked in with my bottle of Lysol uncapped, 'locked and loaded', prepared to take down germs..and found the place nearly *spotless*. I sprayed anyway, but it was only as a precautionary measure. Corey, at the front desk, was pleasant and welcoming. The beach is only a few blocks away. Although it was clearly stated that there is no ocean view, from our room if you cock your head 'just so', you can catch a glimpse of the ocean from between two buildings. Only thing I wasn't too fond of: Proximity of kitchenette from bathroom. Child able to sit on the commode and look directly at me as I washed dishes. Overall, a great experience. Would we come again? Yep. In a heartbeat.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
OKRMike, Manager at Atrium Resort, responded to this review, October 16, 2012
We take great pride in the cleanliness of are suites. We are delighted to hear that our great location and updated amenities suited your vacation needs. Thank you for taking the time to give us this wonderful feedback and we are already looking forward to your next visit.
Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

The hotel rooms were nicely furnished and convenently set up with the bedroom in the back, then the kitchenette, and the living room. We reserved two rooms side by side and kept the door open in the middle which was great for multiple guests. Staff service was excellent. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
OKRMike, Manager at Atrium Resort, responded to this review, September 25, 2012
We are delighted to hear that our great service and wonderful amenities suited your vacation needs. Thank you for taking the time to give us your terrific feedback and we look forward to seeing you on your next visit.
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

We are a family of four, stayed at Atrium for 4days through RCI.
Resort was very easy to find, and we didn't have any trouble with the parking at the resort upon arrival.

LOCATION:
Virginia beach board was is 2 blocks away. I think the boardwalk area is starting at the 1st street to 40th street and this resort is on the 21st street- right at the center! It would've been nice to stay on the ocean front, but it's a nice alternative since you can still walk to the beach.

CHECK IN:
They couldn't locate my reservation at first because they had the wrong spelling of my name.
I wasn't too worried but it certainly wasn't a pleasant start.
I was quite surprised at the front desk and doubted at first since it looked like a regular desk for timeshare sales or something. They didn't have the typical look of the front desk with only two desks and it can take sometime to check in when it gets busy. I had two people in front of me and it was about 10min wait.

LOBBY/POOL:
Lobby area is pretty small and they have the pool at the lobby as well.
They managed to have all the activities at that small lobby like the crafts and movie nights
but it was just through a LCD TV in the lobby so nothing really fancy, I'll rather just watch a movie in my room. They have a small pool and decent size jacuzzi in the lobby as well.
Pool was great for little kids since it was really a heated, 88degree water temperature.
That was excellent for my little guy because he typically gets really cold in indoor pools.
Pool was great for kids,,, and it can get pretty crowded since it's small.
I would definitely feel awkward to be in the pool as a single adult or even as a couple. It's only 4feet deep as well. Oh- another plus was that they had pool toys and floatations that everybody can use. I've never seen that in any other places and thought it was nice.
They do provided pool towels but too bad you can only use it in the pool area.

KITCHEN:
I read some reviews that it was small but it was decent for a family like us with little kids.
Kitchen was small but they had all the supplies just like the real full kitchen!
I was pleasantly surprised with the glass top stove and tiny salt & pepper shaker they provided!
They also had a small sized dishwasher so that was another surprise. The only downside is the small, medical office like sink but the whole kitchen was better than I expected.

BATHROOM:
It was spacious and well stocked, super clean! just the way it should be.
If you're a hotel soap collector, don't expect too much from here. They actually have wall mounted soap dispensers! I actually think it's a nicer and cost effective way so it was a plus for me.

BEDROOM:
We stayed at one bedroom unit and loved the extra pillows and linens! It smelled fresh and clean.
Our king sized bed was comfortable. No complains...!
Loved the LCD tv mounted on the wall and ample storage in the room.

LIVINGROOM:
It's more like a living room/dining room since the 4person dining table was in it.
We didn't mind it. It had larger LCD TV mounted on the wall and we enjoyed it!
I have to say... that the living room was pretty dark. It could get brighter without the curtains covering the window, but that exposes your unit to the lobby so you really don't want to do that unless you're in the corner unit. I wish they had more brighter lights or more lights in the living room and extra phone next to the couch. Telephone is only the bedroom.

OVERALL:
It was nice cozy resort, perfect for a family with small kids. I'm not sure how to entertain your older kids at this resort but it works for preschoolers with the heated pool!
Oh-- forgot to mention that they pop the popcorns in a old fashioned machine in the lobby.
If you ask the front desk person, they'll give it to you for free. That was really nice to lure our kids to come out of the pool. =) They didn't make popcorns all the time, but it's there.

Room Tip: I thought getting a unit at the end of the hall would be nicer since you don't have to close you...
OKRMike, Manager at Atrium Resort, responded to this review, September 25, 2012
We are glad that our family-oriented atmosphere suited your vacation needs. Thank you taking the time to write this wonderful review and we hope that you will come back and see us on your next visit.
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

My wife and daughter and I spent a week in August at the Atrium. First impressions were off-putting – the building is a featureless boxy affair with ridiculously small windows, and the lobby area is uninviting and smells of chlorine. The place hardly seemed to qualify as a "resort." Once in our top-floor room, however, we felt better about it. The suite was spacious; the king-size bed was comfortable (even the sofabed was pretty good); the kitchen was fully equipped with a full-size refrigerator, stove, microwave, coffee-maker and utensils; and the bathroom was up to standard. WiFi access in the room was free of charge and functioned well. We had no problems with noisy neighbors. There were some minor annoyances, though: 1) there is only one elevator to serve all six floors, and the wait can be long, particularly at morning check-out time; 2) the “fitness center” hardly deserves the name (it has only 3 pieces of equipment, none in great condition), although Atrium guests do have fitness-center and pool privileges at the nearby Ocean Sands. Would definitely consider going back, but at the same time would probably check out other options.

Room Tip: Go for the top (sixth) floor -- but none of the rooms have good ocean views.
OKRMike, Manager at Atrium Resort, responded to this review, August 25, 2012
We are glad that the size of our suites, unit appliances, and resort amenities suited your vacation needs. Thank you for taking the time to write this review and we hope to see you on your next trip to Virginia Beach.
Virginia Beach
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

the elevator was broke down while I was checking in so I had to carry everything up the steps. they did have a work around working in about an hour (elevator got stuck when 5th floor was selected) and was fully fixed when I woke up the next morning. staff was friendly, room was nicer then expected, not the nicest room I've been in but still very nice. I prefer being on the beach but change of plans had me booking last minute. was still close enough we walked everywhere while we were there.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

OKRMike, Manager at Atrium Resort, responded to this review, August 25, 2012
We are pleased to hear that our staff and room amenities suited your vacation needs. Thank you for your excellent feedback and we look forward to seeing you in the near future.
Marlton, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012 via mobile

We just left there yesterday (Aug. 6 2012) & I have to say, for a sort of last minute vaca, it was great! Especially helpful we're Marco & Cory, but everyone there went out of there way to be polite & accommodating. There were plenty of linens, despite what other reviews have said. And why would u need new ones EVERY DAY? Try reusing for your environment. The proximity to the beach was perfect, not too noisy with party goers since we had kids with us. And the adjoining rooms were just what we needed so no one was overcrowded. Having a kitchen was an added money saving bonus. Definitely will stay there again when we return to Va Beach. I highly recommend staying here.

• Stayed August 2012
OKRMike, Manager at Atrium Resort, responded to this review, August 25, 2012
We are honored that you chose the Atrium. Thank you for taking the time to acknowledge Marco and Corey and the great work they do. We are glad to hear our location, service, and amenities suited your vacation needs. Thank you again for writing this great review and we look forward to seeing you on your next visit.

Been to Atrium Resort? Share your experiences!